Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Baltimore Marriott Hunt Valley Inn

Old Aug 16, 04, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Expl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question Baltimore Marriott Hunt Valley Inn

Does anyone know about how much a taxi costs to travel to the Hunt Valley Marriott from Dulles? From BWI? I realize BWI is closer, but flying into Dulles might be cheaper and easier for me.

Also, what is the best way of getting into DC from the hotel and about how long does that take?

Thanks for any info.
Old Aug 16, 04, 1:44 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IC Platinum, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Does anyone know about how much a taxi costs to travel to the Hunt Valley Marriott from Dulles? From BWI? I realize BWI is closer, but flying into Dulles might be cheaper and easier for me.

Also, what is the best way of getting into DC from the hotel and about how long does that take?

Thanks for any info.
Hunt Valley to BWI is about 25 minutes. Hunt Valley to Dulles would probably be 1:15 to an hr and half. If it's anytime around rush hour you can double that. No idea on taxi cost, but I'm sure it would be very expensive.
Old Aug 16, 04, 1:52 pm

Programs: PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Gold Elite, UA 2P, Starwood Gold, Avis First, Bolt Bus $1 Rider

Thanks for any info.
option 1
you can take the bus from dulles to west falls church metro - $8
west falls church metro to Greenbelt metro - $3
express bus from greenbelt metro stato to bwi - $3

3 hour minimum
in non rush hour traffic

in rush hour - ALL of these will feel like a lifetime

then BWI to Hunt valley

option 2
super shuttle
bwi to hunt valley - $50 ? - you will have to call and check

45 mins - non rush hour

option 3
dulles to west falls church metro $8
west falls church to penn station Dc $3
train to bwi $5 to $30

supershuttle to hunt valley $20 to $30
taxi to Hunt Valley Your first born

option 4
rent a car at dulles
should have free parking at hunt valley
$50 + gas
2 hours - no traffic
Old Aug 16, 04, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
The Hunt Vallery Marriott has free parking (lots of it).

The light-rail system from BWI does go to Hunt Valley. The station is in the mall across a major thoroughfare from the hotel. About a five minute walk. You do need to change lines (yellow is BWI / blue is Hunt Valley) and the whole trip, with connection, takes about 90 minutes.

So you can take the bus to Falls Church, the Metro (orange Line) to downtown DC and then connect to the Green Line which will take you out to Greenbelt and then the M30(?) bus to BWI and then light rail if you don't want to rent a car. I imagine it would be 4-5 hours, all total.

Driving to the HVM, in no traffic, from DCA took me about two hours. I got a great rate DCA-BWI one-way on a Sunday from Hertz - $23. As jessej noted, traffic can add an hour or more to that (be it driving or bussing).

The Sunday Brunch at the Cinnamon Tree restaurant there is the best I have ever had. Most recommended. The "regular" fare is also exceptional.
Old Aug 19, 04, 3:35 pm
btr

Programs: IHG, MP, Enterprise+

Thanks for any info.
I recently moved from that general area, so I'll comment on getting to DC from Hunt Valley.

Driving:
If you're doing it as a rush-hour commute, you're not going to like it. You'll have to deal with the Baltimore rush AND the DC rush. In Baltimore, you've basically got a choice between I-695 (beltway) around the West side, or I-895 (toll) "down the middle". Either way has big potential drawbacks. Count on 30 minutes to clear Baltimore non-rush (e.g. get to BWI). Multiply by 2-4 for rush hour. Then there's DC. You didn't say where in DC you needed to go, so I'll assume Tyson's Corner. It'll take 45 minutes to do that non-rush, and again multiply by 2-4 for rush-hour. You'd better be passing BWI by 05:00 for morning rush or leaving DC before 15:00 for evening rush or you'll wish you had, and probably learn a few new words too

Trains:
If you're into trains, you can take light rail to BWI as SEA_Tiger points out, and from there take MARC to DC/Union Station. See http://www.mtamaryland.com/services/marc. The MARC trips are on the order of 45-60 minutes (you still have to get there, and do it early enough to get tix and board). It may not be faster, but you need less blood-pressure medicine Last I checked, you can get weekly and monthly passes at a reduced rate over daily tickets. The nice thing about this is that you can connect directly to DC's metro without going outside. Watch the regular commuters, you'll think you're in a stampede though.

Taxis:
I used to live 10 minutes from BWI - a taxi trip home was $20. I can't imagine the rate from Hunt Valley to DC. Getting a taxi from somewhere other than the airport may be cheaper, but I wouldn't try it unless the person paying your bills has really deep pockets. There are also a various commuter vanpool options available out there, but I've not done any real research on them.

If your focus is DC, I *strongly* suggest getting at least on the other side of Baltimore: Columbia and Laurel are reasonable locales to stay in. Marc has stations in those areas as well (Jessup/Laurel). You'll also be closer to BWI, DCA and IAD.

Hope this helps and that I've not strayed too far off topic.
-btr
Old Sep 15, 04, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Expl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question How to get to Hunt Valley Marriott from DC?

Thanks to those who offered advice last month on getting to the Hunt Valley Marriott (outside Baltimore) from BWI and Dulles. I now plan on going there from DC by public transportation. Is the best way to take Amtrak to the Baltimore Amtrak station and then the light rail? If so, about how long does the light rail take and how much does it cost? If not, is there some commuter train and station I should use?

If I take a taxi to the hotel from Baltimore, is it best to go to the Amtrak station or is there some other station I should go to? And how much would the taxi be?

Thanks for any advice!
Old Sep 15, 04, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, you can take the Metro Green line out to Greenbelt Station. From there you take the B30 bus from the station to BWI. Then you take the shuttle bus from BWI Station to North Linthicum station and take the Blue Line light rail to Hunt Valley.

For the Light Rail, you want to buy the Day Pass for $3.50, as sometimes the one-way expires before you reach HV and the transit cops are pretty dilligent about checking for fares. The B30 is like $2.50 (cash only). And Metro depends on how far you are going (DCA to Greenbelt is probably around $4. Metro Center to Greenbelt is probably around $3.50).

DCA/Metro Center to Greenbelt is about an hour or so. The B30 can take upwards of 90-120 minutes depending on traffic (I took it on weekends so traffic was light).

Travel time from BWI to Hunt Valley was about 90 minutes (including the Yellow Line to Blue Line transfer which is no longer required), but I do not know how long the shuttle bus adds. Check the schedule to see.

Consider renting a car. I got a one-way Full Size DCA-BWI on a Sunday for $25 from Hertz. Driving takes about two hours or so and is all highway.
Old Sep 15, 04, 9:54 pm

Programs: US 1 Mar Plt Hertz PC
I live in the Baltimore area. My recommendation is to rent a car. There are too many variables and connections necessary to make the trip from DC to Hunt Valley via public transportation time and price efficient.
Old May 20, 07, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz PC

My family just completed a weekend stay at the Baltimore Marriott Inner Harbor at Camden Yards. It was a good weekend, but little thanks to this tired property. The staff was friendly, but this was clearly our least favorite of the three downtown Baltimore full-service choices.

So we're thinking that maybe in the future we'll try this more out-of-the-way location. Any reviews or recommendations?
Old May 21, 07, 12:37 am
rln

I've stayed at the Hunt Valley Marriott a number of times - most recently, a few weeks ago. The rates are always substantially less than those posted at the Inner Harbor properties. The C-Lounge is quite good - almost right up there with the Inner Harbor Renaissance. Its an interesting property seemingly set up for conferences. You may find it "tired" if you're looking for something that "sparkles." Still, I find it quite nice. The only "negative" (and I find it more than offset by the lower price) is its location at the last stop on the Light Rail line (specifically, a five minute walk from the Hunt Valley end of the line stop) Its about 35 minutes ride from the Inner Harbor. If you are renting a car, this won't present any problem. If you aren't renting a car, you probably know that you can ride the light rail all day for about two and a half dollars. If you haven't yet seen it, check out the popular culture museum which is located next to the sports legends museum at Camden Yards.
Old May 21, 07, 4:23 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
The Hunt Valley Inn was built in the early 70's by McCormick (the spice company) as they were moving their offices from the Inner Harbor to Hunt Valley. (why it looks like it was built for conferences.) They later sold to Marriott. I have stayed here for $99 quite often; and as mentioned, CL lounge is excellent and staff is exceptionally friendly. Food from room service has been good too - but there are also a lot of restaurants in the area. The location IS out in the northernmost suburbs - but it is an easy drive to the Inner Harbor. For my family, it centers us better to add Hershey and Lancaster if we desire. (We get a car; use light rail for Inner Harbor; drive to all else) The property IS older, but (depending on your point of view) ; think RETRO vs tired!
Old May 28, 07, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I visit twice a year for conventions and the Sunday afternoon brunch at the Cinnamon Tree restaurant is amazing. I do like the hotel very much.
Old May 29, 07, 9:24 am

Before relocating to Baltimore full-time, I stayed in this hotel for a few weeks. The service is fantastic though the interior is a bit tired.

The Courtyard about 1/4 mile away (across Shawan Road) has fantastic beds, but the staff isn't as nice and no room service.
Old Jun 25, 07, 2:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier, AAdvantage Platinum (1MM Lifetime Gold), Avis First
Question Baltimore Marriott Hunt Valley Inn

Any feedback on this hotel? I am there this week?

Last edited by Northern Traveler; Jun 25, 07 at 5:19 pm
Old Jun 26, 07, 3:28 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
there a few weeks ago - nothing has changed.....

As stated in earlier posts, this hotel is great on service, has very good food, an excellent CL; and is convenient to shopping and other restaurants. Nice pool, bar, and work-out room. It is not new. If you can think retro vs old or dated, you will be happy with this hotel. I will take good food and service over sparkle any day of the week; so I always enjoy my stay here.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: