Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum Guarantee - Walked from Hotel & Unable to Get New Booking - Slept in Car

Platinum Guarantee - Walked from Hotel & Unable to Get New Booking - Slept in Car

Old Aug 2, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by phltraveler
100% agreed. I've had hotels I've stayed at frequently (think every other week for over a year) go a couple times a year and book me a room at my corporate rate ($160 a night) rather than the rack rate ($600 a night) when the hotel was sold out due to a large event (convention, golf tournament, etc.).
I will admit to having done this, too. When the corporate rate will not show up online or if I need a special request, but we are talking once or twice year. We are not talking always for every reservation which is unnecessary. And it is a very far cry from the statement that a guest is more protected by calling directly or it makes a difference on whether a reservation is honored, which is completely wrong and contrary to well established agency laws that neither Marriott nor the hotel can waive as far as the guest's rights are concerned.

One hotel in particular when I checked in one night the hotel manager was there and asked why I was not using the corporate rate. When he learned it was not showing up online he told me to just call and, if need be, drop his name and they would correct the rate. He did not tell me to always call for a reservation, but to call if the corporate rate did not show up after making the reservation online.
C17PSGR likes this.

Last edited by CJKatl; Aug 2, 2018 at 9:21 am
Old Aug 2, 2018, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
Thank you for replying to my questions paagal12.

Now that you have confirmed that an FDA can take a reservation over the phone and has the discretionary power to impact the guest's stay, I have no doubt some will still continue to believe that isn't true. Amazing how some people can hold a belief even in the face of evidence to the contrary.

I particularly liked this comment by one poster, "(don't know why anyone would call to make reservations these days...... online is too easy and offers the same rates you will find by calling)." Umm, because a person can do things that an online computer booking cannot?

I also find it interesting that you mention, "( optimal because we wouldn’t have to pay a booking fee to franchise and save a few dollars)" So clearly, that is an actual reason why a hotel would prefer to take a phone reservation directly and not simply transfer the call to Central Reservations. But again, some people will no doubt simply refuse to believe it. LOL
Keep in mind just because one property has implemented the process does not mean that all of them have. The better places empower their staff to deal with issues as required. The lesser places restrict any flexibility and you MIGHT find an enterprising staff member able to work some things out when needed. I have run into many that only want to do the minimum require and are quite accomplished at that.

For the sake of this thread, in simple terms the property failed the guest and should be on the hook for compensation. They can work out what they can with Marriott regarding over booking and no one available to shut it down. Finger pointing is typical whenever there are two or more parties involved but should be avoiding in front of the customer.
clarkef, diburning and jjmoore like this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Keep in mind just because one property has implemented the process does not mean that all of them have. The better places empower their staff to deal with issues as required. The lesser places restrict any flexibility and you MIGHT find an enterprising staff member able to work some things out when needed. I have run into many that only want to do the minimum require and are quite accomplished at that.

For the sake of this thread, in simple terms the property failed the guest and should be on the hook for compensation. They can work out what they can with Marriott regarding over booking and no one available to shut it down. Finger pointing is typical whenever there are two or more parties involved but should be avoiding in front of the customer.
Well stated.... and this pretty well sums up what needs to be discussed in this thread.

I will post anything else I learn about this particular hotel, as I stay there every week right now until December.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Keep in mind just because one property has implemented the process does not mean that all of them have.
He's also talking about IHG properties, not Marriott. While the systems and processes are most likely quite similar, they are completely different companies. How a Holiday Inn or Crowne Plaza does things isn't exactly the same as a Courtyard or a Renaissance.
diburning likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 4:52 pm

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
Originally Posted by jjmoore
I think that's a great outcome to a pretty adverse situation... I would be fine with the extra 10,000 points.... take it and run.
its the Bay Area. 100000 is fair.
I would have asked for 100000 and a return comp stay
Old Aug 8, 2018, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by OpenSky
Please, it's Tracy...
Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
A quick google search shows Tracy as being 62.9 miles from San Francisco & closer to Modesto & Stockton. Hey, the OP said that the nearest hotel was 60 miles away. Maybe that meant there were rooms available IN San Francisco

Cheers.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:23 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
A bit late to this discussion but I had a situation a few months ago where about 20 of us were attending a meeting in the Bay Area and staying at the Marriott Santa Clara. The Hotel apparently has two reservations systems - one for conferences and one for individuals and they were out of sync. They overbooked the hotel and 9 reservations in our party were not honored. There were no hotels within 30-40 miles and it was pretty bad.

I talked to the GM of the hotel and he said "sorry - we screwed up". I guess everyone makes mistakes but in this case the Marriott Santa Clara was horrible. Most people ended up finding their own hotels far away and the hotel was COMPLETELY USELESS in helping. In a few cases they actually charged the people for not showing up and they had to fight this after the fact.

This happens a lot more often than people here seem to realize. It has nothing to do with the hotel chain and a lot to do with how well managed the hotel is.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
Holy crap. This is a bad one. I would absolutely push hard on this-both at the same time. One thing we know for sure-We know its not your fault. I'd attempt to get them both on an email thread. I think you are do much more than the guarantee having to sleep in a car. I'd put this all over social media that you cannot get the answer on the $$ and the points and that frankly you want more. Keep your foot on the gas.
Originally Posted by Baze
I can believe in the direct SF Bay area, but OP said within 60 miles. That gets you 2/3rds of the way to Sacramento. Tracy, Fairfield, Vacaville, etc. All those were 100% sold out too? I highly doubt the 60 mile radius was 100% sold out. Don't think much effort was put in by either the front desk or the OP to really find a room within that radius. I can believe they didn't want to go that far so decided to sleep in their car instead of driving to Fairfield or such area.
I have no doubts that all hotels nearby were either sold out or far away. In a previous life when I was booking corporate travel to SF for a startup it was quite common either to see entire areas sold out (i.e. Palo Alto/SJ region) or be priced at an insane rate like $1,000/night. In particular, I recall having to book a hotel for SF during the Super Bowl weekend and the best option was the Motel 6 Oakland airport which was still very expensive (I believe around $200 USD/night). Depending on the training the FD agents got they may have been under the impression that they had a fixed budget to re-accommodate the traveller (i.e. $300) which in the valley will get you next to nothing during a conference at the last minute.

As I read the OP, the booking was made on the Marriott website, not directly with the hotel. So the hotel did not confirm a booking, Marriott did. There is a difference.

The hotel did not 'walk' the OP, the hotel stated that Marriott reservations had a problem and it was up to them to solve it. If that is indeed what happened, I am in agreement with the hotel, they had no responsibility for the problem, they had no reservation!

As for sleeping in the car, obviously not every hotel room in 60 miles was full, that statement is simply beyond belief. The OP 'made his bed and has to lie in it' seems quite appropriate. No one is responsible for that other than the OP and no compensation from anyone for that decision is due. But Marriott is definitely responsible for confirming a reservation for a room that was not available in the hotel.
It may surprise you to learn that I always make reservations directly with the hotels I stay in, including Marriotts and Hiltons. Are you aware that most of the hotels are franchises, not directly owned by Marriott or Hilton etc.? Did you note that the OP wrote that the hotel blamed the Marriott reservation system (meaning they were saying Marriott confirmed a reservation when in fact a room was not available) and Marriott blamed the hotel for 'not closing' their reservations.
It may very well be true that a particular Marriott I'm staying at is a franchise not owned by the SPMarriott company. However, it shouldn't matter! When I go to a McDonalds I don't think to myself I wonder what this particular McDonalds offers! I know exactly what to expect I could have a Big Mac, Quarter Pounder, etc, even if the McDonalds I'm at is half way round the world. That's the whole point of chains like the Hiltons and Marriotts is you expect to get consistent service and treatment regardless of where you are staying. At a very minimum I would expect that if I book directly with Marriott that reservation will be honoured since I booked directly with the hotel, not with a third party like Expedia where the inventory could be messed up. Marriott's website holds the most accurate view of inventory and if there are any discrepancies that should be on SPMarriott or the hotel in question not doing their job. Folks, this is 2018, not 1997 data consistency has been solved!

If I was in the situation where a hotel was unable to walk me with my confirmed reservation, I would pulled up Expedia found whatever room was available and booked that. Then send the bill to the hotel/chain in question.

Originally Posted by pooker
Please be advised that I am currently working on a resolution from last night’s issue. I have contacted Marriott Customer Care and was directed to call Mr. Marriott’s office directly which will be open tomorrow at 7am.

I shall be able to give you an update as soon as I am able to get directives from Mr. Marriott’s office.
"
Originally Posted by pooker
Just as an update the hotel told me they can give me 90000, but the 100 dollars is difficult since it has to go back to the hotel owners and could take 6 weeks. She offered me an extra 10k points for a total of 100k
Seems especially light given the fact that you held a confirmed reservation, they did not re-accommodate you (the guarantee for the Platinums assumes they did re-accomodate) and they contacted Mr.Marriott directly. If that's what Mr. Marriott actually suggested for one of their most loyal customers then I need to seriously rethink my hotel choices down the road. And I would certainly hope that the hotel would refund (or not charge) you for the night you never got from them!

Safe Travels,

James
Old Aug 9, 2018, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by j2simpso
It may very well be true that a particular Marriott I'm staying at is a franchise not owned by the SPMarriott company. However, it shouldn't matter! When I go to a McDonalds I don't think to myself I wonder what this particular McDonalds offers! I know exactly what to expect I could have a Big Mac, Quarter Pounder, etc, even if the McDonalds I'm at is half way round the world. That's the whole point of chains like the Hiltons and Marriotts is you expect to get consistent service and treatment regardless of where you are staying. At a very minimum I would expect that if I book directly with Marriott that reservation will be honoured since I booked directly with the hotel, not with a third party like Expedia where the inventory could be messed up. Marriott's website holds the most accurate view of inventory and if there are any discrepancies that should be on SPMarriott or the hotel in question not doing their job. Folks, this is 2018, not 1997 data consistency has been solved!
Actually, it is the property's system that holds the most accurate view of inventory with Marriott.com being updated after the fact and maybe not completely. Properties are allowed to load more than they have physically available to accommodate last minute cancellations and no-shows. And when the property pulls a room for maintenance, it may not show online immediately, if at all. Too many times I hear of guests being DYKWIA types and bully an FDC into making a room or upgrade available based upon what the website says. I'd bet all they accomplished is pushing their misfortune onto someone else that was already blocked into the room they got.
Seems especially light given the fact that you held a confirmed reservation, they did not re-accommodate you (the guarantee for the Platinums assumes they did re-accomodate) and they contacted Mr.Marriott directly. If that's what Mr. Marriott actually suggested for one of their most loyal customers then I need to seriously rethink my hotel choices down the road. And I would certainly hope that the hotel would refund (or not charge) you for the night you never got from them!

Safe Travels,

James
Things happen in life that may not be in the original plan. How someone handles those issues is very important. In this case, both the property and MR failed miserably. Having stayed at several properties in Tracy, I can understand this happening. The OP made the best of his situation, but I really hope MR will step up and apologize in a very generous way with proper training for the hotel should this situation happen again (and being as close to SF as they are, it very likely will).
Old Aug 9, 2018, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by OpenSky
100K is a TON of points.... you have to spend around $7000 to earn that many points, and those points are worth a lot of comp nights... this is more than enough for a once night inconvenience.... regardless of where it happened.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 12:37 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
100K is a TON of points.... you have to spend around $7000 to earn that many points, and those points are worth a lot of comp nights... this is more than enough for a once night inconvenience.... regardless of where it happened.
90k points is the mandatory compensation by policy. They are trying now to convince OP to take an 10k additional points in lieu of $100. TPG values marriott points at $0.009 (less than a penny) each, so OP would be closer to getting the entire comp if it was raised closer to 11k-12k pts.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 12:41 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Sure, but the "guarantee" is 90K + a free night in other accommodations. When the latter half of the deal is not met, I'm not sure 10K points is adequate compensation for that.

Last edited by lexdevil; Aug 10, 2018 at 8:19 am
Old Aug 9, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
I agree that 10K points was a weak offer. If there's no cash involved, I would think at least 35K or so would be a reasonable request. Maybe 10K replaces the $100, but there should be another at least 25K as the reimbursement for the night that they should have paid for to begin with.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by GoPhils
I agree that 10K points was a weak offer. If there's no cash involved, I would think at least 35K or so would be a reasonable request. Maybe 10K replaces the $100, but there should be another at least 25K as the reimbursement for the night that they should have paid for to begin with.
I would argue that the initial 90,000 MR points is a pretty healthy compensation for the inconvenience. And an additional 10,000 is comparable to more like $600 in spend (for a platinum / PP)... I am still in the camp that this is great compensation, and I would take it in an instant, especially for being booted out of a lousy, overpriced property like the FI in Tracy, CA.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.