Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Stay at Starwood in September - how to get points and status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2018, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.

I am looking for a hotel for a stay in September, and the best rates and locations are at Starwood properties. I don't have a Starwood number. I do want to get the points, and by that time I'll be LTP (new program), so I'd like the benefits.

A couple of questions:

1) Is there a way to put an MR number on a Starwood reservation now?

2) If there isn't, what are my options?

I've thought of the following:
a) Make the reservation, wait until the program merge in August, and then add my number to the reservation after the merge.
b) Get a Starwoods number and then link the accounts.

I'm leaning towards a), as it seems the easier option.

Happy to hear any other suggestions.

Thanks!
Old Jun 8, 2018, 9:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
When in September? As of now, Starriott doesn't seem willing to commit regarding when in August the merge will occur and the new combined program will actually start If we extrapolate from all of the delayed openings of new hotels...........or look at the current Marriott mess with their phone lines and website........
Old Jun 8, 2018, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by GregWTravels
I am looking for a hotel for a stay in September, and the best rates and locations are at Starwood properties. I don't have a Starwood number. I do want to get the points, and by that time I'll be LTP (new program), so I'd like the benefits.

A couple of questions:

1) Is there a way to put an MR number on a Starwood reservation now?
Not that I'm aware of. The programs are separate so, other than possibly having a lookup tool for the other program, SPG has no knowledge of MR accounts.

2) If there isn't, what are my options?

I've thought of the following:
a) Make the reservation, wait until the program merge in August, and then add my number to the reservation after the merge.
This would work, but see next answer
b) Get a Starwoods number and then link the accounts.
This would be best in my view. Since you are about to make LTP (with MR presumably), once your MR account is linked with your SPG account you will have some level of status now. So, should the merge be delayed you are already in the system with status. Then, when you merge your accounts, your existing reservation should get upgraded at that time. No extra exposure/cost to you.

I'm leaning towards a), as it seems the easier option.

Happy to hear any other suggestions.

Thanks!
bluestrudels likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 12:52 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Not that I'm aware of. The programs are separate so, other than possibly having a lookup tool for the other program, SPG has no knowledge of MR accounts.This would work, but see next answerThis would be best in my view. Since you are about to make LTP (with MR presumably), once your MR account is linked with your SPG account you will have some level of status now. So, should the merge be delayed you are already in the system with status. Then, when you merge your accounts, your existing reservation should get upgraded at that time. No extra exposure/cost to you.
RogerD made a good point. Your best bet is to link your account now for a status match - they happen almost instantaneously or if not 1-2 business days.
Secure your rates and booking in SGP with your new matched plat status, and when the merge happens, update you account info accordingly.
That way you won't lose out on any perks in your scheduled booking.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA MM (recovering former 1K), Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by bluestrudels
RogerD made a good point. Your best bet is to link your account now for a status match - they happen almost instantaneously or if not 1-2 business days.
Secure your rates and booking in SGP with your new matched plat status, and when the merge happens, update you account info accordingly.
That way you won't lose out on any perks in your scheduled booking.
Could not agree more. 1) There's no way to know when they'll actually go live. 2) There's even less (less than no way?) of a chance of figuring out when the merged program/website will actually be functional and stable.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 9:32 pm
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Your best option is to create a Starwood Preferred Guest account and then link your accounts. This will automatically match you to SPG Platinum (assuming that you are currently Platinum with Marriott) and then you can proceed to make the reservation under your Starwood account.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 10:18 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Funny I spoke to a Rep at Marriott about upcoming training for the merger...I asked him 7 questions about the integration and all of his answers were "we don't have any info on that yet"...
Old Jun 19, 2018, 3:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
OP here - in the end a more conveniently located Marriott came up at a lower price so the question became moot.

Thanks for all your answers. Hopefully someone else can profit from the advice.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 8:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by NDDomer86
Your best option is to create a Starwood Preferred Guest account and then link your accounts. This will automatically match you to SPG Platinum (assuming that you are currently Platinum with Marriott) and then you can proceed to make the reservation under your Starwood account.
This. Definitely the lowest-risk option.

I have a Starwood stay set for August 10th. I should move up from MR Gold to MR Lifetime Plat on July 25th (give or take a day or two) and then to LT Plat Premier on August 1st. So yeah, I'm sure hoping that the hotel sees me as something other than a Starwood Gold on August 10th!! I assume that even if the LTPP part is delayed, the Starwood side would show me as SPG Plat due to Marriott Plat? Wonder how long that part takes to update in a purely pre-merger sense.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 10:32 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
It makes sense to consider that there could still be two distinct programs for some stays during August.

I'm not aware that Marriott has published the actual date for the August changeover. Many here on this forum have made the assumption that it will be August 1. However, by consistently referring to August instead of August 1, Marriott seems to be giving itself wiggle room to combine the programs later in the month if Marriott needs more time.

For the most part, the Marriott Members ("One Program / Endless Inspiration") website does a good job explaining what will happen in August. And it's more complete now than it was in April. The worst ambiguities have been addressed.

I don't understand why some folks at this forum think it will be better to hold off combining their SPG and Rewards accounts. According to the website, "Individual program names will stay the same until 2019, but we'll consolidate everything else into one set of benefits to give you easier access and more opportunities." Based on the Marriott Members website, it seems that members who do not combine their accounts will have just have two accounts in the new loyalty program, each with the same rules for earning and redeeming, even if Marriott still uses the old program names.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by GregWTravels
OP here - in the end a more conveniently located Marriott came up at a lower price so the question became moot.

Thanks for all your answers. Hopefully someone else can profit from the advice.
SPG has member only rates so it might be worth looking again if price beats location. Another advantage to opening an SPG account.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Horace
It makes sense to consider that there could still be two distinct programs for some stays during August.

I'm not aware that Marriott has published the actual date for the August changeover. Many here on this forum have made the assumption that it will be August 1. However, by consistently referring to August instead of August 1, Marriott seems to be giving itself wiggle room to combine the programs later in the month if Marriott needs more time.

For the most part, the Marriott Members ("One Program / Endless Inspiration") website does a good job explaining what will happen in August. And it's more complete now than it was in April. The worst ambiguities have been addressed.

I don't understand why some folks at this forum think it will be better to hold off combining their SPG and Rewards accounts. According to the website, "Individual program names will stay the same until 2019, but we'll consolidate everything else into one set of benefits to give you easier access and more opportunities." Based on the Marriott Members website, it seems that members who do not combine their accounts will have just have two accounts in the new loyalty program, each with the same rules for earning and redeeming, even if Marriott still uses the old program names.
Personally, I see there being trouble with the new system properly tracking legacy status progress along with the merged program progress. Some of us may want to stay on the legacy track past August to get LT status and then roll into the new program. It just isn't reasonable to expect them to build the new system with all the rules of the soon-to-be obsolete system. Only by reading what they release will tell for sure, all other statements (including my own) are opinions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.