Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Grrrr why won't my certificate show back up after a canceled reservation?!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
From Margarita Girl, a tip on how to avoid the problem of certificates not being auto-reinstated when you cancel a booking:
I was able to detach the certificate myself. Just pull up your reservations and click on MODIFY. Choose the same room you had before, then it will ask you if you want to pay with your cert, points or PA. In my case I chose points (as I wanted to keep the reservation). The cert was immediately redeposited in my account. I did this with 2 different certs/reservations so it wasn’t a fluke.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2018, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Best Western Gold

Marriott is driving me crazy lately (and everyone else, I know!). First it was a heck of a time getting the credit card certificates to actually attach to the reservation. Now I canceled a reservation a week ago and the certificate has yet to appear back in my account. Don't feel like calling as I'm sure it will take 2 hours on hold. Has anyone had any luck getting anything accomplished via email with Marriott?
Old Aug 30, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Lifetime Gold, UA Premier Silver
I have had no luck lately getting anything done through email. Either I get a canned response or ignored altogether.

This past weekend I was having the same problem you're having, a cert attached to a cancelled reservation not showing back up. I called and got an answer within a couple of minutes and quickly got the situation straightened out.
Fredandkell likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 2:56 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
I had the same thing today. I called once through the Platinum line and said "certificates", was put on hold for about 20 minutes and then when it was ringing through to Rewards I presume, it hung up on me. I called back to get back in line, this time it didn't understand what I wanted and sent me to some general agent and they answered almost right away. She said it takes 24-48 hours to go back to your account but she was able to recover it manually and make a new reservation with it.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Best Western Gold
OH MY GOODNESSSSSS Marriott you are driving me INSANE!!! This has happened again! Canceled a cert reservation, cert won't go back into account, been on hold forever, lady can't get it to un-attach from canceled property....I am soooo close to defecting entirely to Hilton. Marriott, are you listening?! Your website SUCKS since the merger!!
Old Feb 3, 2019, 9:17 pm

Programs: IHG Ambassador , Marriott platinum, United, Delta
took almost a month for them to give back certificate. They did extend it to the end of the year, it was suppose to expire in may
Old Feb 12, 2019, 3:35 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I had the same issue. Had to call in. Was advised in the future to call in and remove the certificate before cancelling the reservation.

Had a great agent who extended my cert as well. Took a good 20 min though.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by ken98230
I had the same issue. Had to call in. Was advised in the future to call in and remove the certificate before cancelling the reservation.
Happened to us as well recently.

I'm not sure I see how calling in beforehand is a better solution. You have to call in either way; in my case, it happened on the back end.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by beltway
Happened to us as well recently.

I'm not sure I see how calling in beforehand is a better solution. You have to call in either way; in my case, it happened on the back end.
I posted in another thread that I was able to detach the certificate myself. Just pull up your reservations and click on MODIFY. Choose the same room you had before, then it will ask you if you want to pay with your cert, points or PA. In my case I chose points (as I wanted to keep the reservation). The cert was immediately redeposited in my account. I did this with 2 different certs/reservations so it wasn’t a fluke.
beltway likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by margarita girl

I posted in another thread that I was able to detach the certificate myself. Just pull up your reservations and click on MODIFY. Choose the same room you had before, then it will ask you if you want to pay with your cert, points or PA. In my case I chose points (as I wanted to keep the reservation). The cert was immediately redeposited in my account. I did this with 2 different certs/reservations so it wasn’t a fluke.
Which other thread was that? I'm thinking this technique needs to be memorialized in a wiki; if there's a bigger master thread on this topic, I'll put it there myself.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by beltway
Which other thread was that? I'm thinking this technique needs to be memorialized in a wiki; if there's a bigger master thread on this topic, I'll put it there myself.
Suggestions for 1 night cert "stolen" from me--Help

post # 25.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.