Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

If I Book Now For March 2019 Without Enough Points, Which Rewards Price?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:36 am
Original Poster

I'm interested in a March 2019 reservation that, if I had the points today, would cost me 120,000 points (5 nights, 2 rooms, 15k pts/night).

However, I only have 4,000 points in my account right now, so my reservation says, "Please remember to order e-certificate(s) once you earn the required points."

I can see at https://points-redemption.marriott.com/category-change that the hotel I've booked is going up to 20k points/night on 8/18/18.

I don't expect to get the points I need until at least September (well after 8/18/18).

Should I expect to owe Marriott 120,000 points or 160,000 points in my situation?
Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: DL Plat, Marriot Plat
Book now for the lower rate.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by manually
Book now for the lower rate.
Will I be "grandfathered in" if I don't actually have the points while the lower rate is in effect? Or will they charge me the "new rate" to actually get the 10 nights of e-certs?
Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by kitkatft
Will I be "grandfathered in" if I don't actually have the points while the lower rate is in effect? Or will they charge me the "new rate" to actually get the 10 nights of e-certs?
You should be good at the current rate unless you make a change where it might be repriced.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RogerD408
You should be good at the current rate unless you make a change where it might be repriced.
Excellent; thanks! There goes my day, making a bunch of bookings for a bazillion date variations... :-)
Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by kitkatft
Don't think of it as being "grandfathered in." Think of it as having a confirmed reservation at the rate established at the time of booking, even if the rate for the same dates subsequently goes up.

It's just like making a cash reservation for $300 per night. If the hotel subsequently raises the rate for the same dates to $500 per night, you still have your confirmed reservation, even though you haven't paid yet.

It currently appears that you initially won't be able to do this with eleven SPG legacy brands, only with Rewards legacy brands.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.