Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Qualify for platinum with both programs in 2018?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qualify for platinum with both programs in 2018?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2018, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jn in ca
I hate to sound obtuse, but it is fair to say there is more than a little contradictory info in this thread.

So let me ask a simple question: I had over 75 nights with Marriott last year. I am close to 75 nights this year. Is there any benefit to my moving some stays to Marriott in order to hit the 75 nights before Aug. 1st?
No. That's another one of the highly contradictory elements. Some FTers have reported Marriott to be non-committal about whether members will receive the 50 and 75 night gifts if they reach the night targets before August. But if you are currently Platinum from 75 nights, you will be Plat Prem at changeover and so there is no rush for you...
Old Jul 17, 2018, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CJKatl

If you achieved Elite status in both Rewards and SPG in the same year, you’ll receive credit for two Elite years.
You might think that is clear, and it certainly is for any year before 2018. However, you might not have noticed that the past tense is used... "achieved"...

So for now we're relying on the word on the SPG Lurker, which I am inclined to believe but have my legitimate concerns about the IT implementation of it.

Another data point about "what management says will happen will happen" (but won't). The debacle about promising SPG Golds Marriott Platinum through the end of the year...

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Marriott online source please? Thanks.

Also, Marriott's website implementation had an impact on tracking legacy activity (lifetime points not showing online unless you knew how to access the "old" site) for past couple months (it just cleared up very recently). So I don't see how Marriott can promise their star IT department will track anything correctly in the future. "Intend to track", yes, "actually track", that requires functioning IT.
Exactly. The Marriott members website is useful, but is clearly intended for the 90% who just go about their business without caring too much about the finer details. Until there are proper T&Cs that cover all of the random and wonderful travel hacks we pursue, we can't know for sure.

Last edited by craigthemif; Jul 17, 2018 at 4:26 am
Old Jul 17, 2018, 5:51 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Another data point about "what management says will happen will happen" (but won't). The debacle about promising SPG Golds Marriott Platinum through the end of the year...
The written materials always stated SPG Gold would be Gold in the new program, a few execs gave wrong information in the press and Marriott corrected that after taking time to see if they needed to follow what the incorrect execs said. The point is the company has been very careful since then about what information is released.

As for the poster asking if there is any advantage to hitting 75 nights by Aug, NO. Even if you put aside the nonsense about nights after Aug not counting as legacy nights as has been explicitly stated repeatedly, hitting fifty nights gets you a year counting towards LT status in the new program so there is no need to get to 75. None. This has been stated repeatedly and is in the written materials. You will get no additional year if you hit 75 nights that you do not already have at 50. Unless you refuse to believe Marriott and you are looking for potential problems that do not exist, you are set and get your year towards LTP or LTPP at the fifty night mark.
jn in ca likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 6:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
No. That's another one of the highly contradictory elements. Some FTers have reported Marriott to be non-committal about whether members will receive the 50 and 75 night gifts if they reach the night targets before August. But if you are currently Platinum from 75 nights, you will be Plat Prem at changeover and so there is no rush for you...
What? Are you saying that I should have held back and kept my MR nights *under* 50 until after the programs merge in August in order to get the new SNAs?
Old Jul 17, 2018, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What? Are you saying that I should have held back and kept my MR nights *under* 50 until after the programs merge in August in order to get the new SNAs?
I thought the sweet spot was to go over fifty before the implementation of the new program to get ten and to go over 75 once the new program is implemented so as to get fifteen total for the year.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 7:44 am

I thought the sweet spot was to go over fifty before the implementation of the new program to get ten and to go over 75 once the new program is implemented so as to get fifteen total for the year.
Only if you're on the SPG side of the merger... i.e. reach 50 SPG nights before the merger
Old Jul 17, 2018, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by funkbandit
Only if you're on the SPG side of the merger... i.e. reach 50 SPG nights before the merger
correct. my bad.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The theory being floated is you will only get the SNAs when you "cross" the threshold. Now what IT will implement is unknown, what CSRs will have the ability to do is unknown. I am firmly in the camp to read, read, read all released material before taking any actions.
To the OP, if having the nights as Plat is a goal, then absolutely strive to make Plat in both programs before the end of the year. BUT, do keep current with the posts to find out what happens if you merge your accounts. Just like they haven't stated what happens to your legacy accounts, they haven't stated what benefits merging early will get you.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 7:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My understanding was that in order to have a chance of getting 15 SNAs this year, one would need first to hit 50 SPG (only) nights by the end of July and then go over 75 either when the programs are combined or later in the year (maybe after merging the accounts). I don't think having between 50 and 75 MR (only) nights on August 1st will do it.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 7:56 pm

Wait, seriously? This is my exact situation too, I am currently Gold at 74 Marriott nights (and about 10 SPG). I was going to generate a stay next week so I’d hit 75 Marriott nights (and plat status) before the merger, but are you saying there is a possible benefit to avoiding Marriott hotels for the next couple weeks and allowing the merger to make me plat? I really want the SNAs and don’t want to jeopardize them at all. Seems crazy they’d do it that way. Any way you could comment further or point me to this discussion?
Old Jul 18, 2018, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by patiolanterns

Wait, seriously? This is my exact situation too, I am currently Gold at 74 Marriott nights (and about 10 SPG). I was going to generate a stay next week so I’d hit 75 Marriott nights (and plat status) before the merger, but are you saying there is a possible benefit to avoiding Marriott hotels for the next couple weeks and allowing the merger to make me plat? I really want the SNAs and don’t want to jeopardize them at all. Seems crazy they’d do it that way. Any way you could comment further or point me to this discussion?
Sorry to say, from what has been posted by the SPG Lurkers, you need to cross the 75 nights during the new program to get the 5 SNAs. Since you will start with 84 combined nights, no SNAs should be expected. NOW, will MPG change that? Possibly and probably should. I'm thinking it might be a good reason to call in after the programs have merged and you have merged your accounts. I see so many corner cases, many very valid, and I suspect MPG will be able to make appropriate adjustments.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've seen comments like this sprinkled around Flyertalk. Essentially from people who called Marriott and simply didn't receive a clear answer.

Now maybe that's because the agents didn't know, or maybe because the IT systems will be set up to trigger the gifting options upon hitting 50 and 75 nights. I would be very surprised if this couldn't be manually fixed but let's face it, for the next few months Marriott is going to be swamped with problems, so anything you can do to have things happen smoothly and automatically...

P.S. Read the Starwood thread with the wiki containing the Q&A with the lurkers. Some things are made clear. Some other elements have no commitments made.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 6:05 pm

Thanks very much for the two responses above. It seems absurd they would put an arbitrary restriction in like that simply because I completed more stays before the merger. It’s rewarding loyalty in reverse. And it actually seems simpler IT-wise to simply hand out the SNAs to all newly-minted plats, so it’s a terrible excuse if Marriott goes that route.

I will read that thread and perhaps reach out to the spg lurker. I hate chasing things down with Marriott, even when it’s blatantly obvious what needs to be corrected they always make it nearly impossible to fix. I guess we’ll see what happens, but I think it’s pretty clear I’m entitled to those suite nights both per the plat premier benefits list and simple common sense.

Old Jul 19, 2018, 6:29 am

Thanks very much for the two responses above. It seems absurd they would put an arbitrary restriction in like that simply because I completed more stays before the merger. It’s rewarding loyalty in reverse. And it actually seems simpler IT-wise to simply hand out the SNAs to all newly-minted plats, so it’s a terrible excuse if Marriott goes that route.

I see your point and agree with you, but when on another thread I wrote hitting fifty nights and hitting plat were "kinda the same thing" many legacy SPG members attacked and said kinda is different than is and hitting fifty nights and getting Plat are different. Apparently that is the world we are entering. Same would apply for 75 and PP.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I will read that thread and perhaps reach out to the spg lurker. I hate chasing things down with Marriott, even when it’s blatantly obvious what needs to be corrected they always make it nearly impossible to fix. I guess we’ll see what happens, but I think it’s pretty clear I’m entitled to those suite nights both per the plat premier benefits list and simple common sense.

Yes, it's a Simple Matter Of Programming (SMOP) and anything can be done. With the bean counters running too many operations the resources just aren't going to be assigned for one-off functions. On the MPG side, they will be looking at the combined accounts, some MR and some SPG numbers that I doubt will be maintained separately in the system. The SPG members may have already chosen their 10 SNAs, should they get another 5 just because they have more than 50 nights in MR too? And what about those that have already passed 75 nights? Should they get another 5 SNAs even if they picked the 10 SNAs (many hoping/expecting yes)? There are so many corner cases the cost of coding for all that would be immense, especially for a one-time run. I suspect this will be yet another "one-time exception" process where those that call in and make the request will be able to request what they want (and that would be much cheaper in that many will not bother).

Anything can happen and we won't know until it does. Even if it's not there day one, both programs have been known to backtrack to correct missteps in the past. Keep reading the releases and see how they apply to you and your account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.