Suggestion on Making Up 50 Nights

Old Jun 15, 18, 3:19 pm
Original Poster
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Delta PM, National Executive Elite, Avis First, Starwood Lifetime Platinum
Suggestion on Making Up 50 Nights

Hello all - So, I'm an SPG member being converted over to Marriott. I have already earned Lifetime Platinum Elite. Today I received an email telling me that if I stay 750 nights by year end, I'll be aware Lifetime Platinum PREMIERE Elite. Right now I have 700 nights in my account. So.....I'll probably spend about 10 nights for work at one of their properties. Anyone have a suggestion on how I could grab 40 nights without breaking my bank? I thought about calling up a local Marriott or Starwood hotel and seeing if they'll give me a "great rate" for a 40 night stay. On the flip side, I have no experience with Marriott and don't even know if the Premiere level of Platinum Elite is worth whatever I would spend to earn it by year end. Any tips? Advice?
Old Jun 15, 18, 3:37 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
See here for a way to manufacture 10 night per meeting economically, especially in greater ATL IIRC.

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

As for the worth, that's very subjective and IME, a Marriott property by property dependent delivered perk.

And as we enter a brave new merged world (and have a over-payed acquisition to pay for), I surmise cuts have got to be coming after the initial combination. But I am of the sky is falling camp...
Old Jun 15, 18, 3:38 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: No more airline loyalty for me: ex-TWA, ex-NWA, ex-DL - Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat Amb
Check out the thread on meetings:
10 nights credit for a "meeting".
Old Jun 15, 18, 4:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Do you really not have a single night at Marriott? Or is your 700 combining the two?

As mentioned, Marriott meetings are the way to do it most cost effectively. But count me amongst those who doesn't believe that Lifetime Plat Prem is going to be all that special.
Old Jun 15, 18, 4:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premiere (LTPP), UA Silver, National Executive
50 nights is a lot to make up. If you were a little closer, I’d suggest using rewards points for 5-night stays (5th night free) at category 1 or 2 level hotels. That’s what I did to get the last bit of nights to put me within 750. But 50 is a lot of ground to cover that way. Just an idea though.
Old Jun 15, 18, 5:37 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Look at the perks of Platinum Premier elite and decide whether it's worth the investment.
Keep in mind that you still have to stay 50-75 nights for Suite Night Awards.. they don't show up just because you have the lifetime status.
Old Jun 16, 18, 1:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by AtlantaX View Post
Hello all - So, I'm an SPG member being converted over to Marriott. I have already earned Lifetime Platinum Elite. Today I received an email telling me that if I stay 750 nights by year end, I'll be aware Lifetime Platinum PREMIERE Elite. Right now I have 700 nights in my account. So.....I'll probably spend about 10 nights for work at one of their properties. Anyone have a suggestion on how I could grab 40 nights without breaking my bank? I thought about calling up a local Marriott or Starwood hotel and seeing if they'll give me a "great rate" for a 40 night stay. On the flip side, I have no experience with Marriott and don't even know if the Premiere level of Platinum Elite is worth whatever I would spend to earn it by year end. Any tips? Advice?
There are some Marriott properties that do give discounted rates for stays over 30 days. I've happened upon a couple of these by accident when I was exploring hotels on the Marriott website and without any apparent pattern. The rates are a bit cheaper than almost all other rate plans, but it's not an enormous discount, at least for the ones I've looked at. For longer stays, you can also try to negotiate with the hotel.
Old Jun 16, 18, 10:24 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum Premier, UA Silver, RR A-List
It's worth the $200 investment for LTPP. Have meetings as described above.
Old Jun 16, 18, 1:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by kerrigjl View Post
How do you know this?
Old Jun 16, 18, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joshua362 View Post
See here for a way to manufacture 10 night per meeting economically, especially in greater ATL IIRC.

As for the worth, that's very subjective and IME, a Marriott property by property dependent delivered perk.

And as we enter a brave new merged world (and have a over-payed acquisition to pay for), I surmise cuts have got to be coming after the initial combination. But I am of the sky is falling camp...
Originally Posted by LostInAmerica View Post
Check out the thread on meetings:
10 nights credit for a "meeting".
Just be aware you may need to do any such meetings before August!

That's because there's a strong rumor that starting in August, you will only earn 10 nights for one meeting a year, and just 1 night for any other meeting that same year.
Old Jun 16, 18, 7:40 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by kerrigjl View Post
I'd spend just $200 for it just to be ahead of a pecking order for potential upgrades. But that is going to require some work, maybe very quickly. I much fear that going to a SNA model, denying upgrades without one may become the norm.
Old Jun 16, 18, 8:49 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Hyatt Whateverist, Starwood LTP, Marriot Platinum (SPG merge)
Originally Posted by joshua362 View Post

Old Jun 17, 18, 7:12 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Hyatt Whateverist, Starwood LTP, Marriot Platinum (SPG merge)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
How do you know this?

What value, if any, do you put on it?