Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy Events program between Aug 18, 2018 and end of 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 22, 2018, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
As of January 1, 2020 the 10 night credit per meeting has ended. Events will only earn points after Jan 1. Room blocks will still earn night credits per T&C.

Rewarding Events offers points and nights for events/meetings booked at 25 brands of Marriott hotels

Marriott Rewarding Events

Participating brands:
Ritz Carlton, St. Regis, JW Marriott, The Luxury Collection, W Hotels, EDITION, Marriott Hotels, Sheraton, Marriott Vacation Club, Delta Hotels by Marriott, Le Meridian, Westin, The Autograph Collection, Renaissance, Tribute Portfolio, Gaylord Hotels, Courtyard by Marriott, Four Points by Sheraton, Springhill Suites by Marriott, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Fairfield by Marriott, AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Moxy Hotels, Element

Non-participating brands:
TownePlace Suites, Residence Inn, Marriott Executive Appartments, and Design Hotels

How to Book a Rewarding Event

There is an online interface to get quotes for meetings. Or you can call the sales office of each hotel you are interested in directly for a quote.

Rewarding Events Online Booking

Rewards

2 points per $1 USD or 1 mile per $1 USD spent per qualifying event (base members can earn up to 60,000 points; while Platinum Premier Elite members can earn up to 105,000 points per qualifying event).

Get 10 Elite Qualifying Nights for the first meeting — and achieve Silver Elite status automatically.

Earn one Elite Qualifying Night for every additional 20 room nights booked — up to 20 Elite Qualifying Nights per contract.

Note: Money spent on events reportedly does not count towards the $20,000 spend needed for Ambassador status.

Changes from Old Program

10 elite nights are earned only for the first meeting every year. Previously, it was 10 elite nights per meeting.

FAQ

Do I have to show up? - Maybe. Some people have no-showed at events and still had them post. Others have had no-shows that did not post.

What is a good rate? - Around $100 is considered a good rate for a meeting that lasts an hour or two.

What should I ask for if book a meeting just for the 10 elite nights? - It is recommended to ask for a meeting room for 2 people for 30 minutes or an hour. You can say it is for an interview. No audio/visual or catering is needed, and the meeting time is flexible.

Which hotels have the lowest rates for meetings? - Typically, the lower priced brands like Fairfield, Courtyard, etc., have small meeting rooms that can be less expensive. But it depends on the location.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy Events program between Aug 18, 2018 and end of 2019

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2018, 5:34 pm

Third party transfers or transfers to non-Members are limited to twenty (20) Awards in a calendar year on a single Membership Account.

Members can transfer up to a maximum of 50,000 Points per calendar year between any two accounts in good standing that have each been open for at least sixty (60) days, whether sending or receiving Points.

Once per calendar year and only at the time of an Award Redemption, a Member may exceed the 50,000 Point maximum into the Loyalty Program account of a friend or family member in order to qualify for a specific Award in accordance with this section. In the instance of transfer exceeding the 50,000 Point maximum only the necessary number of Points needed to redeem the specified Award, rounded to the nearest 1,000 Points, may be transferred - no more, no less.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by CJKatl
BIGGER CHANGE:

Under what is posted as the new rules:

and a membership can be revoked if a member:

Fraudulently claimed to qualify as a Rewarding Events Professional Meeting Planner to be eligible to earn any of the benefits offered to a Rewarding Events Professional Meeting Planner pursuant to the Loyalty Program;
For most member that would likely mean no ten nights even for a first meeting!

ADDED: We do not know when this was posted or if it the final rules or a draft. It would be unlikely this is not real, as nobody would likely go to the trouble of preparing such a detailed fake, but until the rules are posted by Marriott we still do not know absolutes. But this seems pretty believable.
Section 5 basically says that you're eligible unless you work for a government and book on behalf of your employer. (Details about which governments count aren't worth going into here.)
Old Aug 12, 2018, 11:01 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by sethb
Section 5 basically says that you're eligible unless you work for a government and book on behalf of your employer. (Details about which governments count aren't worth going into here.)
Which I pointed out in a later post: Post 35.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 7:21 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by phltraveler
Yesterday around 10:30 am you posted the T&C link. I saw your post, clicked the link and noticed I was the second unique viewer. Obviously you and I had looked at that point. I just looked at the page now has 13,405 unique views. Good find! Obviously there are many people interested in these.
phltraveler and bhrubin like this.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Not to mention people that downloaded it and sent links to others. Didn’t check to see if it is in Reddit yet.
I cannot wait for all our questions to be answered.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Yesterday around 10:30 am you posted the T&C link. I saw your post, clicked the link and noticed I was the second unique viewer. Obviously you and I had looked at that point. I just looked at the page now has 13,405 unique views. Good find! Obviously there are many people interested in these.
Clearly :-)

​​​​​​​Someone finally noticed it from the View on the Wing post and posted it on Marriott insiders. Thread is not that high activity yet on the Insiders post.

Originally Posted by cruisr
Not to mention people that downloaded it and sent links to others. Didn’t check to see if it is in Reddit yet.
I cannot wait for all our questions to be answered.
Haven't seen it on reddit yet.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 4:06 pm

Programs: AY+ Platsku, CM Silver, Frontier Elite 100K, Marriott Gold and LT Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador.
Originally Posted by bhrubin
I read it differently than you.

https://members.marriott.com/rewarding-events/

It seems meetings will only earn 10 elite nights for the FIRST meeting...and no meetings without rooms beyond the first will earn elite nights.

It seems that every 20 room nights will earn 1 additional elite night--which is precisely what SPG Pro did in the past two years. (Before that, it was 1 additional elite night for every 10 room nights.)

It seems that Marriott is incorporating its old 10 elite nights for a meeting ONLY for the first meeting (without rooms). That eliminates the ridiculous accumulation of elite nights that was permissible and quite common under the old Marriott Rewards rules. It also seems Marriott is incorporating the SPG Pro approach beyond that, requiring 20 room nights to earn additional elite nights. Events without rooms won't earn elite nights beyond the first meeting.

Sounds pretty straightforward and reasonable to me, actually.
I read it exactly as you, seems straightforward to me.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
So there's basically two schools of thought as I've read the thread over again.

1) First (in members.marriott.com and the post-merger T&Cs upthread, post #28 ) means first, as in only the first meeting. Whether that means "First ever" or first per program year remains to be seen, as the language doesn't define it. Then all meetings, including every subsequent meeting (either ever or program year) can still earn points through related bookings - 1 EQN per 20 related room booking nights, up to 20 nights maximum.

2) The alternative proposed by @RogerD408 (and backed by some others) is that the first meeting language applies to the first meeting on a contract getting 10 nights and then also offering the 1 bonus EQN for 20 room related nights, up to 20 nights total per contact between the 10 EQNs for the meeting and another 10 for the room related night bookings.

Specifically this language:
When booking a qualifying group event or meeting with Rewarding Events, ten (10) Elite nights will be awarded to the Member for his/her first group, event or meeting, and thereafter, one (1) Elite Night Credit will be awarded for every twenty (20) rooms booked and actualized, up to a maximum of twenty (20) Elite Night Credits per contract.

Plus this other language:
iv. When booking a qualifying group event or meeting with Rewarding Events, ten (10) Elite nights will be awarded to the Member for his/her first group, event or meeting, and thereafter, one (1) Elite Night Credit will be awarded for every twenty (20) rooms booked and actualized, up to a maximum of twenty (20) Elite Night Credits per contract. Points or Miles may be earned in addition to Elite Night Credits for Rewarding Events.

For reasons posted upthread (see post #10 ) I think it's unlikely the merged program T&Cs take the "generous" route of keeping rewarding events as is. (I particularly agree with @sdsearch assessment in post #23 that it would be "inconsistent" to close the other night loopholes and keep Rewarding Events untouched with the 10 EQNs per every single meeting on separate contract paper). As acknowledged upthread, my opinion/perception on the situation does not constitute absolute proof, absent of the terms and conditions (and even then, the meaning of the verbiage above is disputed).

Another point is minus the 10 nights for the first meeting, SPG Pro worked in the exact same fashion (1 EQN per 20 room nights, with a max of 20 EQNs earned through a contract). It seems to me to be a blend of the two, still giving the 10 events for the first as it did under MR (MR happened to give it to the second and subsequent as well), and then meetings after the first can earn with related room bookings a la SPG Pro.

The merger is in three days. I'm not sure how soon after we'll hear from someone who has had more than one meeting in a year that then has a meeting post 08/18 program merger on the elite night situation. Then we'll finally get clarity.

(Also, I was surprised that I showed up in the TalkMail this morning - for anyone visiting this thread as a result, this thread discusses the rewarding events potential changes under the new Marriott merged T&Cs specifically, but for general discussion of the new T&Cs on the whole there's a thread on the Starwood forum for that.)
Old Aug 15, 2018, 5:40 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
The new T&Cs say
"When booking a qualifying group event or meeting with Rewarding Events, ten (10) Elite nights will be awarded to the Member for his/her first group, event or meeting"
But it doesn't say only 10 Elite nights. Who's to say I won't get awarded with 20 or 30 elite nights?
Old Aug 15, 2018, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Sneaking back in briefly...
Originally Posted by phltraveler
So there's basically two schools of thought as I've read the thread over again.
Good assessment. Unfortunately, there are some that have been assured their bookings after the 18th will get benefits according to the old rules (how they plan on doing that, I don't know since it will be MPG to issue the nights). There are so many little issues that we may not have a stable environment for a few months. This has happened with MR in the past where the roll-over nights benefit got so confusing even the Marriott Concierge (back in the day they frequented FT) got it wrong. I'm sure they are working on much bigger issues right now but expect this to boil over in December as people start the run for legacy program qualifications at year end.

Back to enjoying the roller coaster ride!
phltraveler likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
With all of the hiccups and confusion going on right now, that might have been why they initially said this transition would happen in August without being specific. It will probably take a big portion of the month to get everything worked out.

A Saturday in August is probably one of their slower times (from an IT perspective). It makes sense that they wouldn't want to change systems in the middle of a work week. Weekdays are probably their peek time for business travelers that usually pay the highest rates. Saturday and Sunday would be the best time to try to work out most of the kinks before the business week starts back up on Monday.

I feel like they gave me a heads up about the chaos, and so I shifted my stays to Hilton for August. There is a convention I need to go to in September, and I will probably stay in a Marriott for that. Hopefully, the drama will settle down a bit by then.
phltraveler and bhrubin like this.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 8:18 pm

I'd agree. I have a feeling this is so low on the list of priorities right now, it's not even funny.

I was talking with a lounge manager and the frustration on their part for the computer systems, is beyond crazy. She was saying how a big problem that they have is how many folks have a lack of computer skills, meaning that the systems that they use, etc is really the big struggle. I think we can all agree to that as it seems some don't even know how to get a meeting to post correctly.

My opinion is we won't see an answer to this for a while....but I'm happy to be wrong...you should have done your meetings after Jan 1 and been done with it...

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Sneaking back in briefly...

Good assessment. Unfortunately, there are some that have been assured their bookings after the 18th will get benefits according to the old rules (how they plan on doing that, I don't know since it will be MPG to issue the nights). There are so many little issues that we may not have a stable environment for a few months. This has happened with MR in the past where the roll-over nights benefit got so confusing even the Marriott Concierge (back in the day they frequented FT) got it wrong. I'm sure they are working on much bigger issues right now but expect this to boil over in December as people start the run for legacy program qualifications at year end.

Back to enjoying the roller coaster ride!
Old Aug 16, 2018, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
having not used rewarding events much & not being familiar with the way marriott does things, i have a question for those who seem to be genuinely booking bulk rooms for events....my priority is not earning elite nights since i cross 100 nights a year very easily but is earning points & perhaps meeting the $20k per year spend requirement required for ambassador & the your24 benefit....so would it make more sense to just have 3 rooms in my name & get the regular points for those 3 rooms or have all rooms in my name & get credit through rewarding events????

the 3 scenarios i have are:

1. 6 room booking for a night each at a westin property this weekend....
2. 7 room booking for 5 nights each at a sheraton property in october....
3. 10 room booking for 2 nights each at a luxury collection property in november....
Old Aug 16, 2018, 1:23 am

Originally Posted by Keyser
having not used rewarding events much & not being familiar with the way marriott does things, i have a question for those who seem to be genuinely booking bulk rooms for events....my priority is not earning elite nights since i cross 100 nights a year very easily but is earning points & perhaps meeting the $20k per year spend requirement required for ambassador & the your24 benefit....so would it make more sense to just have 3 rooms in my name & get the regular points for those 3 rooms or have all rooms in my name & get credit through rewarding events????

the 3 scenarios i have are:

1. 6 room booking for a night each at a westin property this weekend....
2. 7 room booking for 5 nights each at a sheraton property in october....
3. 10 room booking for 2 nights each at a luxury collection property in november....
IMHO make a blend. Take 3 rooms on a "room"-bill and earn 10 to 17.5 points per USD for these three rooms. Put the other rooms on an event contract and earn 2 to 3.5 points per USD. The earning ranges depend on your elite status.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by funkbandit
IMHO make a blend. Take 3 rooms on a "room"-bill and earn 10 to 17.5 points per USD for these three rooms. Put the other rooms on an event contract and earn 2 to 3.5 points per USD. The earning ranges depend on your elite status.
thanks for the tip....i'll keep that in mind....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.