Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Transfering points to satisfy a reward not allowed if you have enough points already?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transfering points to satisfy a reward not allowed if you have enough points already?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2018, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA S, Marriott P

I called up MR to create a points reservations where 90% of points would be out of my spouse's account (112k) with rest from mine to be placed in my account.
After a long hold I was told the system wont allow them to do so because I have enough points in my account to satisfy entire reservation.
Most articles online say that this should not be an impediment to combining points for creating reservation. Has this changed? Did anyone else experience same/different?
Is this a case of HUCA?

thanks!
Old Jul 15, 2018, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by dsauch
I called up MR to create a points reservations where 90% of points would be out of my spouse's account (112k) with rest from mine to be placed in my account.
After a long hold I was told the system wont allow them to do so because I have enough points in my account to satisfy entire reservation.
Most articles online say that this should not be an impediment to combining points for creating reservation. Has this changed? Did anyone else experience same/different?
Is this a case of HUCA?

thanks!
The only way your spouse can transfer more than 50k MR points to you is if you need those miles to book an award. You do not need your spouses’s points as you have enough for an award now in your account. What you were told is correct. All the articles I have read are very clear on the fact that you must need the miles to book an award if you are receiving more than 50k points.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 3:10 pm
Community Director Emerita

Here's your workaround pre August 1. Move your spouse's Marriott points to their SPG account. That is instantaneous. Then move their SPG points to your SPG account. This can take up to a week. Then you can move your SPG points to your Marriott account.
damon88 and mumum17 like this.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Here's your workaround pre August 1. Move your spouse's Marriott points to their SPG account. That is instantaneous. Then move their SPG points to your SPG account. This can take up to a week. Then you can move your SPG points to your Marriott account.
SPG/Marriott transfers may not be instantaneous anymore. Advised a friend to do the same thing this morning, but points were deducted from her SPG account right away but still haven't showed up in her Marriott account.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tth6133
SPG/Marriott transfers may not be instantaneous anymore. Advised a friend to do the same thing this morning, but points were deducted from her SPG account right away but still haven't showed up in her Marriott account.
Correct. I discovered this almost 2 months ago. It often takes an overnight or more before the balance changed to reflect the transfer. Although if you go to Activity, use ALL to see the activities, you can see the line entry there - but the display short with using ALL, would not display it, and the balance definitely does not reflect it - that means you could not use it until the balance reflects it.

SPG internal transfer is a hit or miss for how long it takes. I have done 2 in past 4 weeks. The first one I had to call to follow up on business day no.4 and was told to wait till tomorrow if still not showed up then called again. The second one was done last week, it just took 2 business days to show up in my account. Both were done at the beginning of a week.

Hence if the OP needs the go around, he needs to act asap to account for the delays on both programs.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 3:47 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Or make a dummy points reservation to temporarily drain your account, call and make the reservation you really want using yours and your wife's points and cancel the dummy reservation so your points go back into your account.
craigthemif and dsquared37 like this.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 4:37 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
I assume you want to do it this way because you have status and your spouse doesn't. Otherwise, couldn't you transfer the remaining 10% of the points to your spouse and then make the booking from that account.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA Silver, MR Ambassador, HH Gold
So either make a fake booking with your points as pointed out above or transfer you points to your SPG account. Either way you empty your account and then have the points from your spouse moved over. Only have them moved for a reservation counts towards increasing your lifetime points earnings (if that is what you are doing it for). Your spouse will have their lifetime earnings deducted by that number of points (and thus impacting their lifetime status if they have it).
Old Jul 15, 2018, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Correct. I discovered this almost 2 months ago. It often takes an overnight or more before the balance changed to reflect the transfer. Although if you go to Activity, use ALL to see the activities, you can see the line entry there - but the display short with using ALL, would not display it, and the balance definitely does not reflect it - that means you could not use it until the balance reflects it.

SPG internal transfer is a hit or miss for how long it takes. I have done 2 in past 4 weeks. The first one I had to call to follow up on business day no.4 and was told to wait till tomorrow if still not showed up then called again. The second one was done last week, it just took 2 business days to show up in my account. Both were done at the beginning of a week.

Hence if the OP needs the go around, he needs to act asap to account for the delays on both programs.
I think it's still instance. Awardwallet would see that if you update but the Marriott website has some delay. I noticed thrice the last few times I transferred.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 10:07 pm

Programs: AA Gold/1MM UA CO DL US BA
Originally Posted by cruisr

The only way your spouse can transfer more than 50k MR points to you is if you need those miles to book an award. You do not need your spouses’s points as you have enough for an award now in your account. What you were told is correct. All the articles I have read are very clear on the fact that you must need the miles to book an award if you are receiving more than 50k points.
Sam was my experience. You need to move points around or make a booking and use up ur points and then transfer and cancel the original booking to get them credited back.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 10:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
The disadvantage of this method is that it won't add to the OP's lifetime points count, if that matters to the OP (for instance for lifetime status, including the race to LTPP). A MR to MR transfer lowers the lifetime points total of the donating account and increases the lifetime points total for the account that receives the points.

Switching points back and forth between SPG and MR or MR and SPG won't affect lifetime MR total points at all.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 11:47 am
Original Poster

thank you all for suggestions, lifetime points is indeed main consideration.

At first it seemed like making a reservation to use up almost a million points would be excessive, but then a week+ stay in high end London hotel solved it.

So now I just need to coordinate spouse/marriott, already spent over an hour on hold for marriott rewards support to finalize things, only to go grab the spouse and come back to be hang-uped on. Or disconnected, dont know....
Old Jul 17, 2018, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Final update - had another long call with pleasant MR rep, in the end my spouse was not needed at all (prior rep specifically asked). They were having some issues so after waiting 40min the rep suggested she'd let me go and I just wait for the email confirmation.
The deed is done and I have crossed over to legacy LTG soon to be LTP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.