Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Using Suite Upgrade to go from 1-bdrm to 2-bdrm suite at Residence Inn?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2018, 8:52 am
Original Poster

As above, for residence inn have that 1-bedroom and 2-bedroom suites. can you use a suite night cert to upgrade to a 2-bedroom suite?
Old Aug 31, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Originally Posted by Rommie2k6
As above, for residence inn have that 1-bedroom and 2-bedroom suites. can you use a suite night cert to upgrade to a 2-bedroom suite?
It is entirely dependent on what the property has designated as available in the SNA upgrade pool.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 10:24 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Note that if you reserve a studio room, an upgrade to a 1-bedroom suite is pretty common for elites. So if you reserve a studio room, I'd guess if you are upgraded through your SNA cert, it will most likely be just to a 1-bedroom suite. The problem with 2-bedroom upgrades (elite, SNA or other) is that there tend to be a lot fewer of them which means a lot of RIs will not want to give them out for upgrades if they think there is a chance they can sell it.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 2:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
It's more common for studio to 1-bedroom upgrades, as hoope01 notes. Also not that many 2-bedroom suites. But something else to consider.

Even if you (generic you) are Plat, depending on where you are checking into, you are not the only Plat. I know of a property that regularly gets 10-14 Plat arrivals/day & there are only 10 2-bedrooms(some of which are booked by long term guests, so not all 10 are available).

But the other part of that equation is that other people actually pay/book the 2-bedroom (aka, hard cash/credit card) so there are less available for Plat free upgrades. This particular property is booked solid (again, paid) on 2-bedroom suites (ironically by folk not even MR members!) from late April to mid-September.

So while this property does upgrade in the off-season, they're not stupid. If they can sell the rooms they should (and do).

Sometimes they get an upgrade request from a studio or 1-bedroom to a 2-bedroom on a single night stay with the elite being the only person staying. At that point you (generic you) have to say, why would a 1-person, 1-night stay need a 2-bedroom suite other than the ego aspect of saying I got an upgrade. Seriously, why?

IMO it's just ego at that point. But then screws another elite who might have more folk in their ressie who would like the 2-bedroom & didn't get it because the single Plat guy/gal threw a hissie fit at the front desk saying they're Plat so they should get it, even if they're only a single person & the FD caved.

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Sep 3, 2018 at 3:59 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.