Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Rewards rate lowers - can I get points back

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rewards rate lowers - can I get points back

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2018, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Marriott bad (tell me something new)... Given the number of times CSRs have given wrong info, I wouldn't be surprised if this changes once things settle out. If you've got time before your stay, I suggest waiting maybe a week and call in to see where things stand.
I now have this issue and the points are sitting in my account. I would have had them deducted if they had mentioned it, but I asked "will they be honouring the old rates if I book before August 1st" in a previous thread and they said all is fine.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by kaw753
I now have this issue and the points are sitting in my account. I would have had them deducted if they had mentioned it, but I asked "will they be honouring the old rates if I book before August 1st" in a previous thread and they said all is fine.
Is the stay imminent? If not, wait and call back in once things settle out. There's a good chance you will get a better informed CSR. Too many are willing to say no without doing the research.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by kaw753
I remember that thread. Do you have a link?
Old Aug 20, 2018, 9:42 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
I made the unfortunate mistake of cancelling a reservation on Aug 19 in an attempt to re-book at the lower rate. The reservation cancelled, but the points never went back. CSR was not able to solve it today and had to send email to hotel......
Old Aug 20, 2018, 10:18 am

Had a reservation for 3 nights at 40,000/night. Now i see it is 35,000 per night. Went into view/modify. Edit. Chose the same room for 35,000/night. Received 15,000 instantly in my account. Reservation number stayed the same.
bitterproffit likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by porciuscato
I made the unfortunate mistake of cancelling a reservation on Aug 19 in an attempt to re-book at the lower rate. The reservation cancelled, but the points never went back. CSR was not able to solve it today and had to send email to hotel......
I'm in the same situation, points still have not returned. I've reached out via phone and online to no avail. I hope the points are returned soon while there's still availability. Only response I keep getting is check status.marriott.com but there's really no usable info there.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 11:59 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by BobNoxious
Had a reservation for 3 nights at 40,000/night. Now i see it is 35,000 per night. Went into view/modify. Edit. Chose the same room for 35,000/night. Received 15,000 instantly in my account. Reservation number stayed the same.
Great tip! Just did the same. Amazed they made it so easy.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 1:17 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by BobNoxious
Did you do this on the Starwood or the Marriott website? I attempted it on the Starwood site and it was a fail.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Did you do this on the Starwood or the Marriott website? I attempted it on the Starwood site and it was a fail.
Be careful if doing it on the Starwood side - I attempted this yesterday and ended up with a canceled reservation and no points redeposited. Been attempting to get the points back since to no avail in order to rebook. Pretty frustrating.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Same - the re-login process tripped me up
Old Aug 20, 2018, 2:26 pm

I have a reservation for Aug 22 at 80000 points, hotel is now re-priced at 50000 due to Aug 18 changes. Ecertificate had already been attached / 80k deducted from my account.

Called platinum reservation line and was instantly helped. Agent couldn't change the points on the ecertificate so she gave me the points difference as a goodwill points bonus.

One step closer to lifetime status (goodwill points count, right?)!
​​​
Old Aug 20, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, AC 25k
call in and they will cancel the ordered certificate and order you a new cerficiate.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 2:58 pm

Programs: United Premier Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Nazdoom
I have a reservation for Aug 22 at 80000 points, hotel is now re-priced at 50000 due to Aug 18 changes. Ecertificate had already been attached / 80k deducted from my account.

Called platinum reservation line and was instantly helped. Agent couldn't change the points on the ecertificate so she gave me the points difference as a goodwill points bonus.

One step closer to lifetime status (goodwill points count, right?)!
​​​
I did this just using Modify and had the refunded points back into my account instantly. No phone call needed.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA MP (DH is MM 1K, so yeah! so am I!), SPG Platinum/LTG, Marriott Platinum Premier/LT Platinum
Has anyone had success on the Starwood side? Got a res for next month at Gritti Palace for the equivalent of 315,000 pts. Now it’s 180,000. I’d love those 125k pts back!
Old Aug 20, 2018, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jmkclee
Has anyone had success on the Starwood side? Got a res for next month at Gritti Palace for the equivalent of 315,000 pts. Now it’s 180,000. I’d love those 125k pts back!
Not working on Starwood side yet

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.