Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Official Announcement: Marriott and SPG programs to merge on August 18th

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Official Announcement: Marriott and SPG programs to merge on August 18th

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2018, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by ellinj
Just logged into the updated site, It says I am platinum status with 11 nights till platinum premier ( i have 64 nights this year) . However, earlier in the year I completed a challenge which gave me platinum which to my understanding should yield platinum premier. , any else been effectively downgraded?
Wondering the same thing - mine is showing similarly.

I had earned SPG plat and then internally matched to Marriott plat, so I am wondering if the system is basing the conversion off of my "true" earned status - SPG plat - rather than my matched (Marriott) status - which would make me a plat in the new system rather than a plat premier. I don't recall seeing any explicit mention of that, but...
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 1:15 pm

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by ellinj
Just logged into the updated site, It says I am platinum status with 11 nights till platinum premier ( i have 64 nights this year) . However, earlier in the year I completed a challenge which gave me platinum which to my understanding should yield platinum premier. , any else been effectively downgraded?
There's ongoing discussion in another thread about this issue: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...reads-184.html

Quite a few people seem to have been given Platinum where they expected PP status; conversely, there are numerous reports of people who expected to be on Gold but have been upped to Platinum.

Hopefully this will get cleared up soon, well at least for those who have been downgraded. I guess the people with unexpected upgrades will be happy for things to stay as they are!

Last edited by yurtripper; Aug 19, 2018 at 1:22 pm Reason: usual typos
Old Aug 19, 2018, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by arlflyer
Wondering the same thing - mine is showing similarly.

I had earned SPG plat and then internally matched to Marriott plat, so I am wondering if the system is basing the conversion off of my "true" earned status - SPG plat - rather than my matched (Marriott) status - which would make me a plat in the new system rather than a plat premier. I don't recall seeing any explicit mention of that, but...
That's exactly how it should be - conversion off earned status rather than linked status, so for people who were SPG Platinum and then linked to Marriott the status should be Platinum.
The issue here is that some of us who were Platinum via Marriott are currently showing plain Platinum rather than PP. According to the conversion rules, former Marriott Golds and SPG Plats should have Platinum status, not former Marriott Plats.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by yurtripper
That's exactly how it should be - conversion off earned status rather than linked status, so for people who were SPG Platinum and then linked to Marriott the status should be Platinum.
The issue here is that some of us who were Platinum via Marriott are currently showing plain Platinum rather than PP. According to the conversion rules, former Marriott Golds and SPG Plats should have Platinum status, not former Marriott Plats.
OK, thanks, somehow missed that in the various articles and sites about the updated program.

EDIT: I'll also note that the website seems to be implying that plats don't get free breakfast or lounge access (see image below). Has something changed on this front?
Attached Images  

Last edited by arlflyer; Aug 19, 2018 at 1:34 pm
Old Aug 19, 2018, 1:39 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
OK, thanks, somehow missed that in the various articles and sites about the updated program.

EDIT: I'll also note that the website seems to be implying that plats don't get free breakfast or lounge access (see image below). Has something changed on this front?
Nope, Nu-Plats get the same free breakfast/lounge access as Legacy MR Gold. Plus on the regular Plat benefits page it reads "At hotel brands that have lounges, you’ll have full access and complimentary breakfast. See terms and conditions for participating brands." so I think it was just bad word choice to describe PP.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Nothing has changed. There is just an endless list of things Marriott hasn’t bothered to update yet.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by ryw
Nope, Nu-Plats get the same free breakfast/lounge access as Legacy MR Gold. Plus on the regular Plat benefits page it reads "At hotel brands that have lounges, you’ll have full access and complimentary breakfast. See terms and conditions for participating brands." so I think it was just bad word choice to describe PP.
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Nothing has changed. There is just an endless list of things Marriott hasn’t bothered to update yet.
OK, thanks.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 2:09 pm

The website is just very badly worded for suggesting to people logging in as Plats that the next step in elite status is getting lounge access and comp breakfast as a Plat Premier (you already have this).
Old Aug 19, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Delta Plat
Can I now book SPG rooms through my Marriott account? It almost works however on marriott.com when I click on a room rate it redirects to the main page. On the mobile app it is advising the hotels doesn't take amex and when I try to add a new card the card type box is empty so I can't proceed!
Old Aug 19, 2018, 3:09 pm

Programs: Marriott and British Airways
I am missing all my Marriott stays and points, only my Starwood points are there. My accounts were not combined. Can I combine them? SPG site is down.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 3:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, National EE
I've never stayed at a Marriott property, however I had marched from my SPG gold status to Marriott gold. Today when I logged in to check on things, I found I have zero points. I had around 5k in my SPG account. Anyone else have this issue?

Also - assume since I matched to 'old' Marriott gold from SPG, I will not get the bump to platinum?
Old Aug 19, 2018, 5:27 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by ITravelElite
I am missing all my Marriott stays and points, only my Starwood points are there.
Ditto for me, but in the reverse (even on the SPG site). I'm just waiting it out, no sweat.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 5:30 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Betcha that outage won't end up being fully resolved before Monday morning 8/20 at the earliest
Can't log into either as of now

I'm sure it'll all clear up (and I have been able to login at various points this weekend) but having been here before, I just had a feeling.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 6:09 pm

Location: SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold:AA Plat, Now retired but previous NWA PLAT 2 Million +, United 1K plus etc etc
I expected it to be bad, but complete radio silence for 2 days and no updates even on FT by the Marriott Insider or Starwood Lurkers? Must be really bad if even they can’t provide any updates.

Imagine sitting on the plane stranded, pushed back from the gate, for 2 days with no updates from the captain or flight crew!!

Send out an updated message, yes it’s taking us longer, yes many of you have reported issues with missing points or nights, don’t worry you won’t lose your points we made backups of everything.
If you need to book, change, cancel please call the hotel directly or something (just don’t email the hotel because we’ve now hidden all the hotels email addresses from our web sites...(sorry that was from a different thread I read a few minutes ago if you hadn’t heard it yet)
Then some kind of update on timeline. Don’t use the site until we email you or if you see it’s working give it try..lol

It’s not that complicated to communicate good or bad news, at least say something? The leaked internal timeline is 1 day past due now.

The original message from Marriott was Planned Systems Outage: As we launch our new program, a temporary outage of all systems, sites and apps is planned for August 18 beginning early morning (U.S. Eastern Time). This means that for most of the day there will be time when bookings are not possible, your account is not accessible, account combine is not available, etc. Please plan accordingly and be a bit patient with us during this transition.

fyi, I was able to combine my account about 1:15pm PST today (details and steps posted under Starwood heading in the “systems outage update” thread) and all my data when combined, nights, status, resverations were correct so there is hope I think.
I even was able to make a reservation online about the same time.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:42 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Looks like the reservations Iheld but didn't attach e-cert for were repriced.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.