Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott says all U.S. hotels to have high speed internet by end of year

Old Nov 22, 04, 4:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan & Manufactured Spending
Original Poster

WASHINGTON, Nov. 15 /PRNewswire/ -- Travelers can now choose from more
than 2,400 Marriott International, Inc. (NYSE: MAR) hotels and resorts
worldwide with high-speed internet access. Marriott leads the hotel industry
in providing high-speed connections so business travelers, who are
increasingly selecting hotels based on its availability, can stay productive
on the road.
Within the U.S., over 95 percent of Marriott hotels currently have in-room high-speed connections across the JW Marriott Hotels & Resorts, Marriott
Hotels & Resorts, Renaissance Hotels & Resorts, Courtyard, Residence Inn,
Fairfield Inn, TownePlace Suites and SpringHill Suites brands. This compared
to a 2004 industry survey that found 50 percent of hotels now offer guests
this service. Marriott expects to complete installation of high-speed
internet access at all of its U.S. hotels by the end of this year.
More business travelers are taking advantage of high-speed connections.
In September 2004, guests staying at Marriott hotels in North America logged
onto the internet more than two million times using high-speed connections
from their hotel rooms. That amount is up more than 300 percent from
September 2003.
Marriott is also furthering productivity by offering WiFi at more than
1,900 hotels, primarily in public areas and meeting rooms, which also leads
the hotel industry.
High-speed internet access is free at Courtyard, Residence Inn, Fairfield
Inn, TownePlace Suites and SpringHill Suites hotels.
Marriott offers "Wired for Business" at Marriott and Renaissance hotels.
"Wired for Business" delivers in-room high-speed internet access and unlimited
local and long-distance phone calls within the U.S. for $9.95 per day. The
service is designed to meet the needs of guests who want to stay connected to work and home by offering them a bundle of communications services for one low price.
Old Nov 22, 04, 9:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.8M, Marriott PLT, *wood GLD, Bombay Sapphire
Now if they could only extend the free high-speed internet to include Renaissance and full-service Marriott properties, then I might be excited
Old Nov 23, 04, 11:11 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Plat, AA Plat
Yes, also abroad please.

My UK Marriott (my only residence at the moment, sadly) just implement charges for Wireless -- GPB 20 PER HOUR.

I am thinking of moving. Things are going downhill...
Old Nov 23, 04, 12:41 pm

It is so strange that for lower priced hotel rooms at (Courtyard, Residence Inn, Fairfield Inn, TownePlace Suites and SpringHill Suites hotels) the wireless is free. For higher priced Renaissance and Marriott hotels, not only do the rooms cost more, but the internet access is charged.

I guess it is like flying JetBlue.... It is a 'cheaper' airline, yet you get 36 channels of free in-flight television, leather on every seat, no saturday night stay required, only $25 change fee, etc., etc....
Old Nov 23, 04, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K - 2MM, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by steve100
It is so strange that for lower priced hotel rooms at (Courtyard, Residence Inn, Fairfield Inn, TownePlace Suites and SpringHill Suites hotels) the wireless is free. For higher priced Renaissance and Marriott hotels, not only do the rooms cost more, but the internet access is charged.

I guess it is like flying JetBlue.... It is a 'cheaper' airline, yet you get 36 channels of free in-flight television, leather on every seat, no saturday night stay required, only $25 change fee, etc., etc....
I think the decision for the upscale properties to charge for high speed is ridiculous. The rates they charge, the high speed should be part of the stay. At the very least, include the charge as part of the hotel rate. I appreciate the Platinum gift and access to the Concierge level when I stay at the upscale properties but I hate to spend the daily rate for high speed. For what that is worth, I will stay at the mid-level and lower end properties.
Old Nov 27, 04, 7:51 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

And I guess all high-speed internet is not the same.

I was at the Courtyard North in Charlottesville (Virginia) last month for a week, and the connection would not work for my laptop (something about a Dell, they said), so I had to settle for sucking it through a telephone line with a 24k modem. (You can actually catch catnaps while pages load!)

Earlier this month, I wound up at a nice Fairfield Inn, and the connection was a snap. Same laptop, too.
Old Nov 27, 04, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM Marriott: Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by steve100

I have heard various opinions as to why the upscale properties charge and the mid and low-end ones do not. The most prevalent theory is that many who stay in the higher end properties are on an expense account and can presumably charge off the HS access.
But, regardless, I think you'll see HS internet as a "free" product in most hotel chains in the next 12-18 months. Or at least a freebie for elite members. All it'll take is one chain...be it Starwood, Hilton, Marriott, etc.....deciding to include this as part of the room cost and the others will quickly follow suit.
Maybe some of the old-timers in this Forum can remember when TV's first started showing up in hotels in the 50's. Many were pay TV and required plunking quarters into a box to watch a program. That didn't last long.....and I don't believe this will either.
Old Nov 27, 04, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA PM (by 2MM), DL GM (by 3.5MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat
Hey - It's one thing to issue a press release, which they did last year - saying that all non-Fairfiield US properties were to have HS internet by Dec 2003. Well guess what - here we are in Nov 2004 and No HS internet is "normal" in several properties I go to - and some saying they won't have it anytime soon!

I'd rather see a plan, with implementation dates per hotel rather than a press release. Anyone can write anything they want in a press release, it rarely is completely true. This one sure isn't nor was the one last year.

I for one am fed up with the excuses.

ALL MARRIOTT PROPERTIES SHOULD HAVE HS INTERNET IN ALL ROOMS. PEROID (and yes, caps intended!) And that includes vaction club properties as well (at least the Phuket beach club has it...)

I further believe it sould be free, at least for elites (otherwise, it does alter my behavior on which property I select). I stay at far more "lower class" brands that now offer HS internet, because it comes out of MY pocket and I have to factor it into the cost of the rooms.

Billy
Old Nov 27, 04, 1:43 pm

Programs: DL PM (0.9MM), MR PM, National Ex+, blah blah blah
I modify my reservation habits as well based on available FREE high-speed internet connections. I had a choice recently between two Marriot properties in Baltimore, Hunt Valley Marriott, & Courtyard, I chose the CY because HSI was free, while it was $10/day at the Marriott. I was initially going to stay at the Marriott, but changed due to the HS cost. And I am on an expense account, but my company will not pay extra for HS access.

Marriott really needs to get with the program at ALL their properties. Free HS internet access is a requirement for my business. Free Wi-Fi is even better.
Old Nov 27, 04, 3:26 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by Delta3MM
ALL MARRIOTT PROPERTIES SHOULD HAVE HS INTERNET IN ALL ROOMS. PEROID (and yes, caps intended!) And that includes vaction club properties as well

I stay at the Vacation Club properties three or four times a year and would love to see it there. Problem is that the established Vacation Clubs are no longer owned by Marriott....Marriott just manages them. It would require a majority of the owners to vote on and fund this and I don't see that happening.
I once brought this subject up at an owners meeting and was basically told to get a life......
Old Nov 27, 04, 3:51 pm

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by Cholula
Maybe some of the old-timers in this Forum can remember when TV's first started showing up in hotels in the 50's. Many were pay TV and required plunking quarters into a box to watch a program. That didn't last long.....and I don't believe this will either.
Wasnít that something akin to 50 years ago?

I am old enough to remember the beds that vibrated when one put in a quarter. I donít remember seeing one of those in while. Maybe this internet thing is just a fad like the vibrating bed and it will never last.
Old Nov 27, 04, 8:38 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by longing4piedmont
Wasnít that something akin to 50 years ago?

I am old enough to remember the beds that vibrated when one put in a quarter. I donít remember seeing one of those in while. Maybe this internet thing is just a fad like the vibrating bed and it will never last.

Yeah...subtract 50 years from 2004 and you end up in the 1950's...
The point is that motels charged for TV when it first came out and then dropped the charge. IMO, the same will happen with HS Internet and who knows what else will be invented next year...
Old Nov 28, 04, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Cholula
I stay at the Vacation Club properties three or four times a year and would love to see it there. Problem is that the established Vacation Clubs are no longer owned by Marriott....Marriott just manages them. It would require a majority of the owners to vote on and fund this and I don't see that happening.
I once brought this subject up at an owners meeting and was basically told to get a life......
I know of 1 MVCI in FL that was suppose to discuss it this year at the board mtg...but haven't heard the outcome.....but I think too they will end up with it before too long as the owners want it avail during their vacations too
Old Nov 28, 04, 10:34 am

We DO need FREE HS Internet at Full Service Properties

Originally Posted by javajunkie
I modify my reservation habits as well based on available FREE high-speed internet connections. I had a choice recently between two Marriot properties in Baltimore, Hunt Valley Marriott, & Courtyard, I chose the CY because HSI was free, while it was $10/day at the Marriott. I was initially going to stay at the Marriott, but changed due to the HS cost. And I am on an expense account, but my company will not pay extra for HS access.

Marriott really needs to get with the program at ALL their properties. Free HS internet access is a requirement for my business. Free Wi-Fi is even better.
I have spoken with many General Managers and Resident Managers about the high speed internet charges they apply at their full service properties. They have been quick to point out that the full service properties have higher operating expenses than the limited service properties, and they need to charge for ammenities such as HS internet to offset these higher costs. That's funny, I thought that was why I was paying $50+ more per night on most occassions to stay at these full service properties. I too travel on an expense account, and in some instances I am asked why I am expensing the internet charges at Marriott when the Courtyard (OR various Wyndham properties, etc.) are providing this as a free service. If Marriott does not get its collective act together, then some of us may be forced to make our lodging decisions based upon the fees (or lack thereof) of this nature. Some of the General Managers have also been quick to point out that this "fee" also includes unlimited local and long distance calls. Thanks, but that is why I have the cell phone plan that I do...unlimited night and weekend calls. It will be interesting to see how fast they turn the imposition of these fees around. It is the ONE significant issue I have with Marriott...as they are excellent on so many other levels. But this is becoming a BIG issue, so we'll see...