Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

POST AUG 18 MERGER: New Marriott Forum with Sub-Forums?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

POST AUG 18 MERGER: New Marriott Forum with Sub-Forums?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2018, 8:21 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
Is there a plan to lock the subforums to new threads? It seems like there's still a number of people posting new threads in the old forums making it 3 or 4 forums to follow to see everything vs 1.

I can understand that letting people continue to post in existing sub-forum threads until they're moved and/or consolidated makes sense, so if that can't be done without also allowing people to make new threads so be it, but it'd be nice to focus new discussion to the new main forum.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 10:02 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by fordan
Is there a plan to lock the subforums to new threads? It seems like there's still a number of people posting new threads in the old forums making it 3 or 4 forums to follow to see everything vs 1.

I can understand that letting people continue to post in existing sub-forum threads until they're moved and/or consolidated makes sense, so if that can't be done without also allowing people to make new threads so be it, but it'd be nice to focus new discussion to the new main forum.
As linked a few posts above, I think you'll find answers here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...ott-forum.html

Our desire is to get a consolidated forum as soon as reasonably possible. And, we have no illusions that with tens of thousands of posts between the three forums, that's going to take a while to work through.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 10:52 am
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I've always thought that active hotel fora should be structured with one subforum for general program (including policies and promos) and brand information with a separate subforum for information on specific properties or location-specific information.
+1 With the huge volume of properties in the combined program, I'm all for their being a separate subforum for properties/location discussion. There's just too much clutter on the main forum now.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 11:41 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
As linked a few posts above, I think you'll find answers here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...ott-forum.html

Our desire is to get a consolidated forum as soon as reasonably possible. And, we have no illusions that with tens of thousands of posts between the three forums, that's going to take a while to work through.
I had in fact read that post, but it doesn't say anything about blocking new posts in the old forums unless you count the "boneyard" portion which I interpreted as delinking the sub forums from the main one because they weren't useful even for reference anymore against the current program many months or years in the future.

I appreciate the work the moderators are doing to consolidate everything and know it's a lot of work; I'm just looking at what can be done to get people starting their new posts in the new forums without more moderator thread moving work.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by ymx
+1 With the huge volume of properties in the combined program, I'm all for their being a separate subforum for properties/location discussion. There's just too much clutter on the main forum now.
We were intrigued by that idea as well. After researching it, for a number of reasons, we're not going with sub-forums. In a nutshell, it's been tried before and there were two significant negative outcomes. First, membership as a whole struggled with the sub-forums and the number of threads mis-posted and requiring action increased substantially. Second, total post volume in the parent forum and sub-forums dropped off by a large measure. Seemed that regular posters figured it out just fine, but the occasional and new posters were either confused or didn't take the time to figure it out. Whatever the reason, that's not good for business so the combination of the two issues brought an end to that possibility.

-AZ
Old Aug 22, 2018, 1:58 pm

I had in fact read that post, but it doesn't say anything about blocking new posts in the old forums unless you count the "boneyard" portion which I interpreted as delinking the sub forums from the main one because they weren't useful even for reference anymore against the current program many months or years in the future.
The problem with closing/locking the forums is that there are thousands of threads over many years that are left in those individual program sub-forums -- we're only bringing over the property discussion threads and other threads with current and potential future relevance. For some period of time, like months anyway, people will be searching and landing on threads which still reside in those sub-forums. As they reply to them and raise a topic or uncover a property thread that was missed in these current moves, we'll move them over into the consolidated thread. This is very much like what's happened across the board with airline and other hotel mergers.

I appreciate the work the moderators are doing to consolidate everything and know it's a lot of work; I'm just looking at what can be done to get people starting their new posts in the new forums without more moderator thread moving work.
Thank you -- it's an extraordinary amount of work, the vast majority volunteer manual labor. Once we feel we have most of the current threads moved into the new forum and have some housekeeping things like stickies and other moderator/admin stuff worked out, we'll be working on getting people posting in the new forum. That's futile right now, but the good news is that we hope to have things in order in the forum and focused on better directing posters by the weekend.

-AZ
GregWTravels, bhrubin and ryw like this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 2:43 pm
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
Just a note of gratitude to all the moderators for what must be the incredibly tedious work you are all doing to get this forum in order!
SanDiego1K, Horace and bhrubin like this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by Horace
Folks on this forum keep throwing around the terms merge and merger and post-merger when referring to what's happening on August 18, 2018, as well as to what members with an Rewards account and SPG will be able to do. Travel credit card bloggers have used these words in the same way, but Marriott has not (at least not on its website or in official publications).

bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 10:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by ymx
Just a note of gratitude to all the moderators for what must be the incredibly tedious work you are all doing to get this forum in order!
+1 or times infinity!

Cheers.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 12:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Wow, that's a lot of work, Sharon. Even if I don't care for lounges, myself, I thank you on behalf of everyone on the Marriott and SPG forums for taking so much time to compile and confirm that info.
Originally Posted by Muerz
Thanks for all your hard work Sharon. It is very much appreciated and I really hope that you continue this work in the future combined forum with as much allure as you did on our cosy Marriott board in the past 👍🏻.
Thanks. New master exec lounge worldwide sticky has been created & is in the new main forum.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...worldwide.html

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.