Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

(Leaving Marriott May, 2019) Casa de Palmas Renaissance, McAllen, Texas

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2005, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler; Marriott Lifetime Platinum Premier

What a surprise in this Lower Rio Grande Valley Hotel. This is one of the more elegant Renaissance properties that I have ever experienced. Big rooms with balconies overlooking the swimming area surroundeed by 70 foot palms. Originally built in 1917, I believe, the Spanish architecture is its hallmark. The executive lounge is excellent with hot breakfast and outstanding evening array of food (dessert, unfortunately consists only of cookies every night). Staff is very hospitable and the restaurant is outstanding. And the rates here are about the same as the Courtyard a few miles away. And in-room internet is complimentary.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
Does anyone have any updates on this hotel? Some of my family is coming down here and I am trying to figure out whether or not to put them at this hotel.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 9:50 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, United Silver, American Platinum, National Exec platinum
casa de palmas

Update: yes it is the best hotel in the lower valley for sure. However, important tips to ensure a good stay: always book room for courtyard view. The courtyard view rooms face the pool with the palm trees and have a balcony. All other rooms remind me of a motel. And don't fall for the "jr suite upgrade". The rooms may be a bit bigger but thats all...no balcony or view.
And yes, the original hotel was built in 1917 or something like that but the hotel burned down and was rebuilt in the 1970s. It is starting to show its age and they are essentially painting over rust to keep it going. I've seen water leaks dripping from the ceiling in the hallways, I've had rooms with ant infestations, and sometimes there is a weird funky sewer smell in some rooms Trust me, the courtyard rooms are the best.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 12:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist,
Have stayed here several times over the last few years after Daughter moved to McAllen. On one hand it is more full service and elegant than most other options in the area. It is also walking distance to some of the more interesting dining spots. On the other hand is is indeed "historic" and by that I mean old. Room decor is a bit tired and banged up, bed was never like other RENs I have stayed at recently, and overall smelled pretty musty and moldy. This was in three stays in a courtyard view room. The lounge was ok with hot offerings and on weekends we were provided access to the small buffet in the lobby. On our next upcoming trip wife insisted we stay at the Springhill Suites rather than "the musty place".
Old Aug 12, 2016, 4:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Speaking of lounge - anyone have an update on the lounge situation on the weekends, & if closed what they do re: brekkie? Let me know & I'll update the exec lounge sticky.

Cheers.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 9:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, United Silver, American Platinum, National Exec platinum
Exec lounge

Lounge closes at 10am on Friday and remains closed for weekend. I heard (but unconfirmed) breakfast is comped in restaurant on weekends. One note: the lady staffing the lounge during my stay was only there to protect the booze. It was weird. When she left to get more food from kitchen she locked the door and said " I have to protect the large quantity of alcohol". My gosh.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 5:45 am

Programs: Marriott - Lifetime Platinum Premier, AA - CK
This hotel appears to be leaving the Marriott brand in the next few weeks. A few of the staff mentioned this recently. As of this week, it appears that they are taking down the Marriott signage. The rumors point to Wyndham.

I am in MFE often, and have stayed here off and on over the last 15 years. It will be sad not to have that option moving forward.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 3:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I can confirm that the hotel will be joining Wyndham. A staff member has just explained that if I want to Wyndham will comp my Bonvoy status.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 3:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by nefanboy
Lounge closes at 10am on Friday and remains closed for weekend. I heard (but unconfirmed) breakfast is comped in restaurant on weekends. One note: the lady staffing the lounge during my stay was only there to protect the booze. It was weird. When she left to get more food from kitchen she locked the door and said " I have to protect the large quantity of alcohol". My gosh.
Correct - Exec lounge is closed, but breakfast in the restaurant is comped.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 8:03 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Southwest A-List Preferred
The change in brand is disappointing. Was the best Bonvoy hotel in the area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.