Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Platinum Status on eBay

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2018, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott/SPG Ambassador, Delta Diamond, Hertz Platinum
Buy Platinum Status on eBay

I just stumbled upon this. Obviously I think it's a terrible idea (and I'm already Plat Premier), but anyone have any insight into this? Looks like at least 15 people have already ponied up at least $1000.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SPG-Marriot...8AAOSwaLJbTjNX
Old Sep 4, 2018, 2:51 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
That quiet ticking you're hearing in the background is the countdown to those folks' accounts being shut down
Venezuela-Miami, wrp96 and markko like this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 3:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Gold for $138 and Plat for about US$1,000? I'm not sure the prices make sense, but it would be a stupid and risky idea, as well as unethical, to try to buy this.

Still, one does wonder just how someone can upgrade accounts. Is it a rogue employee or IT consultant with access to the computer systems? Could some corporate contract include the possibility to gift status to a specified number of people? It's clearly coming from the SPG side. Also, nothing explicit is said about whether the "purchase" includes a 50 night choice or even will count as 50 nights toward 75 or 100 in the new combined program.
Venezuela-Miami likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 5:16 pm

Location: SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold:AA Plat, Now retired but previous NWA PLAT 2 Million +, United 1K plus etc etc
If you click on the persons “other items for sale” you will see they have Hyatt, Hilton, Car Rentals etc. available forvarious levels of elite. Many appear to be elite challenges so “the person” is signing you up for those using your account info.
In a few of the listings it says password required, that’s gotta raise a red flag for most!

My guess is a corporate acct with x # of gifting oppt avail, travel agent with access to directly sign up new customers for challenges or just someone who pretends to be you with full password account access signing you up for these.

Its very suspicious that many of his purchase reviews are from the same people to get the perfect feedbackover a long period of time.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 11:15 pm

Well, the Chinese already figured out how to game the system, if you go to taobao.com (the largest eCommerce site in China), just search Hyatt, Marriott, SPG, etc. you will find its a booming business to sell hotel status or even eligible stays for your own status qualification. From the buyer feedback, they can actually make those things happen. Most buyers don't care about account shut down, as they are occasional travelers and only need the hotel benefit for a handful of trips. They can setup new accounts as needed if it gets blocked. I once stayed at a JW Marriott in China, was shocked to see the lounged was packed with families with no room to sit.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 6:47 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by presario1626
Well, the Chinese already figured out how to game the system, if you go to taobao.com (the largest eCommerce site in China), just search Hyatt, Marriott, SPG, etc. you will find its a booming business to sell hotel status or even eligible stays for your own status qualification. From the buyer feedback, they can actually make those things happen. Most buyers don't care about account shut down, as they are occasional travelers and only need the hotel benefit for a handful of trips. They can setup new accounts as needed if it gets blocked. I once stayed at a JW Marriott in China, was shocked to see the lounged was packed with families with no room to sit.
I wonder whether this is happening elsewhere in Asia. For example, you see tons of local families using lounges at Hyatts and Starwoods in (South) Korea. I haven't noticed the phenomenon in Singapore, but I'm also suspicious about Starwoods in Japan and apparently mainland Chinese families in Hyatt lounges in Hong Kong. I always believed that they were paying rates for rooms with lounge access for their entire family, but now I'm not so convinced of this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 11:11 am
mav

Programs: Hilton, marriott, IHG, Club Carlson, United Airlines,timeshare owner
I remember about 2 years ago hearing about Hilton status being sold on Ebay and that Hilton shut down the new puchasers account. Can't imagine anyone not being afraid it would be a scam in the beginning.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 11:13 am

There's also a "seller" on eBay offering a DIY video about status upgrades and challenges in exchange for a $1.00 contribution to a charity of one's choice.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 1:06 pm

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Someone else is selling Gold status for $0.50. Still overpriced.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I'm just laughing at the idea of anyone paying $1,000 for Marriott Platinum status.

I also laugh at some of the blog sites that put high "values" on status, often by grossly inflating the value of upgrades or breakfast. (Just because Marriott places some vastly overpriced number on a lame buffet for the expense account crowd doesn't mean it's worth anywhere near that - or that I would actually buy it if I didn't have Platinum status. Same for nonupgrade upgrades.)

If I was not Platinum, and Marriott offered me a direct/legit way to buy it, I'd maybe pay $100 or so for it. This assumes I'd actually have 20-30 nights, some of which I ate some sort of breakfast. I would assume that the 20-30 nights included exactly zero suites, so my valuation on "upgrades" is $0.
cur and Tokyoite like this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 4:46 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by pinniped
I'm just laughing at the idea of anyone paying $1,000 for Marriott Platinum status.

I also laugh at some of the blog sites that put high "values" on status, often by grossly inflating the value of upgrades or breakfast. (Just because Marriott places some vastly overpriced number on a lame buffet for the expense account crowd doesn't mean it's worth anywhere near that - or that I would actually buy it if I didn't have Platinum status. Same for nonupgrade upgrades.)

If I was not Platinum, and Marriott offered me a direct/legit way to buy it, I'd maybe pay $100 or so for it. This assumes I'd actually have 20-30 nights, some of which I ate some sort of breakfast. I would assume that the 20-30 nights included exactly zero suites, so my valuation on "upgrades" is $0.
To each their own. While breakfast may not be worth $40 or $50, I recently stayed at an autograph with 6 varieties of organic milk, an entire cooler of flavored juices and coconut water in individual containers that you could take, unlimited barista service, and a delicious breakfast. Would be worth the ~$30 at retail price. Obviously a CY breakfast isn't worth this.

I have only not been upgraded to a suite once this year, at a Moxy (surprise surprise). While I wouldn't ever pay thousands for a specialty suite I've landed in before as a comp upgrade - it is worth at least 2x the room rate to me given the extra space, extra bathrooms, etc.

I stayed in the Designer Suite at the StR Rome - a 4 room suite with a balcony spanning the entire entrance of the hotel. The room was listed at ~$8,500 EUR per night. I was on a points rate but even the cash rate for a standard room was below 800 EUR/night.

I know plenty of people that would easily pay hundreds if not more for a night in this insane suite.

If Platinum is only worth $100 to you, then I don't have the words. A late checkout at most FS properties is ~$50. I wouldn't necessarily pay for all these add ons without status, but there is definitely value there for me, collectively above $100 annually for sure. I guess it's all about how/where you use it.

I hope Marriott shuts these scammed a down quickly as, even with any temp/comp status, they certainly weren't intended to be sold on ebay
Old Sep 5, 2018, 5:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & LTP, Hilton Diamond (Aspire card), Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold (almost free agent)
Originally Posted by pinniped

I guess you always stay at US hotels and never at APAC like Bangkok or Hong Kong. My 3N stay Platinum value at Marquis Queen's park just before Labor Day would easily exceed $300, upgraded to spacious corner Suit from base room with excellent light lunch and happy hour offerings plus 4PM checkout. Second day light lunch even had Sea bass (Very expensive in Asia) served.

Last edited by tomwhom; Sep 5, 2018 at 6:08 pm
Old Sep 6, 2018, 1:59 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
That quiet ticking you're hearing in the background is the countdown to those folks' accounts being shut down
This.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 10:14 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
I stayed in the Designer Suite at the StR Rome - a 4 room suite with a balcony spanning the entire entrance of the hotel. The room was listed at ~$8,500 EUR per night. I was on a points rate but even the cash rate for a standard room was below 800 EUR/night.

I know plenty of people that would easily pay hundreds if not more for a night in this insane suite.
It's quite possible that I would pay good money (or points) on top of a standard award to get that suite. I just know that I'm never going to get it for free as a Marriott Platinum Premier.

In April I spent one week as a Marriott Platinum at the Dedica Anthology / Palazza Naidi in Rome. It was a fine Travel Package stay and we used the hotel breakfast 3 of the 7 nights there, but beyond the 3 breakfasts there really wasn't value in the status itself. The value was that it was an excellent hotel and even the standard room was very nice.

I'm going to begin staying at Starwoods again, now that I'm LTPP. I have fond memories of SPG Platinum from about 5-7 years ago. If my experience at the heritage SPG brands with Marriott PP status is as good as it was then, then I will absolutely revise upward my estimate of what the status is worth to me. (Sort of moot, since it's LT status.)

Originally Posted by tomwhom
I guess you always stay at US hotels and never at APAC like Bangkok or Hong Kong. My 3N stay Platinum value at Marquis Queen's park just before Labor Day would easily exceed $300, upgraded to spacious corner Suit from base room with excellent light lunch and happy hour offerings plus 4PM checkout. Second day light lunch even had Sea bass (Very expensive in Asia) served.
No to BKK, yes to HKG. Did not get a suite in HK, but did have a good stay. Again, the hotel itself was great, even though my Plat status didn't mean much. I did get a pretty solid upgrade at the St Regis Shanghai (full suite) and have gotten full suites at several different Indian Starwoods over the years. Will be interesting to see if this continues in the Marriott universe. I think time will tell.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 12:32 pm

I'll also add (now that I've had some time to think about it) that $100 is a little harsh. I still mock anyone who pays $1000 on eBay for a hotel status, but I'm going to end the year at 75 nights and during those periods I've certainly visited my share of lounges, including with my other guests and on stays where the FD coded two or three rooms all with lounge access (something they don't have to do). There's clearly a couple hundred dollars in value there even if I only value a hotel breakfast at 5 bucks or so.

We also don't always give Marriott enough credit for getting the basics right: as a Plat, I always get my bed/smoke preferences, almost never get a "bad" room, don't receive pushback on late checkouts, and occasionally get little unpublished extras like a drink or appetizer chit.

Part of it is that I'm always hesitant to front a bunch of cash for benefits I don't really know if I'll get, and I know in the Marriott world that you can never really count on a suite.

If a reliable pattern emerges of suite upgrades occurring in the future at the Starwood brands, I'll be surprised - but I'll take it as a pleasant surprise. This will be my first year with SNAs, so we'll see how that goes too. I have a stay in 2019 where, if the SNAs come through, that will be several hundred dollars in real tangible value to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.