Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Official Announcement: Marriott and SPG programs to merge on August 18th

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Official Announcement: Marriott and SPG programs to merge on August 18th

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2018, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by seks
My accounts are now merged. When I log in to my Marriot app, points are there. In the SPG app, it's 0.

So I guess I can just uninstall the SPG app?
Yes, it's of no use now. You should get an error if you try to access the SPG account on the web.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 12:41 pm

status match

I originally got my status match in 2016 to gold elite from SPG to Marriott Rewards. Before the system update, I have the gold elite status until 2019. However, it did not automatically upgrade me to the new platinum elite level. It still kept me under gold elite.
Is this an error?
Old Aug 31, 2018, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by skyline101
I originally got my status match in 2016 to gold elite from SPG to Marriott Rewards. Before the system update, I have the gold elite status until 2019. However, it did not automatically upgrade me to the new platinum elite level. It still kept me under gold elite.
Is this an error?
Status matching goes away as of the merge. SPG Gold gets MPG Gold (as it did with the linking). Only those with MR Gold get bumped to MPG Platinum.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 7:12 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Priority Club Platinum, HHonors Gold VIP
Please tell me whether you experienced something similar. Before the 18th of August I had 44 nights credited in my account and pending another 9 . Since after the 18th of August my account shows only 24 nights . I emailed twice Marriott but still no answer .
Old Sep 1, 2018, 11:47 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
So I cancelled 3x SPG reservations I had on points (which were originally made before Aug 18th) a few days ago (10K, 7K, 7K... but 30K, 21K and 21K now) and the points did not redeposit into my combined MR account. I'm guessing they are in some SPG account I can't see or have access to anymore. How do I transfer these to my combined MR account? Any help would be great. I tried to call the other night but after being on hold for 10 minutes, ending up in the wrong place, getting transferred and then being on hold for another 15 minutes I just hung up. If there is a good Plat Premier number to call without a long wait that would be great to know

Edit: I answered my own question. I thought I had already combined my accounts. I had not clicked all the way through I guess. That fixed it.

Last edited by trekwars2000; Sep 1, 2018 at 11:58 am
Old Sep 2, 2018, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
I merged my accounts, but the SPG points were added as is, not times 3, for example, say, I had 10k Marriott points and 2k spg points, and now have 12k marriott points.I thought I would get 10k + (2k x 3 = ) 6K = 16k points, given that spg points are supposedly worth 3x the marriott points, right? Should I write in?
Old Sep 2, 2018, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nk15
I merged my accounts, but the SPG points were added as is, not times 3, for example, say, I had 10k Marriott points and 2k spg points, and now have 12k marriott points.I thought I would get 10k + (2k x 3 = ) 6K = 16k points, given that spg points are supposedly worth 3x the marriott points, right? Should I write in?
The points showing in your SPG account after the merge was already turned into MPG points. Check your SPG points from before the 18th and you should see it as 1/3 of what you had before combining your accounts.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
My account shows that I have no activity since my last stay before 8/18, The pts/nights seem to have incremented, but its aggravating not to be able to see the detail. I see the note that says they are still "working" on it, but it seems to be taking a lot longer than I would expect.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 6:35 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond; Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by ellinj
My account shows that I have no activity since my last stay before 8/18, The pts/nights seem to have incremented, but its aggravating not to be able to see the detail. I see the note that says they are still "working" on it, but it seems to be taking a lot longer than I would expect.
THIS! I have the same crap going on. It's been more than two weeks, folks!
Old Sep 5, 2018, 1:16 am

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
My account was in pretty good shape, but I was missing $148,XXX points and 20 nights from a new Chase Business card. I spent two hours on the phone with them tonight to fix it, and I ended up with only the points from the Chase Business card and 20 total nights. I can't access my reservations. I'm missing 100 nights. My status is reduced to Platinum.

This was my third two hour call since the merger. I'm going to have a minimum of 8 hours invested in this with another call, and I can't bill them for it. This is the biggest clusterfart of a merger that I've seen since United and Continental tried to merge. Hyatt may be the winner for me. I'm just about fed up.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 9:59 am

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
Originally Posted by ellinj
Same, but the CSR can see the details of stays and since the points/nights serm to be close enough for government work I am going to chill and see if the (admittedly first world) problem solves itself. Nothing has posted from the *wood Amex for about six weeks, but I am confident it will catch up.

While I personally can't contemplate a merger of this magnitude, in retrospect it might have been smart to offer 25,000 points to the first 1,000 takers to try a soft rollout.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 3:26 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, Melia Platinum, SIXT Platinum, Accor Silver, Lufthansa FTL
It seems that the more they fix issues, the more new issues come up or old issues re-occur.

While all of my stays since August 18 still do not show up in the activity list, now my lifetime nights declined by 26 nights (the amount of nights brought over from SPG this year).

This looks more and more like a big clusterf**k to me, that wasn't very well tested prior to the go-life.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 10:19 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Well, my "paid stays" (which was higher than it should have been) is now lower by 5 and my SPG AmEx' 5 nights are posting in its own column, so whoever the one person is that's apparently combining all zillion accounts running the adding machine has finally gotten to fixing that up on mine
Old Sep 9, 2018, 9:13 pm

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
I'm surprised, but I'm now Premier Platinum Ambassador through January of 2020. This despite 55 nights and 145,XXX points that were somehow credited to a phantom account. Not my original Marriott account. Not my re-numbered SPG account. Both of those have been accounted for. The extra nights and points are from a new Chase Business Card I got a few months ago.

My wife and I stayed at the Marriott Bogotá this weekend, and they met us at the airport with a personal rep, the driver knew our names, and the hotel had a fruit tray in our room when we arrived. We've stayed in that hotel several times, and that's not our standard reception.

This ambassador thing seems pretty nice. I'm hoping that the service is an indicator of what we can look forward to over the next 16 months (or more). I guess we'll know soon. If so, this big pain (still unnecessary in my view) may be worth it after the dust settles.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 1:24 am

Programs: SPG
The combined Marriott/Starwood Program is a disaster

The Fairfax at Embassy Row

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

2100 Massachusetts Avenue NW Washington, DC US 20008

The combined Marriott/Starwood Program is a disaster (0 Photo)

I am a Platinum SPG(Starwood Preferred Guest) member. 

I am also a Starwood member.

The combined program was supposed to be effective August 18, 2018.

Today is September 10, 2018.

I have new numbers for both SPG and Marriott and a combined new number. 

I can log in to both SPG and Marriott Rewards using my email address and password. However, even if I have many stays in 2018, my SPG account shows zero stays, zero points, and zero reservations, even if I have several reservations made for 2018 and 2019. 

Even if I am logged in to both SPG and Marriott, when I go to the function to combine my accounts, and repeat the same information, I get an error message that I am temporarily locked out and to try again in 30 minutes. 

Before August 18, 2018, I had a 24/7 telephone concierge service for SPG. This has been discontinued. Now I can only call a Marriott 'service' desk 9 to 5. When I am able to reach them, I get the same robotic reply. Be patient. 

When I email I get the same bot reply and a case number. 

I have tried deleting cookies and trying again. No success. 

I am sure other SPG members are experiencing similiar problems and would like to hear comments from them. 

Brand loyalty has its limits. So far, this Marriott/Starwood merger has been a disaster. 

The combined Marriott/Starwood Program is a disaster

Would you like to write a review on the The Fairfax at Embassy Row?

No, thank you.
Yes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.