Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum Guarantee - Walked from Hotel & Unable to Get New Booking - Slept in Car

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum Guarantee - Walked from Hotel & Unable to Get New Booking - Slept in Car

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by CJKatl
BTW, for all your glowing reports about how begging is better done directly with the hotel, doesn't it seem hotels prefer we use the central reservation system rather than their having to have staff available or distracted for reservations?
Perhaps the answer is there is no one size fits all. I make reservations online 100 times a year. I expect the room I reserved to be available. Occasionally, I will, however call the hotel directly for various reasons ... maybe day 1 and day 3 are available at my rate but not day 2. Maybe I had a flight problem and want to see if a fully booked hotel has something.

Regardless, this situation was mishandled by the hotel and central reservations. It was the hotel's problem to provide the guaranteed benefits when overbooked. It was central reservations problem to escalate the situation internally when the property wasn't handling appropriately. And, it wouldn't have hurt for the OP to go on booking.com and say he can see there is a room at the Best Western in Stockton.

Some of our SPG friends complain about the picture of the two old guys in the lobby but if Bill heard about this when he was CEO, there would have been two people dealing with him quickly ... the executive over reservations and the CEO of the company with the franchise over that property.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
Data management 101 says that there can only be one base source for any piece of data. For a reservation system that is the underlying reservation database. There are lots of ways to make an entry in such a database - use the online system, call a central reservations number, talk to someone at a local hotel who then makes an entry in that same central system. The only thing that doesn't work, as noted above, is handwritten sticky notes. So all this "book it local" or "book it central" is a non-argument. It is certainly the case that a local hotel manager may and probably does have greater access to the central system which may allow overriding of the normally stored pricing. That is why "special" bookings may allow negotiation (the whole 2 rooms cheaper deal above) but at the end of the process the reservation winds up in the same system. Even when you go through a 3rd party booker like Expedia, the reservation gets recorded back in that central system. Most hotels certainly outsource that central function because it is a royal pain to run a reliable 24/7 booking system. For the big chains that outsourcer is generally the "chain". So while you may get a local manager to make a special deal at times, a reservation is a reservation once it is in the system and it's original source is of no consequence. The advantage of doing it via the central channels is precisely that you know it has been made - i.e., that a busy local hotel clerk with a balky computer system didn't just write it down intending to enter it as soon as she got finished with the person who just walked in and then forgot. Want "proof" of all this - look at the confirmation numbers you get for your reservation. They all will source to the same system - i.e., make a reservation by calling your local Marriott chain hotel, get the confirmation number, then go immediately to Marriott.com and look up the reservation.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 1:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by pdx1M
There are lots of ways to make an entry in such a database - use the online system, call a central reservations number, talk to someone at a local hotel who then makes an entry in that same central system. The only thing that doesn't work, as noted above, is handwritten sticky notes. So all this "book it local" or "book it central" is a non-argument. It is certainly the case that a local hotel manager may and probably does have greater access to the central system which may allow overriding of the normally stored pricing. That is why "special" bookings may allow negotiation (the whole 2 rooms cheaper deal above) but at the end of the process the reservation winds up in the same system.
Great points. When I've called the hotel and asked them to do something with the day in the middle of my three day stay, I do that because they control the rates. But, I still get a reservation number and can see it online.

On the rare occasion when I need a last minute room at the LAX Ren, I trust the guy who told me he'll have the room for me. But, if that doesn't work, I'm on my own.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 4:57 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by GoPhils

I disagree. Marriott has a couple “guarantees” that aren’t worth anything (such as “guaranteed 4pm checkout”), but this one certainly is. After all, it is called the “Ultimate Reservation Guarantee.” And it’s “worth” is clearly defined - $100-$200 and at least 90,000 points depending on the brand, plus paying for the night somewhere else. Maybe a property can weasel out of paying for the night somewhere else, but they can’t (and shouldn’t be allowed to try to) weasel out of the clearly defined points and cash compensation.

It appears the Fairfield Inn Tracy failed to deliver on this core principle of the MR program and didn’t care that a Platinum member slept in his car. If I ever find myself in that area, I know I sure as heck won’t be staying there.
Try to enforce the "guarantee" in court. It'll be really hard to. It's pure marketing fluff. Are you a lawyer?

If Marriott wanted to give a "real" guarantee, it would say something like:

"If the hotel for which you hold a valid reservation does not make a room available to you at the same price for the same night (by the later of (i) x pm local time and (ii) 2 hours following the time specified in your reservation)) for which you hold such reservation, [the hotel/Marriott central reservations], upon your request, will (1) pay you an amount equal to [$x/x points] and (2) obtain a new room for your use for the same night at a published rate up to $x at a [Marriott brand/other] hotel within a X-mile radius of the original hotel (such new room, an "Alternate Room") ; provided that if no Alternate Room is available, after due inquiry using best efforts, clause (2) shall not apply."

That's an enforceable guarantee. See the difference? Change the terms as you want, but it's precise.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 6:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
Try to enforce the "guarantee" in court. It'll be really hard to. It's pure marketing fluff. Are you a lawyer?
Try and enforce any of the terms of the MR program in court, then report back to us. (Hint: "The Rewards structure is subject to modification, cancellation, or limitation at the Company's discretion, with or without notice. ")

Your entire premise and analysis are pretty much irrelevant, because the MR program rules are only meaningful to the extent Marriott abides by them in good faith. Marriott has typically made good on its "Ultimate Reservation Guaranty" even though it is obviously not legally enforceable. This is a matter of customer service, not legal rights.
C17PSGR and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by CJKatl
In my very similar experience with a Hampton Inn I learned Hilton prohibits its hotels from accepting reservations directly. The entire problem was caused because someone accepted reservations directly at at the hotel, via phone. When I called the hotel directly earlier in the day the person who answered told me she could not take reservations, she knew the Hilton system was down but I should keep trying because that was the only way one could make a reservation. The evening clerk did take reservations by scribbling down names, The people she spoke to were walked (the hotel handled her blunder well) and my understanding is she was fired.

Your advice to call the hotel directly is terrible advice. At best calling the hotel is irrelevant given the reservation system stands in the shoes of the hotel. At worst you could find yourself without a real reservation if the chain has a rule like Hilton's.
This is strange. I usually always book Hilton reservations through their app. However when there's an issue, the app always instructs you to "Contact the Hotel Directly."
Old Jul 29, 2018, 8:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
Sigh, why do people always seem to think that if someone says something that doesn't match up with their own experiences, then that person must be wrong or it is 'something you made up in your head'?

On what basis jdrtravel, would you presume to know what actually happens when I phone a hotel and speak to an FDA? Do you really want to say that to me?

A few months back, I phoned a Marriott Residence Inn to make a booking. I hope you will acknowledge that if the FDA had transferred me to central reservations, I would have been aware of having been transferred.

I started the conversation by telling the FDA that I was looking at booking 2 rooms for 3 people on X date. I needed 2 rooms as my wife's sister would be with us as our guest. However, as retirees on a somewhat limited income, I had a problem and needed his help. I was hoping he could do something for me in regards to cost.

Now do you really believe that having said that to him, his response would be, 'one moment please while I transfer you to reservations, I'm little more than a robot''? Do you think that would have been an appropriate response by him after what I had said to him? A conversation between 2 people generally has to make some sense.

Perhaps given your beliefs you would have expected him to say, 'I can't make reservations, I only deal with guests who are in the hotel, I will have to transfer you to central reservations.' He might have said something like that but in fact he did not.

What he did was respond to what I had told him, my request for help and came back with, 'the lowest price I can offer you for 2 normal rooms on your dates is X.' I replied (paraphrasing) with something like, 'I'm sure that is a fair price but it is a bit more than I hoped to spend. Can you offer me anything else?' He replied, 'give me a second' and I could then hear him clicking keys on his computer. After about 30 seconds he came back with, 'we are pretty fully booked on your dates so I can't do any better on 2 rooms but I have an idea. We have a 2 bedroom suite available. It has a living area, dining and kitchen area and 2 separate bedrooms, both with ensuite bathrooms. As we are a week away from your date, we have less chance of renting it than we do of getting bookings for 2 normal rooms, so I can offer you the suite for $50 less than the total for the 2 rooms. Will that work for the 3 of you?'

I booked the suite. What happened was 2 people had a conversation, no different than if I had been standing at the desk. I asked for help, the FDA tried to give me help. Wonder of wonders I guess that someone would do that rather than transfer me to central reservations. My oh my, how many 'rules' did that break. I'm pretty sure what also happened was the FDA knew what leeway the hotel owner would allow him under certain circumstances in regards to discounting a price to get a booking. An understanding that probably did not comply with Marriott's 'rules' in that regard. Anyone who thinks any franchise owner always complies with all the franchise rules all the time is pretty naive I would say.

So no jdrtravel, the difference between booking directly with the hotel vs. central reservations is not 'something I made up in my head', as this real life example should clearly show you. I make bookings directly with hotels that are in chains with 'rules', all the time. I do so to eliminate the type of situation the OP found himself in here with 2 people playing 'ping pong' and also so that I can negotiate with he hotel for a better offer. I'm pretty good at it if you will allow me a small brag. I'm sure I often get a better offer than central reservations who have to follow the 'rules' would give me.
I don't think they would've been able to drop the price on individual rooms, but a decent CSR for Marriott Reservations (admittedly not easy to find these days) probably could have come up with the same solution to book a 2-bedroom instead.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 9:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by flyerCO
This is strange. I usually always book Hilton reservations through their app. However when there's an issue, the app always instructs you to "Contact the Hotel Directly."
That's meaningless in the context of making a reservation. If you call the hotel and ask for reservations, they will connect you back to Hilton central reservations. The days when major chain hotels staffed their own reservations desks are long gone.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 11:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by Kacee
You were in Tracy?

5000 attendees. Not nearly big enough to sell out the bay area.

DreamForce and OpenWorld are both 60,000+
I stayed in the Tracy Fairfield Inn all of last week except Monday night.... I booked last minute into the Best Western Suites in Tracy for that night.

@pooker ... did this happen at this particular property? They are notorious lately for overselling that hotel.... not to mention overcharging those that do not have corporate rates set up with them.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 11:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
And btw... I can vouch for almost no hotels being available last week... that Monday night booking was apparently a stroke of luck as there was a cancellation at that BW property and that's how I got in. There was literally not another hotel available in the area and I would have had to drive to Salida otherwise.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 3:30 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jjmoore
And btw... I can vouch for almost no hotels being available last week... that Monday night booking was apparently a stroke of luck as there was a cancellation at that BW property and that's how I got in. There was literally not another hotel available in the area and I would have had to drive to Salida otherwise.
Can also vouch, a week out the Sheraton Sunnyvale was charging $784 for a regular room (+ tax!). Managed to snag a corporate rate but still $310 a night. Check-In agent said a lot of conferences in town + summer.
kennycrudup likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 6:15 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
We can banter about whose system was at fault. Where its better to make a reservation. (I also work in Data Mgmt-but in the engineering field-we really push out clients to have a "single point of truth" so this stuff doesn't happen.) Anyway, I hope we can all agree that the OP was walked and the PROPERTY should have paid the Ultimate Res benefits without question. 90K points and the cash. (the other room is a sep issue as there may have been none avail) There are dozens of threads where Marriott makes it miserable to get the benefits THEY set up. Seriously irritates me.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
We can banter about whose system was at fault. Where its better to make a reservation. (I also work in Data Mgmt-but in the engineering field-we really push out clients to have a "single point of truth" so this stuff doesn't happen.) Anyway, I hope we can all agree that the OP was walked and the PROPERTY should have paid the Ultimate Res benefits without question. 90K points and the cash. (the other room is a sep issue as there may have been none avail) There are dozens of threads where Marriott makes it miserable to get the benefits THEY set up. Seriously irritates me.
This is correct... I have voluntarily walked before at a couple other oversold properties, and property mgmt verified that the property mgmt (not MR) is responsible for purchasing compensation points. In my cases, they also paid the night at the property I was relocated to.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 7:55 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
Anyway, I hope we can all agree that the OP was walked and the PROPERTY should have paid the Ultimate Res benefits without question. 90K points and the cash. (the other room is a sep issue as there may have been none avail) There are dozens of threads where Marriott makes it miserable to get the benefits THEY set up. Seriously irritates me.
To the customer the hotel (principal) and the Marriott reservation system (agent) are one and the same. The point of agency laws, which cannot be waived towards a third party without some specific actions of the third party that are not present here, is the third party victim does not have to get involved in the finger pointing. If the hotel and Marriott want to finger point it is between them, but in the meantime either and/or both parties are obligated to make it right for the guest. Even if the hotel thought a Marriott was responsible the hotel is still responsible to the guest and, if need be, after making the correction the hotel can go after Marriott. As for the guest, both the hotel and Marriott are responsible, so whichever party he goes to is obligated to make the correction because as far as the guest is concerned the two parties are one and the same.

Many law schools teach agency law first because it is simple, it is so important because it touches everything and it's settled.
clarkef, jdrtravel and diburning like this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 8:02 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by jjmoore
This is correct... I have voluntarily walked before at a couple other oversold properties, and property mgmt verified that the property mgmt (not MR) is responsible for purchasing compensation points. In my cases, they also paid the night at the property I was relocated to.
The only time a Marriott brand walked me IIRC it was a Louisville Airport CY, or maybe Lexington. When they first told me I started to get angry until they got out that the new hotel was the SHS across the parking lot. The hotel oversold. With that said, there are likely circumstances where it is Marriott's fault, but the point is as far as the guest is concerned that should not matter. The hotel is still obligated to pay and then to go after Marriott if Marriott should pay/reimburse the hotel. As far as the guest is concerned, the hotel and reservation system are one and the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.