Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

New breakfast benefit in Resorts - which hotel does what?

Old Aug 19, 18, 11:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold

As of yesterday, Elites finally get free breakfast in legacy Marriott resort hotels. Let‘s start and make a list on how the different properties interpret this benefit so that we can all avoid the black sheep that do the strict minimum. Any experiences so far?
Old Aug 20, 18, 12:44 am
ryw

Programs: WN A, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
The new Terms and Conditions are really not super clear (with differences for resorts, countries, etc). However, I've tried to interpret them to the best of my ability and throw them in a spreadsheet (to show which brands have lounges, and which have a restaurant breakfast benefit and which have a food and beverage amenity benefit) - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing. No guarantees that this is 100% correct - also who knows how these will actually get implemented on the ground by different properties! Will be interested to see what folks' experiences are at properties. (Perhaps a Wiki thread in the Marriott/Starwood/RC forum would be a good place for that?)

EDIT - also looks like I was late to the spreadsheet game. Some breakfast charts from the travel blogosphere: https://samchui.com/2018/06/09/marri...-access-chart/

Last edited by ryw; Aug 20, 18 at 12:50 am Reason: updated link info
Old Aug 20, 18, 2:26 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Muerz View Post
As of yesterday, Elites finally get free breakfast in legacy Marriott resort hotels. Let‘s start and make a list on how the different properties interpret this benefit so that we can all avoid the black sheep that do the strict minimum. Any experiences so far?
I think many of us look forward to reading how the previously-excluded resorts will handle daily breakfast for Platinum Elite + 1.

I'm sure Sharon will do a wonderful job updating her lounge/breakfast stickies as FTers report their experiences.

For SPG folks who might be new to the world of Marriott Platinum Elite / Platinum Premier Elite, please understand that Marriott traditionally handled its Elite breakfast benefit differently than SPG.

Five brands in the Marriott family provided a lounge/breakfast benefit — Marriott, Renaissance, JW Marriott, Autograph Collection, and Delta Hotels. Without going into all the details and exceptions, this meant breakfast in the lounge (concierge lounge, M Club, executive lounge, or whatever) or continental breakfast (which more-often-than-not actually meant full breakfast) in the hotel restaurant if the lounge was closed or the hotel don't have such a lounge. This breakfast was in addition to the Platinum welcome gift, not one as one of the welcome gift options in the SPG tradition. But there was a big exclusion. Any hotel classified as a resort was excluded.

With the new program, resorts of these five brands are still excluded from the lounge/breakfast benefit. Yes. That's true!

However, resorts of these five brands will now offer daily breakfast for Platinum Elite + 1 as a welcome gift option in the SPG tradition (instead of points or a F&B credit/amenity).
Old Aug 20, 18, 3:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Nice summary Horace, & yes it's my intent to update the resorts as FTers provide updates in either the sticky or property threads.

Cheers.
Horace likes this.
Old Aug 20, 18, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K mm / AA EXPPlat / Marriott Lifetime Plat , Hilton Diamond (dropping to gold for 2017)
Here is a data point. Marriott Wailae (Maui) provides 1000 points per stayor a voucher for 2 daily.....good at its Starbucks or Whale Tail (the ocean walk coffee stand). Seriously.

Last edited by cmculp; Aug 20, 18 at 9:16 pm
Old Aug 20, 18, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
Not promising...
Old Aug 20, 18, 9:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
The Waikiki Marriott general manager told me last week they would be provide a full buffet breakfast for two per day even though, according to him, they were only required to provide a "continental breakfast" under the new program. It's unclear how they are handling the resort fee for elites since before the only significant benefit in the daily resort fee was a full buffet breakfast for one person each day.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: