Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Having to cross 50 nights / 75 nights after merger to get benefits..

Old Aug 22, 2018, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

.. Is the actual most stupid business move Marriott could ever do.

You're basically saying anyone who has 'stayed too much too fast' should not be allowed benefits. How does it make sense that someone staying 200 nights before the merger (and not earned through SPG) is not entitled to the gift options?

This would ONLY benefits people who are trying to game the system / stay less often, screwing over your most loyal Marriott elites.

Honestly if Marriott reveals that people who already stayed 100 nights aren't getting any of the gift options, that will be the last nail in the coffin of a greedy and dishonest company.

How the does that make sense whatsoever - staying LESS and not crossing an arbitrary line = more benefits.

I will be really unhappy if this turns out to be the case and anyone encouraging Marriott to do that (mostly greedy gaming SPG members) should be ashamed of themselves.

We achieved the nights in this calendar year for gods sake. Hopefully this is all just a big joke / rumor from the greedy gaming types.

​​​​​

​​​
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by yosithezet; Aug 23, 2018 at 1:59 am Reason: Adjusted to comply with FT Rule 16
Old Aug 22, 2018, 9:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
No, tell us how you really feel.
kennycrudup and J_Dub like this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 9:20 pm

Your words are far too intense and your point gets lost in it, but you are not wrong, it makes no sense. Any suggestion they may do this is possibly the strangest and most off-base part of the merger Ive seen so far.

Lets wait and see what Marriott does when the choice benefits site launches. I would think this is a no-brainer to get this done right from day one for their most loyal guests. I just pray that Marriott does not make us call in and try to fight for this benefit. The call centers are a mess, this needs to be automatic.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by patiolanterns
Your words are far too intense and your point gets lost in it, but you are not wrong, it makes no sense. Any suggestion they may do this is possibly the strangest and most off-base part of the merger I’ve seen so far.

Let’s wait and see what Marriott does when the choice benefits site launches. I would think this is a no-brainer to get this done right from day one for their most loyal guests. I just pray that Marriott does not make us call in and try to fight for this benefit. The call centers are a mess, this needs to be automatic.
Marriott needs these words and this urgency with all the screw ups they have had so far, not 'oh were willing to wait ten more years for them to get everything right' or 'its all okay'

This is the company that said plat matches to plat premiere for half a year, and let people do 9 stays to chase status.... In order to be made the same status.

Its like with the TP, Marriott need to be told what's right. If you have idiots encouraging Marriott to F over their members, they will.

​​​​​
​​​

Last edited by yosithezet; Aug 23, 2018 at 2:01 am Reason: Adjusted to comply with FT Rule 16
Old Aug 22, 2018, 10:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LTT & Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
What's this all about?
Old Aug 22, 2018, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by paulsalem
What's this all about?
Based on some vague info handed out by Marriott reps, there is speculation that Marriott will only hand out the valuable 50 and 75 night benefits (suite night awards and free night certs) to members who cross the threshold after the program merger. Meaning if you already had 75+ Marriott nights before the merger happened, youd get nothing, but youd get the benefits if you had 49 or 74 nights and then hit the status afterwards.

This lead to the bizarre discussion about people purposefully cancelling Marriott bookings before the merger. Marriott could have simply clarified the issue in the massive list of FAQs compiled by the Starwood lurker, but did not do so, and in fact added fuel to the fire by not denying that this will occur.

Not rewarding the members who didnt cancel bookings and already attained 50 or 75 Marriott nights would be patently absurd, for that the OP is right. Cant really call it a loyalty program if its operating in reverse.

Most importantly, the benefits chart released months ago has no asterisk on it, and clearly states that platinum/premier members receive these benefits, without any fine print to the contrary about needing the 50th or 75th night to occur after August 18th. I made my choice to push for plat premier status based on that public info and attractive benefit, as did others.

I cannot see a situation where Marriott wont make this right. If they dont, this will truly be a reason to get extremely upset, far more so than the TPs, which I agree are a mess in their own right. There is no rational argument here for Marriott to do anything but provide the listed benefits to their most loyal customers.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by patiolanterns; Aug 22, 2018 at 11:51 pm
Old Aug 23, 2018, 2:12 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Yeah, I can't imagine this happening, even if the IT systems don't take this into account from the start. But at the moment there are significant other issues to deal with.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 2:41 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Lucky for me! I was Platinum through 2019 in Marriott, still Patinum! My stays in Marriott YTD 51 Doh! lol. I am on a month long vacation starting next week with hotels booked for 16 nights. Once the dust settles and I merge my accounts, I will be Platinum Premiere. Meh! Whatever! Old Platinum wasn't any better than old Gold for me. I don't anticipate anything to be different between Platinum and Platinum Premiere.

With Legacy Marriott they already had too many brands to offer a consistent Elite Experience.You needed a flow chart to follow it. I can't imagine it will be any better with the new brands added. I like consistency. It is unlikely you will find that with Marriott.

James
frenchft likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.