FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   TV placement...In rooms & Streaming on TV (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1916511-tv-placement-rooms-streaming-tv.html)

randys1 Jun 26, 2018 10:09 am

TV placement...In rooms & Streaming on TV

Hi, the only time I have been in a Marriott property that I know of was probably a Courtyard and my memory is wherever I was the TV was off to the side so that you cant watch TV from bed without putting yourself in an uncomfortable position.

Which properties do they put the TV off to the side so that you cant lay in bed, look straight ahead and watch TV? This design baffles me, by the way.

Maybe I am the only one who lays in bed at night and watches TV. Maybe generational changes most people use tablets or phones in bed, but I use the TV as I hook up my own blu-ray player AND Roku.

So which Marriott properties do NOT have the TV in the only sane place to put a TV in hotel room, at the foot of the bed as in NOT at an angle? And can I use my ROKU or Apple TV and stream?
Thanks...

jrsinpdx Jun 26, 2018 10:38 am

My solution at CY is to book a room with 2 queen beds. What you describe is usually in rooms with king beds.

randys1 Jun 26, 2018 10:39 am

Originally Posted by jrsinpdx (Post 29908634)
My solution at CY is to book a room with 2 queen beds. What you describe is usually in rooms with king beds.

Good to know, thanks.

Streaming?

To stream I need access to the HDMI input as well as the ability to change the TV input.

sdix Jun 26, 2018 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by randys1 (Post 29908641)
Good to know, thanks.

Streaming?

To stream I need access to the HDMI input as well as the ability to change the TV input.

Usually this is not an issue. Most hotels you can get to the HDMI and the remote allows you to change.

Bigger issue is how to log onto the internet through your device?

I am seeing more and more properties with Hulu and Netflix integration. To me this is a great innovation.

randys1 Jun 26, 2018 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by sdix (Post 29909597)
Usually this is not an issue. Most hotels you can get to the HDMI and the remote allows you to change.

Bigger issue is how to log onto the internet through your device?

I am seeing more and more properties with Hulu and Netflix integration. To me this is a great innovation.

Two ways, one is a program I have on my laptop called "connectify" it uses the hotel wifi to create a hotspot and in every case you can log on that way you just have to keep the laptop running the entire time...

Or, Roku now will usually allow you to use your smartphone to do the same thing but once on you dont need the phone anymore. Cant explain it but when you turn on the Roku attached to the TV it does it for you.

kennycrudup Jun 26, 2018 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by randys1 (Post 29908501)
Which properties do they put the TV off to the side so that you cant lay in bed, look straight ahead and watch TV?

This actually varies by room, not by property. I've been in CY, FS and FI that have had both setups in the same hotel (one property I'd frequently stayed in I'd remembered the rooms that had the TV at 90 deg and asked for a reassignment at checkin if that's where they'd put me) .

NDDomer86 Jun 26, 2018 3:40 pm

If the television will not allow you to change the inputs, check the connections in the back to see if there is an RJ cable plugged into the tv (will look like a telephone cord). If there is, unplug this cable at one end and then you should be able to manually change the inputs using buttons on the television (not the remote). You will have to remember to plug it back in though to be able to use the remote.

Most of the newer systems allow you to change the input though via the remote.

kennycrudup Jun 26, 2018 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by randys1 (Post 29908501)
And can I use my ROKU or Apple TV and stream?

That depends on the property, too- some of them randomly have the inputs locked out, even if you use the "gray cable unplug trick". (Thankfully MI has LG sets in 95% of the rooms, so I bought an installer remote which removes that issue for me :))