Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Marriott Award rates released

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2018, 5:44 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by holocker
What would be the latest that you can book to stay in one of the new cat 8 hotels at the Cat 7 rate? Has Marriott given a definite date when the new Cat 8 will come into effect?
Through the end of the calendar on the last day before the new system goes into effect. If that date is August 1, you should be able to book for mid-July of 2019 on July 31, 2018. If you book today, you will be able to book a room that checks out as late as June 16, 2019.

None of us know when the last day will be to book at the old rates, but you should be safe through July 31, given the announced August start. This does not, however, mean that you will find awards availability at your chosen hotel.

Last edited by lexdevil; Jun 30, 2018 at 5:56 pm
Old Jun 30, 2018, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by aaupgrade
I haven't read this morning's posts so am not sure if this has been shared yet, if so my apologies if it has. Huge Travel Package devaluation and only 50K and 100K options. Using peak redemption amounts, the points to miles is no longer 1 to 1, but 1.5 points to 1 mile. See attachment.

It has been answered. EXPLORE REDEMPTION OPTIONS

POINTS ADVANCE

Book a redemption stay even if you don’t have enough points. Reserve your dream vacation today. As long as you earn or purchase the needed points at least 14 days prior to check-in, you’re good to go.

A lot of answers to questions asked in this and other threads can be found at this link or the links found on the web page to which this link takes you: EXPLORE REDEMPTION OPTIONS
Thanks. I had missed this!
Old Jul 1, 2018, 1:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
has Marriott said anything about when they are starting the Category 8?
Old Jul 1, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by holocker
has Marriott said anything about when they are starting the Category 8?
From the release, a footnote:
An eighth category will be added in early 2019. Until then, Category 8 hotels will be available at Category 7 pricing.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 6:31 am

Programs: UA, Marriott, SPG, Hyatt, Hilton, Omni
Not sure if this has been answered before but for Marriott Chase credit card holders who have an annual 1 night cat 1-5 hotel certificate, once the conversion occurs in August, do we know how many points will these (category 1-5) certs convert to? I didn't see it specified on the Marriott website.

Members may book a redemption reservation with an existing Free Night Certificate under the current terms up until August 2018, even if the arrival date is after August 2018. Starting in August, any outstanding Certificates will be updated from Category-based to points-based values in the new combined redemption chart and may be used for stays at Rewards or SPG hotels up to the points value displayed on your updated Certificate. For example, you will be able to apply a Marriott Rewards Free Night Certificate to an SPG stay, or an SPG Free Night Award to a Marriott Rewards stay. Ritz-Carlton Rewards Free Night Certificates can also be applied to Marriott Rewards and SPG hotels.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 7:42 am

Programs: United 1K, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Deleted per Marriott request!

Last edited by OU812; Jul 2, 2018 at 9:11 am
Old Jul 2, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Members may book a redemption reservation with an existing Free Night Certificate under the current terms up until August 2018, even if the arrival date is after August 2018. Starting in August, any outstanding Certificates will be updated from Category-based to points-based values in the new combined redemption chart and may be used for stays at Rewards or SPG hotels up to the points value displayed on your updated Certificate. For example, you will be able to apply a Marriott Rewards Free Night Certificate to an SPG stay, or an SPG Free Night Award to a Marriott Rewards stay. Ritz-Carlton Rewards Free Night Certificates can also be applied to Marriott Rewards and SPG hotels

I was wondering if this will also apply to outstanding certificates that were bought as part of travel packages?
Old Jul 2, 2018, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
This is really going to be a big kick in the pants once we find out just how widespread the 'peak' rates are.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 12:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by rylan
This is really going to be a big kick in the pants once we find out just how widespread the 'peak' rates are.
My bet is more widespread than off-peak.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 1:53 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by rylan
My bet is that it won’t be nearly as bad as everyone fears and not particularly different than the current peak/off-peak award rates through SPG.

Just like every other major fear that people have had for this new Marriott program that yet again turns out to be nothing more than typical fearmongering.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 3:09 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by lexdevil
Though 2 Marriott points per dollar of spend is a poor return compared to earnings on other cards. A 2% cash back card would be better. I only put Marriott spend on my Marriott card.
For the most part, yes. I've seen some people get pretty incredible value for points through Marriott, however. YMMV.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
My bet is more widespread than off-peak.
If you are suggesting that peak will be 50.01% / 183 days or greater, I disagree and would take that bet any day
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by hudsonlaluna
Not sure if this has been answered before but for Marriott Chase credit card holders who have an annual 1 night cat 1-5 hotel certificate, once the conversion occurs in August, do we know how many points will these (category 1-5) certs convert to? I didn't see it specified on the Marriott website.

Members may book a redemption reservation with an existing Free Night Certificate under the current terms up until August 2018, even if the arrival date is after August 2018. Starting in August, any outstanding Certificates will be updated from Category-based to points-based values in the new combined redemption chart and may be used for stays at Rewards or SPG hotels up to the points value displayed on your updated Certificate. For example, you will be able to apply a Marriott Rewards Free Night Certificate to an SPG stay, or an SPG Free Night Award to a Marriott Rewards stay. Ritz-Carlton Rewards Free Night Certificates can also be applied to Marriott Rewards and SPG hotels.
Can use for properties up to and including 35K pts. It's printed somewhere.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 4:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
If you are suggesting that peak will be 50.01% / 183 days or greater, I disagree and would take that bet any day
Somewhere deep in one of these threads was a reference to the fact that hotels would be allowed to declare up to half of the year as "peak." If so, that's rather ridiculous: this is an area where SPG would have likely been much more judicious than Marriott. I base this partly on how the two have historically designated "special events" that allow properties to cheat program rules. At SPG, it was minimal. At Marriott, it was not.

Hotels that are in places that are almost always high demand for award users - Hawaii, London, etc. - already account for that by the relative quality of what you get for a given category.

I hope I'm wrong, and Marriott holds hotels to only invoking "peak" on their most high-demand weeks each year. But I'm not optimistic. If the East Podunk Fairfield Inn has six months of "peak" season, then we've all been hit with a not-so-stealthy devaluation.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 7:07 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by OU812
Deleted per Marriott request!
LOL. At least we know someone is reading this BB.

Originally Posted by pinniped
Somewhere deep in one of these threads was a reference to the fact that hotels would be allowed to declare up to half of the year as "peak." If so, that's rather ridiculous: this is an area where SPG would have likely been much more judicious than Marriott. I base this partly on how the two have historically designated "special events" that allow properties to cheat program rules. At SPG, it was minimal. At Marriott, it was not.
My understanding, and I have no written reference to back me up, was that each hotel could only have as many peak nights as off peak nights. 100 peak nights, 100 discount nights. If Marriott is going to allow hotels to have 183 peak nights and no discount nights, then I expect we are about to see even more shenanigans from the franchisees than we already see.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.