Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in San Francisco

Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wcj1
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.

Below is a list of hotels Marriott has listed for San Francisco. Where there is a specific "Master" threads for a hotel, the name is a link to that thread:

Luxury:
St Regis San Francisco
Ritz Carlton San Francisco

Full Service:
W Hotel San Francisco
JW Marriott Union Square San Francisco
San Francisco Marriott Union Square
San Francisco Marriott Marquis
San Francisco Marriott Fisherman's Wharf
Marriott SoMA Mission Bay [San Francisco]
[GONE] Park Central (was Westin Market Street) San Francisco (rebranded as Hyatt)
Westin St. Francis, San Francisco
Westin SFO San Francisco Airport
Palace Hotel, San Francisco
Le Meridien Hotel San Francisco
San Francisco Proper, Design Hotel
Adagio Hotel, Autograph Collection (San Francisco, CA)
[GONE] Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf, San Francisco (re-branded as Riu Plaza San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf as of 12NOV19 - see post 134 in thread)
AC Hotel San Francisco Airport/Oyster Point Waterfront

Limited Service:
Courtyard San Francisco Downtown/Van Ness Ave
Courtyard San Francisco Union Square
Courtyard San Francisco Airport/Oyster Point Waterfront
Courtyard San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf
Courtyard San Francisco Downtown
Four Points by Sheraton SFO San Francisco Airport
aloft San Francisco Airport (Millbrae) SFO

Extended Stay:
Residence Inn San Francisco Airport/Oyster Point Waterfront

Timeshare:
Marriott Vacation Club Pulse, San Francisco

Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in San Francisco

Old Sep 28, 2004, 8:37 pm

Also recommend the Marriott Fisherman's Wharf. I forget if this is a cat 4 or cat 5 hotel.

I enjoyed my stay there. Fisherman's Wharf is touristy but if that's what you are, it's great. There are real pics from inside the room at HotelScoop: http://www.hotelscoop.com/hotelDetai...p?Hotelid=5024

You can see what to expect when you get there.
Old Sep 29, 2004, 8:05 am

Thanks for the input. However, it looks like the Courtyard on 2nd is a Category 5 and the Marriott Fisherman's Wharf is a Category 6. Any Category 4s in the surrounding area that one could recommend?
Old Sep 29, 2004, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Derf, at Category 4 you're out of the city core and into the periphery. The SF Airport Marriott is Cat 4 - I've stayed there; it's a typical airport Marriott property but they do claim to have the "new beds" so if that's a hot button for you, it could work. The Airport Marriott can shuttle you to the airport, where you can catch BART to the city.

A new Courtyard and Residence Inn are showing up in South San Francisco /Oyster Point - I don't know the specific neighborhood, but they claim to overlook the bay, although I have no idea what the view is. They also claim free shuttle service to the airport which allows you to take BART to the city core.
Old Sep 29, 2004, 2:24 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium Elite, United LT 1M Gold
We've stayed at the RI at Oyster Point twice and enjoyed it. Very quiet area, and nice hiking trail. Rooms come with kitchen, etc. Staff was very good. You can take the shuttle to CalTrain, from there to 4th ST. SFO.

We've also stayed at the full service Marriott in San Mateo - not much furth dwon the peninsula. You can walk from there (5 minutes) to the CalTrain station for the city. Large property - nicely down and again a very good staff. If you've got a car they do charge for parking, but you can park on the street behind the hotel for free (done it 3x with no problems).

Either of these is nice, albeit not in the city.

Bruce
Old Sep 29, 2004, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA Plat; HH Gold; Marriott Silver; UCLA Fan
Originally Posted by Derf
Thanks for the input. However, it looks like the Courtyard on 2nd is a Category 5
Are you sure the Courtyard on 2nd is a Cat. 5? I stayed there for one night a year ago as a Cat. 4 on one of those free certificates that was only good for a Cat. 4 or lower. I haven't been in SF or checked since then.
Old Sep 29, 2004, 6:05 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium Elite, United LT 1M Gold
Checking the Marriott site today (Wednesday 9/29) the Courtyard, SF is listed as a cat 5, Courtyard and RI Oyster Point are cat 4, Full service SFO airport and San Mateo are cat 4, Courtyard Larkspur Landing (across the GG Bridge, right on the ferry line to SF, a nice property) is a cat 4, as are the two Walnut Creek properities.

Bruce
Old Sep 30, 2004, 9:30 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
The East Bay way!

The Marriott Oakland City Center is a category 4 hotel. It is near a BART station so it should be an easy trip into SF for sightseeing. Although not the best for walking around at night, it would be more convenient than the airport locations.
Old Oct 19, 2004, 12:54 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Avis Rock Star
San Fran downtown recommendations?

I am looking for a high-end spot within walking distance of major attractions downtown for the weekend of Nov 5-8. Wanna blow it out, using points, and flying Ms liveon out for a long weekend.
Trouble is, only area of SF I know, involves the airport! ughh.

Any suggestions are truly appreciated!!
Old Oct 19, 2004, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
If you want a Marriott, your best choice is either the Renaissance Stanford Court (I think it's still in the chain) or the JW Marriott ? on 4th Street. The former is a nicer property but the latter may be slightly more convenient for tourism and is walking distance from a number of attractions.

Personally I would go on priceline to see if you can score a room at the Grand Hyatt, but that will take cash, not points.
Old Oct 19, 2004, 2:08 pm

Wink Hotels in San Fran

If you want easy walking distance then try the San Francisco Marriott downtown (it's on fourth street) It's a decent Marriott hotel. Ask for a room on a high floor with a view of the bay and go up to the top floor lounge one night and just enjoy the view. It's about a btwo blocks from Union Square downtown, and if you want something quick to eat there's a movie theatre across the stree that has a decent food court. IF you want something a little nicer, then go to the Renaissance Stanford Court at the top of knob hill. It has a European feel, but it's a nice hotel. I've found it to be nicer than the SFC Marriott. Just the walk up knob hill can be a killer at times when the cable car is full. There's another renaisance court downtown (Parc 55) but last time I stayed there it was a little shabby.

If I had the points to burn and SFC it had to be, I'd stay at the Stanford Court. If I wanted a nice weekend, I'd skip SFC all together and head straight for Marriott Sonoma Lodge, have dinner at their restaurant and make sure I asked for a lodge and then come back and fight the crowds in SFC.....but then you asked about SFC right? My vote goes to the Stanford Court.

Enjoy yourself.

Last edited by Cindi89; Oct 19, 2004 at 2:17 pm
Old Oct 19, 2004, 3:04 pm

I go to San Francisco about one week out of the month and, hands-down, I prefer the Stanford Court. The Marriott is a very crowded, convention-type hotel with a truly ugly lobby, the Parc55 is also very large and impersonal (and in a questionable neighborhood), and the Wharf is in the middle of t-shirts, cut-offs, and fanny-pack land. The beds at the Stanford Court have a wonderful feather mattress (I bought one for my own bed-the dog loves it) and Frette sheets. Yes, the rooms can be a bit small and the decor is a bit grandmotherly but the hotel is a class act all the way. You will actually feel like a San Franciscan walking around that neighborhood. The hotel restaurant is excellent (the BEST lemon-souffle pancakes) and the bar is a little gem. Yes, there is a hike up Nob Hill but you can take a short cab ride if you're not inclined to make like a San Franciscan and walk the 3 blocks from Union Square. Ask for a outside-facing room. There are several little neighborhood places to eat nearby (Rue Lepic on Pine, the Nob Hill Cafe and Venticello on Taylor are all a short walk away) and the legendary Top of The Mark is next door atop the Hotel Mark Hopkins. It's a far more romantic place for a nightcap than the Marriott's rooftop bar. Have a wonderful trip!
Old Oct 19, 2004, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd recommend the Renaissance rather than the Marriott. Before moving up here, I stayed at the Marriott numerous times and ALWAYS had problems. I had a long talk with the manager my last time, and it came down to this: most the Marriott's business is conventions and large meetings. They give priority to these, and elite members wind up getting shorted. In a dozen stays, I don't think I ever had my request for a king, non-smoking honored at check-in without a significant battle and having to call for the manager.

Marriott made it clear whose business they wanted at that property, and it isn't the single business traveller.
Old Oct 19, 2004, 4:59 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
The Parc 55

I've stayed at the downtown Marriott, Stanford Court and the Parc 55.

The Stanford Court is my least favorite - but those who like "old world" (think: stuffy and pretentious) may like it. An outside room, as one poster recommended, will get you a lot of street noise from those #$% cablecars. It is not very walkable to anything other than Grace Cathedral and the Mark Hopkins (it's the walk back up those hills that will kill you

The downtown Marriott is pretty good and more convenient to the downtown area. As others have noted it is a big business hotel but my "tourist" stays have generally been pleasant.

I have grown to like the Parc 55. For transportation, the location is great since you are right next to all modes: BART, MUNI (subway and "F" trolley) and cablecar. The front side of the hotel is next to Union Square but the back side abuts the Tenderloin (best avoided at night). They seem to treat elite level guests well and the Concierge Lounge is pretty good. For location alone, this gets my nod.

Do a search for "San Francisco" on this board. A lot has already been written.
Old Oct 20, 2004, 7:56 am

Programs: United No Status Anymore, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Silver, SPG Blue
Parc 55

Concierge Lounge is open on weekends - huge plus. EXTREMELY helpful concierge - gave us excellent restaurant recommendations. Location is great if you're going to see a show at the nearby Golden Gate Theatre.
Old Oct 26, 2004, 10:23 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
Originally Posted by Cindi89
Just the walk up knob hill can be a killer at times when the cable car is full.
Who the heck takes the cable car for transportation? Thats a tourist trap that you should do once only. Take a cab, or even better, ask the front desk which muni will take you to the wharf. Its so easy to get around SF, but it helps when you live there and know it well. Just ask anyone...they are friendly folks!

And avoid the fanny packs! (and for that matter, anyone dressed like they are on vacation to "warm" California!)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.