Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Qualify for platinum with both programs in 2018?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2018, 12:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, AA PLT for Life

Does anyone have clarity on whether qualifying for Marriott Platinum and SPG Platinum is valuable this year?

That is to say, will it count for two separate platinum years on your lifetime total?

And if so, do they have to both be "complete" by the August date?
Old Jul 15, 2018, 4:03 am

Yes, it does. It was confirmed that if you qualify for both, you get 2 years this year.
rogo likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 5:35 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Marriott has confirmed if you qualify for legacy MR Gold this year it will count towards the ten years needed for ten years for LTPP, LTP or LTG in the new program. Legacy MR LTG requires fifty nights for qualification which is what Plat will require in the new program and legacy Gold maps to the new program's Plat50 status so you only need to qualify for legacy Marriott Gold this year to have it count towards as a year of Plat status towards LT status in the new program.

And you have until the end of the calendar year to qualify for either under the legacy rules. It does not need to be completed by Aug 1 or whatever date the new program winds up starting.

Note that if you are planning to hold Marriott meetings to get ten nights credit per meeting there is a rumor that the ten nights per meeting may be going away with the new program (except for the first meeting which the rumor holds will still count for ten) so you might want to be on the safe side and hold your meetings before Aug 1. If you are going to hold meetings anyway doing so quickly won't add any expense but would be better than not being able to do them if the change happens. There is a thread, with Wiki, that goes into details on how to do this.
rogo likes this.

Last edited by CJKatl; Jul 15, 2018 at 5:41 am
Old Jul 15, 2018, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
It has indeed been stated quite clearly that you can earn 2 Platinum years with 50 Marriott-only nights and 25 stays / 50 nights at SPG-only hotels. And that you have all of 2018 to do it.

I am aiming for the same thing, but am a little skeptical of the IT implementation. Specially I might want to merge accounts to become Plat Prem, but before I've done all 50 nights at Marriott. I worry how they will be tracking legacy nights once accounts are combined.
rogo likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by craigthemif
It has indeed been stated quite clearly that you can earn 2 Platinum years with 50 Marriott-only nights and 25 stays / 50 nights at SPG-only hotels. And that you have all of 2018 to do it.

I am aiming for the same thing, but am a little skeptical of the IT implementation. Specially I might want to merge accounts to become Plat Prem, but before I've done all 50 nights at Marriott. I worry how they will be tracking legacy nights once accounts are combined.
So you're willing to risk not getting lifetime Plat Prem just to get annual Plat Prem a few months earlier?

Myself, I will wait until we have some datapoints, or very clear T&Cs, as to what combining accounts actually does and means, before I will combine accounts. I don't see the point of hurrying to combine accounts if lifetime status could be in question by doing so.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
It has indeed been stated quite clearly that you can earn 2 Platinum years with 50 Marriott-only nights and 25 stays / 50 nights at SPG-only hotels.
Where was it stated that the Marriott PLT threshold for this year was reduced from 75 nights to 50 nights?
Old Jul 16, 2018, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by CPRich
Where was it stated that the Marriott PLT threshold for this year was reduced from 75 nights to 50 nights?
It does not, but fifty nights gets MR Gold and MR Gold counts as a year towards LTPP qualification. This has been made clear by the SPG Lurker in the SPG Master Wiki, Question B10:.
Do years of Gold in the legacy MR program count as a year of Platinum in the calculation for LTPP?
Yes, your previous years in the Marriott Rewards Program that were Gold Elite will be counted as years at Platinum Elite in the new program. These years are your Lifetime years and will be counted towards any of the lifetime requirements, including Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite. If a member has combined 10 years of Platinum status and 750 combined lifetime nights by 12/31/2018, they will earn Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status. <further clarified by Starwood Lurker 06Jun18>
Old Jul 16, 2018, 1:07 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Myself, I will wait until we have some datapoints, or very clear T&Cs, as to what combining accounts actually does and means, before I will combine accounts. I don't see the point of hurrying to combine accounts if lifetime status could be in question by doing so.
Marriott has been extremely clear that combining accounts will have no impact on tracking legacy activity towards 2018 qualification. While the first poster raises a valid point that waiting will allow others to experience any IT glitches in the implementation the second poster is needlessly spreading fear that Marriott may not track legacy activity if accounts are combined. That has been refuted over and over again and should not be a fear. I would be more concerned that Bigfoot may stomp on your computer and you might lose your saved password.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
So you're willing to risk not getting lifetime Plat Prem just to get annual Plat Prem a few months earlier?

I don't have the years for lifetime PP, no matter what I do.

Combining accounts does seem to be an area of concern that Marriott hasn't come close to addressing because they mis-judged the actual desire of people to combine Marriott + SPG nights into one elite status counter.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CJKatl
Marriott has been extremely clear that combining accounts will have no impact on tracking legacy activity towards 2018 qualification. While the first poster raises a valid point that waiting will allow others to experience any IT glitches in the implementation the second poster is needlessly spreading fear that Marriott may not track legacy activity if accounts are combined. That has been refuted over and over again and should not be a fear. I would be more concerned that Bigfoot may stomp on your computer and you might lose your saved password.
Sorry, but I disagree. We're not talking about the promise of reaching Platinum via 25 SPG stays.

We're talking about achieving two years of credit for lifetime status for 2018. If the IT doesn't work, I can easily see 90% of phone agents saying "but you are already Plat Prem sir" and not even coming close to understanding that an SPG Lurker promised us two years credit for lifetime purposes if we qualify separately during 2018.

Does it not occur to you that we still know so little about implementation of the merger because management are saying one thing and the back office guys are struggling to figure it out? It's July 16th and we still don't know if things happen on August 1st or at some random point during the month. Platinums were also promised breakfast at all brands, until we weren't...
yurtripper and UA-NYC like this.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 6:41 am

Sorry, but I disagree. We're not talking about the promise of reaching Platinum via 25 SPG stays.

We're talking about achieving two years of credit for lifetime status for 2018. If the IT doesn't work, I can easily see 90% of phone agents saying "but you are already Plat Prem sir" and not even coming close to understanding that an SPG Lurker promised us two years credit for lifetime purposes if we qualify separately during 2018.

Does it not occur to you that we still know so little about implementation of the merger because management are saying one thing and the back office guys are struggling to figure it out? It's July 16th and we still don't know if things happen on August 1st or at some random point during the month. Platinums were also promised breakfast at all brands, until we weren't...
You are conflating a few different things...
  • A member can qualify for two years of elite status in the same year, including 2018, if the member reaches status in each program. This has been published in members.Marriott:
    If you achieved Elite status in both Rewards and SPG in the same year, you’ll receive credit for two Elite years.
  • Legacy MR Gold requires fifty nights, but fifty nights will be Plat in the new program. LTPP is a status in the new program. One way to qualify involves ten years history of being Plat between the two programs. Because legacy MR Gold was the fifty night level, it will count as Plat for the history requirement needed in the new program for LTPP qualification. This has been confirmed by the Lurker in the quote above but is also on the members.Marriott site, in the FAQs:
    We are keeping members “whole” in the applicable night tier in which they earned their Elite status. Example: If a member has 4 years of Elite status at the 50 night level (Gold Elite status) they will be counted in August and beyond as 4 years at the new 50 night level (Platinum Elite status). Only the names of the levels are changing. How we account for tenure is not changing.
If it makes someone happy to act like Marriott will not follow their published parameters and change everything based on made up potential IT problems there's probably no way to explain why that's not going to happen. For those dealing with facts, the facts are listed above and clearly show Marriott has stated one can earn two qualifying years in 2018 by qualifying for status in each program and the Marriott fifty night level will count towards the years of history requirement. As a reputable company that does not act deceitfully yes, I expect Marriott will do what it has published and stand by these parameters. There might be glitches, but there will not be wholesale changes made because IT did not get something right the first time. This is Marriott we are talking about, not Madoff Investments.

This reminds me of Y2K when the chickens were running around with their heads cut off screaming we all needed underground bunkers with enough food to last for three months.

Last edited by CJKatl; Jul 16, 2018 at 6:47 am
Old Jul 16, 2018, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, AA PLT for Life
Thanks everyone!

I will attempt to dual qualify even though for me it isn't a Lifetime Plat Premier thing.

But 2 years towards the 10 year counter is one more than 1. And my travel behavior this year (perhaps with a couple of Marriott meetings) should get there.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CJKatl
Marriott has been extremely clear that combining accounts will have no impact on tracking legacy activity towards 2018 qualification.
Marriott online source please? Thanks.

Also, Marriott's website implementation had an impact on tracking legacy activity (lifetime points not showing online unless you knew how to access the "old" site) for past couple months (it just cleared up very recently). So I don't see how Marriott can promise their star IT department will track anything correctly in the future. "Intend to track", yes, "actually track", that requires functioning IT.
RogerD408 likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Marriott online source please? Thanks.

Also, Marriott's website implementation had an impact on tracking legacy activity (lifetime points not showing online unless you knew how to access the "old" site) for past couple months (it just cleared up very recently). So I don't see how Marriott can promise their star IT department will track anything correctly in the future. "Intend to track", yes, "actually track", that requires functioning IT.
+1 on all

Plus - given the ongoing IT issues (plus inherent IT weakness)...anyone actually think this calculation & display of dollar spend is actually going to be accurate?
Old Jul 16, 2018, 8:56 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
I hate to sound obtuse, but it is fair to say there is more than a little contradictory info in this thread.

So let me ask a simple question: I had over 75 nights with Marriott last year. I am close to 75 nights this year. Is there any benefit to my moving some stays to Marriott in order to hit the 75 nights before Aug. 1st?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.