Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

When will Ambassador benefits kick in for people from the Marriott side?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2018, 1:06 pm
mab
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 2Million, Marriott PP & LTPP, Amtrak Select Exec

I'm currently a Marriott Platinum Premier (the double-secret probation level, not the new published level), who last year (2017) definitely stayed > 100 nights with > $20K spend. I was *not*, however, in the pilot Marriott invite-only ambassador program. This year I'll hit 100 nights sometime around late August or early September, and $20K spend around the same time (depending on precisely how it's calculated).

So, assuming the new combined program takes effect August 1st as scheduled, can I expect to immediately get assigned an ambassador and get the Your24 benefit based on last year's activity, or do I have to wait until a month or two later when I qualify based on this year's activity? I understand that current Ambassador members in Starwood or Marriott keep their Ambassadors, but that's not my situation.

Apologies if this has been answered already; I searched and didn't see any discussion of this, and the MR site is silent about this as far as I can tell.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 1:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm in a similar situation: already 100+ nights and no one can tell me my spend to date or even how spend will be counted so that I can estimate it myself.

I've been trying to get some answers, including about when I'll be assigned an Ambassador, and if anyone knows anything, they aren't revealing it. After spending hours on the phone and waiting a long time, I finally got an extremely noncommittal email from a MR elite supervisor saying that things will be announced later.

I also got stiffed on the Ambassador experiment and I responded by voting with my feet and shifting 100+ nights to Hyatt, where I've been treated very well and have had a Private Line Agent > My Hyatt Concierge for almost a decade.
calrick likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 1:46 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Obviously, until Marriott announces the specific August start date for the new loyalty program and what the specific spend criteria will be, we won’t know for sure.

I think it’s fairly reasonable to assume, however, that once the new loyalty program starts, anyone with a combined 100 nights in 2018 between Marriott and SPG hotels and the $20K spend will immediately be eligible for an Ambassador. The assignment of said Ambassador may take up to a couple weeks, though—as has been true even with SPG.

For anyone one who reaches 100 nights in 2018 entirely with legacy SPG hotels, they will immediately be eligible for an Ambassador, too. (They won’t need to hit the $20K spend this year if they reach 100 nights under the current SPG parameters.)

For everyone complaining about the delay in notification about the spending parameters to reach $20K, I’d say you should consider that you’re pretty fortunate and lucky that Marriott decided to start the new loyalty program in August—else you’d have no chance to earn Ambassador status until you hit 100 nights and $20K spend in 2019! This (slight) delay in information may bother you, but Marriott could have bothered you far more by not even giving you a shot at an Ambassador for the rest of 2018 and probably the first half of 2019. So any delay that causes you to feel impatient now is more than worth it for the fact that you have a chance to earn Ambassador status a lot earlier than otherwise might have been true. So I’d say suck it up and realize you’re still winning.

Last edited by bhrubin; Jun 16, 2018 at 1:52 pm
Old Jun 16, 2018, 1:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Obviously, until Marriott announces the specific August start date for the new loyalty program and what the specific spend criteria will be, we won’t know for sure.

I think it’s fairly reasonable to assume, however, that once the new loyalty program starts, anyone with a combined 100 nights in 2018 between Marriott and SPG hotels and the $20K spend will immediately be eligible for an Ambassador. The assignment of said Ambassador may take up to a couple weeks, though—as has been true even with SPG.

For anyone one who reaches 100 nights in 2018 entirely with legacy SPG hotels, they will immediately be eligible for an Ambassador, too. (They won’t need to hit the $20K spend this year if they reach 100 nights under the current SPG parameters.)

For everyone complaining about the delay in notification about the spending parameters to reach $20K, I’d say you should consider that you’re pretty fortunate and lucky that Marriott decided to start the new loyalty program in August—else you’d have no chance to earn Ambassador status until you hit 100 nights and $20K spend in 2019! This (slight) delay in information may bother you, but Marriott could have bothered you far more by not even giving you a shot at an Ambassador for the rest of 2018 and probably the first half of 2019. So any delay that causes you to feel impatient now is more than worth it for the fact that you have a chance to earn Ambassador status a lot earlier than otherwise might have been true. So I’d say suck it up and realize you’re still winning.
Sorry but I don't think it's obvious at all, nor am I willing assume that Starriott will be reasonable on this. If they haven't yet decided how spend will be defined/calculated, I'm not at all sure that they will know in August who has or has not qualified except for those with 100+ SPG-only nights.

I also want to say that I consider it extremely unfair that someone with 100 Starwood nights, regardless of spend, is immediately assigned an Ambassador while those on the MR side are not, plus we are subject to the yet-to-be-clarified $20,000 revenue requirement.
Segments likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 2:10 pm
mab
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 2Million, Marriott PP & LTPP, Amtrak Select Exec
Originally Posted by bhrubin

So, in other words, you have no idea whether my previous year's activity counts (which was my question), but you're sure that whatever the answer is, I should count myself as very fortunate.

I agree that I'm very fortunate, but I don't really think Marriott has anything to do with my good fortune.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 2:16 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I also want to say that I consider it extremely unfair that someone with 100 Starwood nights, regardless of spend, is immediately assigned an Ambassador while those on the MR side are not, plus we are subject to the yet-to-be-clarified $20,000 revenue requirement.
Unfair? Hardly.

Anyone with Marriott 100+ nights before the Starwood acquisition will be doing vastly better with benefits once the new loyalty program begins--regardless of the Ambassador benefit.

Starwood members deserve the benefits for the SPG program they chose. Starwood people with 100+ nights chose to stay with Starwood and get to reap the benefits for Starwood. It's also a lot harder to accumulate 100 nights with the smaller SPG portfolio. Yes, even with the 3 nights earning possible for 3 rooms, especially with the 10 nights earned from a simple meeting at any Marriott!

Marriott members deserve the benefits for the MR/RC program they chose. Marriott people with 100+ nights chose to stay with Marriott and get to reap the benefits for Marriott as is! You get to enjoy the Starwood perk of an Ambassador once the new loyalty program begins.

There's nothing unfair about that whatsoever. In fact, you win in that Marriott is starting the new program in August--which gives you the chance to get the SPG Ambassador product that you had no chance to get otherwise until 2019.

I also got stiffed on the Ambassador experiment and I responded by voting with my feet and shifting 100+ nights to Hyatt, where I've been treated very well and have had a Private Line Agent > My Hyatt Concierge for almost a decade.
You above complained about how you didn't get the Marriott version of an Ambassador and are so happy with your Hyatt Concierge. You chose to stay with Hyatt instead of Starwood or Marriott. So enjoy what you chose. If that Hyatt Concierge was so amazing, it's hard to understand why you're so upset you didn't get and can't yet get the Marriott Ambassador any sooner.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 2:25 pm

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
[

You above complained about how you didn't get the Marriott version of an Ambassador and are so happy with your Hyatt Concierge. You chose to stay with Hyatt instead of Starwood or Marriott. So enjoy what you chose. If that Hyatt Concierge was so amazing, it's hard to understand why you're so upset you didn't get and can't yet get the Marriott Ambassador any sooner.[/QUOTE]

I really enjoy MSP Economist and have always found her insight and guidance spot on. Maybe she has an issue with the Hyatt footprint. That's why i have been loyal to Marriott over SPG and Hyatt in the past. Marriott has properties wherever i need to be, not matter how remote the location is most cases.
C17PSGR and jeanie like this.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 2:34 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Ryno1234
I really enjoy MSP Economist and have always found her insight and guidance spot on. Maybe she has an issue with the Hyatt footprint. That's why i have been loyal to Marriott over SPG and Hyatt in the past. Marriott has properties wherever i need to be, not matter how remote the location is most cases.
I enjoy MSPeconomist, as well, but I don't agree here.

Marriott has a much bigger portfolio and no proper Ambassador benefit unless they invite you. Starwood has a smaller portfolio with proper Ambassador benefit if you earn it by the published standard. Hyatt has an even smaller portfolio with a Concierge benefit if you earn it by the published standard.

Everyone has a choice. If one chooses to stay with the Marriott or Hyatt portfolio and then complain about not getting SPG benefits one knows were available, I call that disingenuous and a form of entitlement. It isn't unfair at all.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
It's the compromise that Marriott came up with since they didn't announce the new plan until partway through the year

Of course, it's also totally not fair that I can't spend my way to nights via the credit card...boo hoo for me.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 5:01 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
It's the compromise that Marriott came up with since they didn't announce the new plan until partway through the year

Of course, it's also totally not fair that I can't spend my way to nights via the credit card...boo hoo for me.
Why can't you get a Marriott credit card and spend your way to nights? As long as you don't mind earning 1/3 of what a Starwood card earns on general spending, you can generate one elite night for each $3,000 in spending on a Marriott card. Based on recent valuations, it would cost you about 1 1/2 cents per dollar or $45 per elite night.

I would rather have the additional 6,000 MR points or 2,000 SPG points that I get by using my Starwood card instead of my Marriott card for each $3,000 spent. There are some decent SPG Cat 1 hotels in SE Asia that can be booked on weekends for 2,000 points which would give you one elite night in an actual room.

Because of the earning differential, I put most of my unbonused spending on my SPG card and almost none on my Marriot card. After what is referred to on the Starwood forum as a massive devaluation, my Starwood card will spend most of its time in my desk drawer along with my Marriott card.

Last edited by rny321; Jun 16, 2018 at 5:35 pm
Old Jun 16, 2018, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rny321
Why can't you get a Marriott credit card and spend your way to nights? As long as you don't mind earning 1/3 of what a Starwood card earns on general spending, you can generate one elite night for each $3,000 in spending on a Marriott card. Based on recent valuations, it would cost you about 1 1/2 cents per dollar or $45 per elite night.

I would rather have the additional 6,000 MR points or 2,000 SPG points that I get by using my Starwood card instead of my Marriott card for each $3,000 spent. There are some decent SPG Cat 1 hotels in SE Asia that can be booked on weekends for 2,000 points which would give you one elite night in an actual room.

Because of the earning differential, I put most of my unbonused spending on my SPG card and almost none on my Marriot card. After what is referred to on the Starwood forum as a massive devaluation, my Starwood card will spend most of its time in my desk drawer along with my Marriott card.
you can’t get that card and get 2018 nights anymore
Old Jun 16, 2018, 7:38 pm

you can’t get that card and get 2018 nights anymore

You could until a short time ago. Nothing, other than poor earnings, prevented you from getting a Marriott card and shifting spending away from Starwood or other cards. IMO people who put significant spending on a card that earns about 3/4 of a cent per dollar are paying a high price for each night of status.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I also want to say that I consider it extremely unfair that someone with 100 Starwood nights, regardless of spend, is immediately assigned an Ambassador while those on the MR side are not, plus we are subject to the yet-to-be-clarified $20,000 revenue requirement.[/left]
I don't find it unfair at all that members in the two different programs will be treated as defined in the two different programs, just as they've been treated for years, until the programs merge. Did you find them unfair three years ago, just on the general principal that the programs offer different benefits?
Old Jun 17, 2018, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rny321
You could until a short time ago. Nothing, other than poor earnings, prevented you from getting a Marriott card and shifting spending away from Starwood or other cards. IMO people who put significant spending on a card that earns about 3/4 of a cent per dollar are paying a high price for each night of status.
My post was very tongue in cheek, and was meant to highlight the fact that there are pros and cons to qualifications in both legacy programs for this year...Marriott brought this on itself by announcing the new rules partway through the year
Old Jun 17, 2018, 7:46 am

My post was very tongue in cheek, and was meant to highlight the fact that there are pros and cons to qualifications in both legacy programs for this year...Marriott brought this on itself by announcing the new rules partway through the year
Some posters highlight the unique ways that one can gain status in either Starwood or Marriott but neglect to mention that not everyone takes advantage of them. Until this year, I had never scheduled a meeting and probably never would have if I had another year of so to qualify for LTPP. As I said before, I have rarely used a MR personal or business credit card. Unlike some posters who travel primarily for business, I frequently book multiple rooms and stay in cities which have roughly equal opportunities to stay in either a Marriott or Starwood hotel. I had a lot of rewards nights, which MR only started counting after the merger. I realize that I'm the exception on FT, but I probably could have earned legacy LT platinum more easily with Starwood than with Marriott.

Although I will have over 100 nights in MR this year, it doesn't bother me that I probably won't get an Ambassador. In contrast, I am annoyed that Marriott made mid-year changes and hasn't provided enough details about what activity qualifies for status.

Last edited by rny321; Jun 17, 2018 at 7:52 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.