Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Parking fees at hotels (and possible discounts) [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Parking fees at hotels (and possible discounts) [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2018, 7:13 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by nacho
Denver Marriott Tech Center - another hotel that just gated up their parking lot and charge $16/night. The hotel is surrounded by offices and when we were there during a weekend, the lot across the street is literally empty. There were signs everywhere saying that hotel guests are not allowed to park there - and you know why.
On my last stay at this property, the parking lot gates were left open for numerous parties/conferences held at the hotel. Local customers filled the spaces in the lot for free, and there were just a few faraway spaces left for hotel guests. I complained to the FD at checkout and they removed parking fees.
Old May 17, 2018, 7:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Contrary to the above, properties charge fees for things for which they can charge fees. They don't charge fees for things for which they can't. If parking fees were driving away customers, they would be reduced or eliminated. Clearly, despite the rants here, people are paying the fees and not jumping ship to less convenient places which include parking.

On the other hand, people expect a health club and a pool and they will stay elsewhere if they don't have access. So, the health club and pool is included and the parking is not.

Finally, business travelers can generally expense parking while they may not be able to expense health clubs and pools. While parking may bring the effective rate up, that isn't the way most businesses look at things.

Bottom line here is that if you don't want to pay for parking, stay at a place which does not charge for it.
clarkef likes this.
Old May 18, 2018, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Resort fee for a SF hotel!? That's ridiculous. I guess it doesn't include parking.
Old May 18, 2018, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by cbn42
I for one am quite happy to see hotels charging for parking. Our society has subsidized driving ever since the dawn of the automobile, through taxes for road construction, regulations requiring businesses to provide a certain number of parking spaces, and so on. This has resulted in pollution, gridlock, and other costs.

There will always be people arriving by other means of transport, especially now that Uber and similar services are more common, and it is unfair to make them subsidize the cost of the parking lot. Even if the hotel has been there forever and the lot is already paid for, land still has an opportunity cost. If hotels didn't charge for parking, they would raise room rates or cut some other service to save money, especially in competitive markets.

When I have a car at a hotel, I will investigate other options to park it and see if it is worth the cost to park off site. It is understood that things at a hotel, such as from the in-room bar, are more expensive due to the convenience, and parking would be no different. I also consider the cost of parking when deciding whether to rent a car or not.

I support mandatory prominent disclosure of all optional charges, but given the current DOT's attitude towards consumers, I'm not holding my breath.
How do you get to the hotel? You don't have to be driving your own car to benefit from road taxes and supporting infrastructure. Imagine what ground transportation would be if roads weren't maintained or there weren't regulations regarding off-street parking. Cause and effect plays out in many aspects of everyone's life. If we didn't have private transportation, what would public transportation look like? Fortunately we do have options and everyone gets to choose what they like (most times).

I don't like sneaky fees. Full disclosure should not need to be mandated, just delivered. If your product is not distinctive enough to justify the total cost don't try to blindside the customer. Competition drives prices both ways, up and down. If your neighboring business is able to charge for something, then you can too. If they cut their prices, then you may lose customers if you don't unless you offer something they don't. It is a supply and demand economy out there.
Old May 24, 2018, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by writerguyfl
The highlighted text is not correct. Destination Marketing Fees do not go to the hoteliers...the money (usually) goes to the local tourism board. There is a difference.

For the record, I'm NOT saying I agree with these types of fees. I'm merely pointing out that hotels don't keep that money.
That depends on the area.

Niagara Falls / Southern Ontario hotels charge a "DMF" which is optional and can be removed at the customer's request. The merchant (gift shop, restaurant, hotel, tacky tourist trap on the side of the road) keeps 100% of what is collected.

In Tampa, Florida, you have hotels charging extra fees beyond the state-regulated maximums, which goes to the "Hillsborough County Hotel and Motel Association", a privately-owned made-up association made up of hotel owners, so it's going right back into the hoteliers' pockets again.

There are some areas where it goes to a tourist board, but there are plenty of places where it goes right back into their pockets instead.
Old May 24, 2018, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by cbn42
There will always be people arriving by other means of transport, especially now that Uber and similar services are more common, and it is unfair to make them subsidize the cost of the parking lot.
You do realize that some airports (BOS) are considering fees for dropping people off, even if in a private (non-taxi, non-ride-sharing) vehicle?

Should a hotel charge for electricity & water? After all, if I have the AC cranked full-throttle while leaving the windows open all day and take two full baths a day, I'm using more resources than someone who just came to the hotel to flop for the night & go. There's definitely a direct cost of providing electricity & water to me, even though the wiring & pipes have been in-place forever.

At some point the endless fees need to stop. Raise the prices and call it done. There have been many times (even this year) where I've skipped staying at a property which charges for parking and their competitor did not.
Old May 24, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by mroseman13
The Seattle Marriott Redmond charges $25/day for parking, but there is free parallel parking right next to the hotel.
Originally Posted by Enginerd
Look, I get it at primo locations, like FS Fisherman's Wharf ... I think they charge $55/night
The SF CY on 2nd and Howard charges $62, IIRC ... I did the math one time and realized a parking ticket was cheaper
dgreen12 likes this.
Old May 25, 2018, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
The SF CY on 2nd and Howard charges $62, IIRC ... I did the math one time and realized a parking ticket was cheaper
Not when it's a rental - $35 on top of whatever the ticket costs.
Old May 25, 2018, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by nacho
Not when it's a rental - $35 on top of whatever the ticket costs.
That uplift is if the rental agency gets notified. If you mail in the payment with the ticket there is no need for the agency to even know (at least that's worked for me).
Old May 25, 2018, 7:39 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Your car is very likely to get broken into or vandalized parking overnight on the streets in SF these days.
Old May 25, 2018, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by RogerD408
If you mail in the payment with the ticket there is no need for the agency to even know
Yup. I have an account with the Toll Roads, and same thing- if I add my rental's plate to my account for the days I've had it, the tolls get paid out of my account and National (et al.) never get notified.

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Your car is very likely to get broken into or vandalized parking overnight on the streets in SF these days.
Not "very" more likely than any other major city.
Old May 25, 2018, 12:30 pm

Programs: IHG Ambassador , Marriott platinum, United, Delta
just looking at Marquis $77parking
Old May 25, 2018, 12:43 pm

Good thing about the Marquis though (vs. the 2nd/Howard CY) is there's a couple of parking lots right across the street that'll easily save you half.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 10:20 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, National Executive Elite
I got a room for a friend at the Renaissance Downtown Cincinnati. Valet added an extra $38 to the bill. I won't say he's a bad friend, but that's a high price to park in Cincy!
Old Jun 21, 2018, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Why? Roaming packs of millenials who detest the carbon footprint of a veihicle, internal combustion or battery powered irrespective?

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.