Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott award availability almost nonexistent in June 2019 (Tuscany)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2018, 8:45 am
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

I have travel dates already set for Italy for June 2019. I'd like to use points to book Renaissance Tuscany II Ciocco Resort & Spa. The property currently requires 30,000 points/night. It is to drop to 25,000 points/night in August. It then becomes a great candidate for credit card night redemptions. I've been searching for availability during the week of June 9 for the past week. I found none and thought the hotel simply hadn't loaded it. But I just checked availability for the entire month and am shocked to find only 4 nights available for points redemptions between June 1 and June 15. Is this normal for Marriott properties?
Old Jul 21, 2018, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I have travel dates already set for Italy for June 2019. I'd like to use points to book Renaissance Tuscany II Ciocco Resort & Spa. The property currently requires 30,000 points/night. It is to drop to 25,000 points/night in August. It then becomes a great candidate for credit card night redemptions. I've been searching for availability during the week of June 9 for the past week. I found none and thought the hotel simply hadn't loaded it. But I just checked availability for the entire month and am shocked to find only 4 nights available for points redemptions between June 1 and June 15. Is this normal for Marriott properties?
Unfortunately, this is a fairly common practice during peak seasons in popular areas in a number of countries. These hotels keep the "standard" rooms "fully booked" on the official website, and instead sell these rooms on other third party websites in their local language. Unless you can convince Marriott/SPG reps that these are the same "standard" rooms (remember the websites are in different languages) and have them "force" the hotels to release these rooms for point redemption, you'd be out of luck.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 9:19 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Wow. Not something I’ve ever encountered at SPG. I really hope that is not par for the course 😟
JBauer likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 9:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Happening right now with a bunch of the hotels going up in both Greece and Italy for the ones I’ve searched for June 2019. I was afraid of this especially for the ones going up in category! Domes if Elounda (which has the largest increase of any hotel) shows NO availability at all for May or June next year.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by damon88
Wow. Not something I’ve ever encountered at SPG. I really hope that is not par for the course 😟
These problems exist on the Starwood side as well, but SPG reps tend to be more aggressive in forcing these hotels to open up some rooms for redemption.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by damon88
Wow. Not something I’ve ever encountered at SPG. I really hope that is not par for the course ��
If you're used to the "any standard award-type room for sale also available for points" and usually finding availability, you will have an adjustment to make.

It's not as bad as it used to be, but MR availability at popular locations can be spotty, IME.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 11:24 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
For years my MO on international starpoints redemptions has been to book a year or more in advance. I have never had a problem with availability. This would be a major disappointment. I guess I will find out in October when I try to book Peru for October 2019.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 11:50 am

Programs: UA Premier, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I also ran into the same problem at this property for next June. I ended up doing a 7 night award in Florence and 3 paid nights at the Renaissance. I thought I would do some day trips from Florence (after viewing the sights there) and then rent a car and go to the Renaissance. I got the Renaissance for 181€ /night which to me isn't really point worthy.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
It's well known that there's nothing available in Tuscany.

Wickersley likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.