Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Use Marriott gift card in Starwood hotels soon?

Old Jan 28, 2019, 11:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by margarita girl

That is incorrect. My experience with gift cards is they use the XE rate, or something similar to convert. It is not the cash exchange rate that the front desk gives you.

My gift cards are in USD and I used one of them at Courtyard YYZ and the exchange rate was spot on.
This is great info, if GCs can be used at XE (or similar rate), that's a great deal. Thanks for the info.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by beachmiles
The following Marriott Hotel Brands DO NOT accept Marriott or The Ritz-Carlton GiftCards: Protea Hotels by Marriott®, St. Regis®, The Luxury Collection®, W®, Westin®, Le Méridien®, Sheraton®, Tribute Portfolio™, Four Points® by Sheraton, Aloft®, Element®, Design Hotels™

This information is not displayed on the Ultimate Rewards gift card order site.

Ugh. Thanks for that information. Guess that strategy won't work (unless I want to stay at a Marriott hotel).
beachmiles likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 9:15 pm

That is incorrect. My experience with gift cards is they use the XE rate, or something similar to convert. It is not the cash exchange rate that the front desk gives you.

My gift cards are in USD and I used one of them at Courtyard YYZ and the exchange rate was spot on.
Thanks for the info here, as I was wondering how this would work. I assume you tell the desk to bill in local currency, or maybe that is not a necessity. I wanted to use this at the Sheraton in Port Douglas and will still hope it changes before March.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joeags
Thanks for the info here, as I was wondering how this would work. I assume you tell the desk to bill in local currency, or maybe that is not a necessity. I wanted to use this at the Sheraton in Port Douglas and will still hope it changes before March.
Not a necessity. I think when they swipe the card, it’s automatically identified as USD.

Please post if it changes as I won’t be down under until April.

What I found particularly irksome the last time I went was they charged more for the SPG branded card (Amex) than MC or Visa. I know Amex has higher merchant fees, but come on, it’s your card. You should eat the difference.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 2:46 pm

Using Marriott Gift Card at SPG Hotel

Can Marriott gift cards now be used at SPG hotels? SPG CS said it has been possible since January 16th of this year; Marriott CS told me it's not possible yet.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:36 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Officially it's not possible, and I would be surprised if SPG properties had been trained on how to process them. I think there is no technical limitation because everyone is now migrated to the same system. Marriott will also tell you in their T&Cs that points advance doesn't work at SPG brands even though it does now.

I assume Marriott at some point will announce that it's possible, with it actually having been technically possible for months prior.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's been some recent discussion (2 days ago) here.

Old Feb 9, 2019, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I hope they do by April. Planning to stay at Sheraton Sydney and was thinking gift cards would be a good way to avoid credit card fees!
I am not sure it would help to avoid the credit card fee IF the gift card is processing thru the same Visa network. My understanding is, they are processed thru the Visa network - it is not like Marriott or any retailers, create their own processing network on their gift cards - they all use Visa network for the most part.

Case in point, here some gas stations have credit card prices higher than cash prices. Using the brand's gift card would not help, I was told, as the gift card is processed like a credit card.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 3:14 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Looks like the answer is yes. Further discussion can go in the Marriott Gift Cards Can Now Be Used at All SPG Hotels thread.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.