Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Official Announcement: Marriott and SPG programs to merge on August 18th

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Official Announcement: Marriott and SPG programs to merge on August 18th

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2018, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Newman
Does this announcement mean that when I log into my Marriott account on August 19th (or 20th), and enter a city name, all of the Starwood brand properties in and around that city will be shown as options (in addition to the Marriott properties)?
And I can book a stay at those Starwood hotels using my Marriott account #?

Thanks.

Newman
Yes, or rathey after they get all the bugs worked out. The only issue will be if you want to use your SPG points to book the room, you either need to log into your new SPG account OR have merged your accounts so all points are in one place.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 6:33 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

My stays are from 8/20 to 8/28. I get SPG biz, Marriott Biz and RC cards. Not sure which one to use. If I book Sheraton with SPG biz, do I still grand-fathered with the club lounge access? They making a mess with this change.....
Old Jul 30, 2018, 2:24 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

I know I'm asking for the world here but it would've been nice to know # of Platinum years for lifetime status purposes on the profile, similar to what SPG shows on their dashboard.
Calling Marriott generates uncertain answers.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by izzik
I know I'm asking for the world here but it would've been nice to know # of Platinum years for lifetime status purposes on the profile, similar to what SPG shows on their dashboard.
It's been said that info will be on the new website. Given you have until the end of the year to make Platinum in one or both programs still time. Very little to be done in the time remaining, so sit back and read the announcements and the FT experiences before doing anything rash.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 2:58 pm

I have a stay booked on points in NYC for a RI that is going down in point redemption requirements after the merger (from 35,000 to 25,000). But rooms are scarce for the time I'm booking (mid-September), so I don't want to risk waiting until late August to book the room on points.

Am I right to think that I can call the reward program desk after the merger (and before my stay) to have the point deduction adjusted to the lower level?
Old Jul 30, 2018, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by frogoutofwater
I have a stay booked on points in NYC for a RI that is going down in point redemption requirements after the merger (from 35,000 to 25,000). But rooms are scarce for the time I'm booking (mid-September), so I don't want to risk waiting until late August to book the room on points.

Am I right to think that I can call the reward program desk after the merger (and before my stay) to have the point deduction adjusted to the lower level?
Yes.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 5:36 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by tth6133
Yes.
Marriott has always been good about this. If you cannot make another reservation online you can do it over the phone. Not all CSRs can do this, it may require some sort of override, but they know it can be done and will get a supervisor to run it through the system.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by izzik
Why would want what's shown on the SPG dashboard? What's shown on the SPG dashboard is plan wrong with respect to the new program, it's only valid for the legacy SPG program. (It counts years you got Plat at SPG from linking Plat you earned at Marriott, but it's been said that that won't count in the new program.)

So I wouldn't believe any count before August 18, online or offline, from Marriott or Starwood.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I'm pretty sure izzik meant the same meta-data as shown on the SPG site, not the actual data. Hence the "similar to".

While knowing number of years at PLT with SPG wouldn't make sense on the MR site, don't you agree that the number of years at PLT with MR on the MR site would be nice? Or combined number of years on the new site, from legacy programs, to be used for new program qualifications.

izzik and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 9:20 am

I am curious if there will be a "spend" tracker on MR site as new top tier Ambassador requires $20,000. I sure hope that this feature is included , as it would be a serious pain in the rump to have to call and suffer the long hold times to get spend information.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 9:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Mister Nice
I am curious if there will be a "spend" tracker on MR site as new top tier Ambassador requires $20,000. I sure hope that this feature is included , as it would be a serious pain in the rump to have to call and suffer the long hold times to get spend information.
HA! You mean "suffer the long hold times and NOT get spend information."
Old Jul 31, 2018, 2:09 pm

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
My last Marriott stay was 18 months ago. My last SPG stay was in July 2018. When will my points expire upon reset?
Old Jul 31, 2018, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPRich
I'm pretty sure izzik meant the same meta-data as shown on the SPG site, not the actual data. Hence the "similar to".

While knowing number of years at PLT with SPG wouldn't make sense on the MR site, don't you agree that the number of years at PLT with MR on the MR site would be nice? Or combined number of years on the new site, from legacy programs, to be used for new program qualifications.
But the SPG site doesn't (generally) show the number of platinum years! It simply shows the number of elite years (Gold and Platinum combined). But only Platinum will count toward the new program.

If you have more than enough lifetime nights at SPG for SPG lifetime legacy Plat, it may show you platinum years on the tracker. But if you don't have enough lifetime nights at SPG for SPG lifetime legacy Gold even, the tracker will only tell you have many total Gold+Plat years you have.

So that's yet another reason I consider the SPG dashboard semi-useless.

So yes, it would be nice to have an accurate count of years at both sites, in the terms that will be used by the new program (Plat only at SPG, Gold+Plat at Marriott, and presumably only earned years on both sides), but I haven't seen it yet at either site, and I don't expect it before August 18. (And from what I hear, phone/email agents both at Marriott nor SPG routinely give incorrect numbers if asked for this, or different numbers if you ask different agents on the Marriott side.)

So I'd rather wait for accurate counts of years, than have inaccurate counts now and make decisions based on inaccurate counts. (And from that standpoint, I'm irked that I now have to wait until the 18th, or even a bit later depending on how long that "outage" lasts, but OTOH I hope they're taking that extra time to make sure they have all those counters accurate after the 18th.)

Last edited by sdsearch; Jul 31, 2018 at 3:27 pm
Old Jul 31, 2018, 5:13 pm

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by sdsearch
But the SPG site doesn't (generally) show the number of platinum years! It simply shows the number of elite years (Gold and Platinum combined). But only Platinum will count toward the new program.

If you have more than enough lifetime nights at SPG for SPG lifetime legacy Plat, it may show you platinum years on the tracker. But if you don't have enough lifetime nights at SPG for SPG lifetime legacy Gold even, the tracker will only tell you have many total Gold+Plat years you have.

So that's yet another reason I consider the SPG dashboard semi-useless.

So yes, it would be nice to have an accurate count of years at both sites, in the terms that will be used by the new program (Plat only at SPG, Gold+Plat at Marriott, and presumably only earned years on both sides), but I haven't seen it yet at either site, and I don't expect it before August 18. (And from what I hear, phone/email agents both at Marriott nor SPG routinely give incorrect numbers if asked for this, or different numbers if you ask different agents on the Marriott side.)
I'm guessing these are among the issues that drove them to have the LTPP qualification announcement in January. Basically that gives them 3.5 (or so) months to figure out the years, or at least makes it a much lower priority.

Personally, I'd also love to see an accurate count of years on the 18th when the new program starts (i.e. the count that will be used going forward for LT qualification), but Im' not holding my breath.

I started saving all my MR cards back in 2003, so I can count the years I was Plat and Gold. Of course, that doesn't cover 1997-2003 when I'm pretty sure I was Plat for most of those years. I've also noted before that they haven't addressed soft landings and comped status years to my satisfaction.

If you are lifetime Gold in SPG, the tracker will show you the number of years Plat that you have (if you have any). If you aren't lifetime Gold yet, you are correct that it just shows Plat/Gold combined as you would be tracking towards lifetime Gold.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by tods27
I'm guessing these are among the issues that drove them to have the LTPP qualification announcement in January. Basically that gives them 3.5 (or so) months to figure out the years, or at least makes it a much lower priority
Except that LTP also requires ten years and that is supposed to be effective in August.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.