Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Gold - 4 hours Past Guaranteed Check-in Time

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold - 4 hours Past Guaranteed Check-in Time

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2018, 1:24 am

If you travel with any amount of regularity, having a room not ready on time shouldn't be anything new to you. It will even happen to the best-run hotels when they're running close to max occupancy. If a hotel's running near maximum occupancy or I'm planning on arriving early/late, I'll ring them directly ~12-24 hours before arrival to advise them of my expected arrival time. Since I started doing this, I've never ran into a delay.

As far as how much this issue bothers me is directly proportional to how sleep-deprived I am. 4 hours of sleep in the past 24? I'm pretty open-minded. 4 hours of sleep out of the past 72? I'll be polite but firm that I'm looking for a horizontal surface, hopefully a bed, to crawl into. At that point I don't care what room it is; I'd probably be happy with the couch in the employee lounge. When dealing with hotel or airline staff, I've found politeness & kindness will go a long way, especially when IRROPs happen.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 5:42 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by KRSW
IAs far as how much this issue bothers me is directly proportional to how sleep-deprived I am. 4 hours of sleep in the past 24? I'm pretty open-minded. 4 hours of sleep out of the past 72? I'll be polite but firm that I'm looking for a horizontal surface, hopefully a bed, to crawl into. At that point I don't care what room it is; I'd probably be happy with the couch in the employee lounge. When dealing with hotel or airline staff, I've found politeness & kindness will go a long way, especially when IRROPs happen.
I found the best way to deal with this by accident! Flying back from Asia I had not slept in a day save a very few minutes on the flight. Needed to be in the Detroit area the next day and was staying in the Lavonia Marriott. The room was not ready despite it being past check-in time, maybe around 5:30 pm. The front desk clerk could not have been better and offered to buy me a drink or dinner, but I was too tired. There are some stools and high tables across from the front desk next to the elevator so I sat and did work there. And fell asleep. And apparently snored. And slipped off the stool onto the floor. With a thud which woke me up. People came running. The clerk said he could put me in a room immediately but it would not be on the CL level, which was fine by me.

So if you want a room immediately just fall asleep by the front desk and make scene!
pitflyer, C17PSGR, KRSW and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by CJKatl
fell asleep. And apparently snored. And slipped off the stool onto the floor. With a thud which woke me up. People came running. The clerk said he could put me in a room immediately but it would not be on the CL level, which was fine by me.

So if you want a room immediately just fall asleep by the front desk and make scene!
Haha, good advise. We should all do that.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 1:55 pm
formerly skyccord
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier Platinum, Hertz President Circle, Marriott/SPG Premier Plat Elite, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Segments

Were you given the option of checking in at 4 pm to the category you reserved versus waiting for the “upgraded” room?
Nope. I even asked.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 2:28 pm
formerly skyccord
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier Platinum, Hertz President Circle, Marriott/SPG Premier Plat Elite, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by CJKatl
The room not being ready at three is an inconvenience. The misinformation and four hour delay are bigger issues and you are rightfully upset. But...

Not that this is an excuse, but my first trip when I started traveling for work twenty years ago was to that hotel. Being a Marriott nothing I was given a room near the elevator. It remains the smallest room I ever had. The front door was tiny and size-wise the bathroom felt like it came from Barbie's Dream House, On later stays I was given rooms farther down the hallway which were roomy and had nice views of the river. My point is be glad they were not dealing with you by giving you one of those small rooms!

Enjoy your stay in NO.
You are 100% correct. My issue was strictly with the poor communication. Things happen and that is completely understood.

So to answer everyone's questions.
1. I ended up getting a voucher for 2 free drinks worth $30.
2. Our room ended up being the corner room on the 10th floor. We were able to see the steam boat from it.
3. There is a guaranteed check-in time. It's on Marriott's website.
4. All in all it was a fine stay. I do think this property has one of the nicest and biggest lounges I've seen with a great break. Top notch breakfast. Omlette station and plenty of fine fixings.
5. The room itself left a lot to be desired. The bathroom felt like a motel bathroom. But then again it's a Marriott not a JW or something.
​​​​​
​​​​​​

​​
Boraxo likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 3:03 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by skyccord
5. The room itself left a lot to be desired. The bathroom felt like a motel bathroom. But then again it's a Marriott not a JW or something.
​​
The JW directly across the street is okay but not all that great. The Pere Marquette around the corner is cool/funky, but some of the rooms are very small. The CY on Iberville (on the same side of Canal as the Marriott on the other side of the Bourbon) is my favorite Marriott property in the area right now. The rooms have no view but are very quiet, have bedrooms with their own doors and are a quick walk to Bourbon St without having to travel on Canal, And one of my favorite restaurants is across the street.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by CPRich
Disagree. Do you believe the posted check-in time is just a suggestion?
I'm sure it says check in time is 3 pm not guaranteed check in time 3 pm.

Makes a difference when you complain
Old Aug 12, 2018, 5:50 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
I get to the New Orleans Marriott around 4:00p.m. and my "upgraded" room isn't ready. said it needs to be cleaned.
If you would have preferred a room ready at 4, you could have asked for a non-upgraded room. It might have happened.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by ohmark
If you would have preferred a room ready at 4, you could have asked for a non-upgraded room. It might have happened.
Nope. I even asked.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 1:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
You are 100% correct. My issue was strictly with the poor communication. Things happen and that is completely understood.

So to answer everyone's questions.
1. I ended up getting a voucher for 2 free drinks worth $30.
2. Our room ended up being the corner room on the 10th floor. We were able to see the steam boat from it.
3. There is a guaranteed check-in time. It's on Marriott's website.
4. All in all it was a fine stay. I do think this property has one of the nicest and biggest lounges I've seen with a great break. Top notch breakfast. Omlette station and plenty of fine fixings.
​​​​​
​​​
With some decent communication and the option of getting your booked room type at 4PM, I'd say everything else here is okay. The $30 comp is about what I'd expect for a minor delay getting into the room. If the corner room was a substantial upgrade, then I'd probably choose to wait. But the important thing would be having the choice to begin with, not being told by the hotel that I have no option at 4PM. They didn't give you that, which is pretty irritating.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA1P MM, Hilton Dia, Mar Lifetime Gold, Hertz Gold
Just getting back into travel for work. The reservation says "Your reservation is not guaranteed if you arrive late. Please note that your room will only be guaranteed until 6:00 PM on the day of your expected arrival." I will arrive later into Pudong China and other locations. Will my room not be available? Marriott Gold for life

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.