Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Visa Double Points Promo

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2004, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Ex Marriot Platinum, CO Gold
Visa Double Points Promo - When will it happen again?

Do these promotions come around once a year?

I was really able to capitalize on this last year, and I was wondering how often these promotions come around?

Last edited by eduboys; Aug 25, 2004 at 9:03 am
Old Aug 25, 2004, 6:55 am

Programs: UA, MR, AA
There was one in March that ran thru 6/30. Double points on selected items i.e. gas, restaurants, utilities, etc...
Old Aug 25, 2004, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Ex Marriot Platinum, CO Gold
Originally Posted by Triple7
There was one in March that ran thru 6/30. Double points on selected items i.e. gas, restaurants, utilities, etc...
I was referring to stays at Marriott properties. I belive it was aorund september of last year that each stay you received double the amount of Marriott Reward points.
Old Aug 25, 2004, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, me too. I picked up a lot of point on this earlier in the year. I have about 30 nights or so between now and the end of the year, and a whole lot more next year. Even got the Marriott Visa. Would sure like to pick up double points for a couple of months! That's why I got all excited when I read the title!
Old Aug 25, 2004, 8:55 am

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Looking at my acct, my stays between 10/10/2003 and 1/30/2004 all got the double points by paying with Visa.

And next time pick a better thread title - this one is misleading. Dangling double points - well, a lot of laptop keyboards got ruined today as we drooled on them...
Old Aug 25, 2004, 12:31 pm

Programs: Marriott- Platinum, US Airways- Chairmans Preferred
Originally Posted by gardener
Looking at my acct, my stays between 10/10/2003 and 1/30/2004 all got the double points by paying with Visa.

And next time pick a better thread title - this one is misleading. Dangling double points - well, a lot of laptop keyboards got ruined today as we drooled on them...
Same here man...Saw the Double Points....Couple of drops fell on the space bar...haha
Old Oct 9, 2004, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
I just got a mailing last week- double points on the Visa for anything over $5,000 per month spent 10/1 through 12/31/04. That includes double points (4 points per $ spent) for Marriott stays.

They probably set my threshold high- I charge my son's tuition on the card and have used it to pay for some home improvements, so they're used to a high monthly balance (which I always pay off in full). This is great timing, though- we just added a sunroom to the house which will go on the Visa and have room, board and tuition coming up in December.
Old Oct 9, 2004, 7:41 pm

Dilemma - pay with Visa and double points over threshold
or, pay with Amex and get 5ooo points after 3 stays

I think Amex wins
Old Oct 11, 2004, 11:06 pm

Programs: US 1 Mar Plt Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jerseygirl
Dilemma - pay with Visa and double points over threshold
or, pay with Amex and get 5ooo points after 3 stays

I think Amex wins
Normally I'd pay with the MR Visa, but with several single night "stays" planned at 2nd tier properties it makes sense to use the AMEX.
I may actually "trade down" to CY's and SHS's for single night stays over the next few months as opposed to my customary multiple night bookings at full service properties.
This must be a scary one for the marketing folks at MR. In their zeal to change behavior with Marriott elites they run the risk of actually having folks reduce revenue spent (stay in cheaper properties) in order to maximize points as opposed to increasing their spend at higher end properties with a double/double event.
With a new and improved T&E budget beginning with last weeks fiscal year start, I plan to embark on a mission to illustrate the downside of a potentially flawed program to my marketing dept.
During last years double/double event I stayed at full-service properties and ran up significant incidentals to maximize my points (and ultimately Marriott's revenue). This year I am going to reduce my spending by staying at the cheapest acceptable Marriott property I can find. I hope the deal with AMEX is worth it!!

I was taught to "trade your customers up". Things must be good at Marriott since this event does not achieve that result and it drives loyalists away from their branded Visa card.
Old Oct 12, 2004, 4:31 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
VERY good point foodguy!Hope the suits at Marriott take note.
I am alergic to AMEX!
Old Oct 12, 2004, 8:15 pm

I just got my mailing for double points after $350 for purchases between 10/01 and 12/31/04. This card is not my main point earning credit card so my threshold is lower.
Old Oct 12, 2004, 9:19 pm

Programs: United No Status Anymore, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Silver, SPG Blue
??

Double points after $350 on your MR Visa???

Did it come in Visa mail or MR mail?
Old Oct 20, 2004, 7:57 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
The offer I got in the mail is for double points after $1,200.00 for 10/1-12/31. Also get 4 points per dollar charges at Marriott properties.
Old Oct 20, 2004, 8:52 pm

Programs: United No Status Anymore, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Silver, SPG Blue
??

Did this offer come with your bill or as a separate mailing? We haven't gotten it yet. THANKS FOR THE INFO!!!
Old Oct 21, 2004, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
Mine came in regular snail mail- not with the bill.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.