Wiki Posts
Search

Courtyard at Wilmington,DE

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2004, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Cattle Class
Courtyard at Wilmington,DE

Hello all, my friend has a biz trip coming up going to wilmington delaware. she's deciding if she should choose the courtyard at wilmington or the wyhdam hotel. (others brand name hotels are fully booked) she wants to know how good (or bad) is this hotel and also about the surrounding areas. is it safe for her to drive back to the hotel at nite?

thanks in advance!!
Old Aug 17, 2004, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Which Courtyard near Wilmington? I am aware of two.

Bruce
Old Aug 18, 2004, 6:13 pm

Programs: AA Plat; HH Gold; Marriott Silver; UCLA Fan
I stayed at the Downtown Wilmington Courtyard for 3 nts during the Christmas holidays 2 years ago visiting a relative. It's right in the middle of downtown and in a safe area. A very basic hotel, as it's a CY, not a full-blown Marriott. The area had no activity or traffic, as all businesses were shut down for the holiday weekend. The desk clerk said the hotel was only 10% full, and my $59 rate got me a "jacuzzi room" on the top floor with a clear view of that side of downtown. The bed was comfortable, the TV worked, and the shower had hot water and they provided a hair dryer, so I was happy.
Old Aug 18, 2004, 10:34 pm

Avoid the Brandywine location - the hotel should have been renovated years ago - the property is VERY tired.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 11:14 pm

Programs: MR Gold, Hilton Gold, US Silver, WN No Luv
My search for Wilmington only turned up this forum. Any recent reviews for the CY's in Wilmington? I know they are only CYs but looks like that's all my corporate bean counters will spring for this time.
Old Oct 24, 2006, 9:36 pm

Trip advisor has some reviews. Here is the link for the downtown location:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._Delaware.html

I am staying there in May 2007 for the marathon but all I know is what I've read on the reviews with trip advisor-hope this helps!
Old Oct 25, 2006, 8:36 pm

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
I drove by this hotel on my home from the train station. Can't tell you much about the inside except that the lobby and bar area looked nice. The hotel is in a pretty dead area of Wilmington. I don't know what there is to do around this area at night.

If you can swing it, check out the Courtyard Wilmington Brandywine. It can't be more than 5 miles away and has the benefit of having shops, malls and quite a few chain restaurants nearby. [Edited to add: I thought this hotel was built within the last 10 years...surprised to hear it's so worn down]
Old Oct 25, 2006, 8:41 pm

I stayed at the Courtyard Brandywine in January of this year and it still has not been updated. It is basically clean, but it is definitely showing its age. As a previous poster pointed out, it is close to restaurants and a mall, but that is the only thing it has going for it. I have never stayed at the CY downtown.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 9:12 pm

Programs: DL, US, AA, MR
N. Wilmington Courtyard

Can't tell you about the inside of either location, but I can share with you information about the area... Not sure how much time you'll have to explore.

The North Wilmington location is part of a cluster of hotels that include Homewood Suites and MacIntosh and off of a main road that is walking distance from the following restaurants: TGIFridays, Olive Garden, and Lone Star Steak House. Just N of these restaurants is Kohls.

Less then a mile N of the hotel is the Concord Mall with Macy's, Sears and Boscov's as its anchors. Champps Sports Bar, Ruby Tuesdays and Riveria Pizza are its waitress-service restaurants and there's a few Food Court type places at the N End of the mall. There's also a Barnes & Noble and Best Buy.

N of the Mall is a "strip" mall with Target, with a Dick's Sporting Goods, Bed Bath & Beyond, Old Navy and a few other stores around back. The Regal Cinemas is also located there.

South of the Hotel you'll find some more restaurants (Damon's, Chili's, Macaroni Grill, Jasmine's (a nice Thai Place), Bertucci's, a Diner, etc.), other strip type malls, the Jewish Community Center and a YMCA.

Need more info? PM or post a reply and I'll try and check back to respond
Old Oct 26, 2006, 9:51 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select Plus
Brandywine Courtyard

The Brandywine Courtyard underwent renovations in March while I stayed at the property. Hopefully the finished product is better than the mess that was on going during the renovations. The contractors were allowed to go through the hotel at will, and one day had ripped down all of the room numbers from the doors without temporary replacements, left cans of paint and spackle in the hallway, in addition to blocking the stairwells with trash and construction equipment. It was a general disaster area. When I spoke to the assistant manager, she admitted that hotel management team had no idea what the contractors were doing and they just hadn't had time to walk through the hotel to see what was going on.

One plus about this property, at that time they did give out Platinum Breakfast coupons and were having a weekly Manager's Reception. I believe this was to compete with the Homewood Suites next door, which is a newer/nicer property and offers those amenities.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 7:04 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
The downtown cy wilmington is great. VERY nice inside, the ONLY bad part of the hotel is the road was being worked on and kinda rough outside...other then that it is one of the nicest cy's i have been in. I stay here all the time when I am in wilmington, and I really do not like CY's. The staff there is very friendly and helpful. Parking garage is safe and secure!
Old Oct 27, 2006, 9:34 pm

Programs: MR Gold, Hilton Gold, US Silver, WN No Luv
Thanks everyone for the feedback! I didn't have the chance to post again before stayed there last night but was able to read your posts.

To give an update to those who may stay in the future:
This is for the Downtown Courtyard, on West street. As has been pointed out, the property is located in a quiet part of town. Not much to choose from nearby in terms of restaurants. No starbucks either, as far as I could tell! Had to settle for the complimentary Maxwell house coffee machine downstairs.
The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. Never seen a nicer bunch.
There are 9 floors, but unless you are above floor 6 you only have a view of concrete walls or parking garages. Even above floor 6 there's not much to look at. It's a very small property, only about 16 rooms per floor.
Despite the small size it has a good size gym and if that doesn't suit you there is a YMCA a block away. I don't know for sure if the Y has a day pass program but would assume they do.
Parking was $9/day in a public garage right around the corner.

Is that it? Oh yeah, rooms were clean--as can be expected from a Courtyard. My boss got a nice jacuzzi bathtub but I was left with a standard room. Breakfast at the restaurant was fast and efficient, but basic.

Next time I'm in town I will check out the Brandywine! Got to try to complete the Megabonus!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.