Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Official Announcement: Marriott and SPG programs to merge on August 18th

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Official Announcement: Marriott and SPG programs to merge on August 18th

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2018, 8:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by KenInEscazu
How are you folks seeing your SPG account balances?
I used my spg.com login. It gave me my new account number, and now I use that (with the same password).

Originally Posted by RogerD408
YOU must combine your accounts. Once they get everything settled out would be the time to do that.
I'm going to wait until all three stays from this past weekend post.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by Happy
The link you provided IS THE IDENTICAL page I got using the bookmark I have.

When I referred it being Old, it is actually labeled as Current Point Required -
It seems very odd that your identical page has different information.

Here's what I see at the URL I provided - shown in the address bar. The is no "Current Point Required " column.

Can you post what you see, with the identical URL, showing different columns?

Originally Posted by Happy
In other words, the bookmark I used to get to the interactive chart, goes to the identical screen your URL leads to - but the chart no longer shows the STILL IN EFFECT, "Current Points Required" i.e. the Old Level.
I'm not clear on how the bookmark you used goes to the identical screen I posted, but has different content and the URL in your post is different.

In post 78, you linked to "http://uat.points-redemption.marriott.com/category-change?aff=MARUS&affname=111l1113&co=US&nt=PH" - which as I pointed out, is a uat test environment.

In post 81, I suggested you use "https://points-redemption.marriott.com/category-change"

I'm confused on how 2 very different URL's with very different content are "identical".

(fwiw, your uat environment now seems to be updated, no longer showing what you saw. When I was running conversion/UAT, we would do weekly code refreshes/data loads, so I suspect it simply has caught up/been updated/corrected)

Last edited by CPRich; Aug 20, 2018 at 9:56 pm
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:33 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, Melia Platinum, SIXT Platinum, Accor Silver, Lufthansa FTL
Has anybody been able to select their new choice benefits for reaching 50 and/or 75 nights?
When I click on the link, I am being re-directed to https://choice-benefit.marriott.com/...rewards/signin and then a password window comes up and obviously I don't know the password for this site.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by SunshineStay
Has anybody been able to select their new choice benefits for reaching 50 and/or 75 nights?
When I click on the link, I am being re-directed to https://choice-benefit.marriott.com/...rewards/signin and then a password window comes up and obviously I don't know the password for this site.
You may not be able to choose. It's been said you must cross the 50/75 thresholds after the program merges (since it's a feature of MPG) AND that combining accounts doesn't qualify. Not good news but does make sense, why shouldn't everyone with more than 50/75 get the choice when it wasn't a benefit?
Old Aug 21, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Not a seamless process but will allow the dust to settle over the next few days & see what happens.

Accounts merged as per link. Automatically showed as expected - Platinum Elite. Today Website and App show Gold Elite, yet Marriott's booking system (as per Agent) correctly shows P.E. Surely this is something that technical support could have corrected?
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
You may not be able to choose. It's been said you must cross the 50/75 thresholds after the program merges (since it's a feature of MPG) AND that combining accounts doesn't qualify. Not good news but does make sense, why shouldn't everyone with more than 50/75 get the choice when it wasn't a benefit?
This would make no sense. Take my case: 30 Marriott + 24 SPG nights pre-merge. Combined the accounts, now at 54 nights. You say it wouldn't be eligible. Had I just 49 combined nights and stayed 1 more night after post-merge, would that make me eligible?
Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
This would make no sense. Take my case: 30 Marriott + 24 SPG nights pre-merge. Combined the accounts, now at 54 nights. You say it wouldn't be eligible. Had I just 49 combined nights and stayed 1 more night after post-merge, would that make me eligible?
Yeah, that would be pretty unpalatable to a lot of folks. Also, this is 2018, and we've all known all year that we would be seeing our accounts combined prior to year's end and thus felt free to stay across the brand spectrum (unless we were gunning for legacy LT status).

Having said all that, it occurs to me that this may be a 2019 going forward type of thing? Haven't really looked into it, but I certainly don't see anything to do with this in my account...
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
On August 18, 2018, we began the process of updating our systems to launch our new loyalty program. Currently, we are working to solve a few known account issues impacting some of our members. Please check status.marriott.com regularly for further updates. We thank you for your patience during this time.

Best regards,

Marriott Rewards Insider
Actually, status.marriott.com never seems to show any info besides whether the website is up or down. It doesn't show progress on any specific issues.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SunshineStay
I got as far as seeing the box requesting the password; the little window popped up automatically when I looked at my account. However, I didn't proceed as I plan to wait until the mess is somewhat more resolved since I still have some SPG SNAs to use before the end of the year.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 5:08 am

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
I can't login to either site. I haven't been able to since Saturday. How long should I wait before panicking?
Old Aug 22, 2018, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
Yeah, that would be pretty unpalatable to a lot of folks. Also, this is 2018, and we've all known all year that we would be seeing our accounts combined prior to year's end and thus felt free to stay across the brand spectrum (unless we were gunning for legacy LT status).

Having said all that, it occurs to me that this may be a 2019 going forward type of thing? Haven't really looked into it, but I certainly don't see anything to do with this in my account...
I fully understand the disbelief, but doesn't surprise me. It just doesn't make sense to flood the market with everyone having over 75 nights getting 10 SNAs right now. Seriously doubt that will happen. SNAs are troublesome as they are, can't imagine what would happen if they flooded the market. There's so much "first year only" issues.

Let's wait and see what happens.

Being that FT is all about learning how to play the game, imagine if you made 50 SPG nights before 7/27 and picked 10 SNAs, then crossed 75 SPG nights after 8/18. If you don't merge your accounts, you could cross 50 & 75 MR nights and get yet another 10 SNAs!
Old Aug 22, 2018, 4:55 pm

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
I can't login to either site. I haven't been able to since Saturday. How long should I wait before panicking?
Same here, except since Monday, but I didn't panic, I calmly logged into Hilton and made reservations there instead.
ChinaShrek likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Being that FT is all about learning how to play the game, imagine if you made 50 SPG nights before 7/27 and picked 10 SNAs, then crossed 75 SPG nights after 8/18. If you don't merge your accounts, you could cross 50 & 75 MR nights and get yet another 10 SNAs!
Good point. I imagine they've thought through a lot of these such corner cases, just a little disappointed they've yet to concisely communicate the policy.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
The benefit choice URL now redirects here - probably before it was a test version that slipped online.

https://choice-benefit.marriott.com/...rds/comingsoon

Coming soon.

MEMBERS WITH AT LEAST 50 ELIGIBLE NIGHTS CAN CHOOSE THEIR BENEFIT.

We’ll unveil our Annual Choice Benefits soon and invite eligible members to select the new benefit that suits them best
Old Aug 23, 2018, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
I fully understand the disbelief, but doesn't surprise me. It just doesn't make sense to flood the market with everyone having over 75 nights getting 10 SNAs right now. Seriously doubt that will happen. SNAs are troublesome as they are, can't imagine what would happen if they flooded the market. There's so much "first year only" issues.
I don't care about SNAs, I'd like my 75N choice for which I'll take a free night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.