Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Denied Lounge Access Based on Room Rate

Denied Lounge Access Based on Room Rate

Old Jun 8, 2018, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Rate details can be negotiated that includes just about anything, plus or minus. Some convention rates may include a lower rate for not including MR benefits just like I've seen some corporate rates that include local transportation to/from company facilities. As long as the terms are properly disclosed as agreed upon then perfectly acceptable. And it looks like this was disclosed. Failure to read the rate details does not entitle the guest to the benefits regardless of status. Just like it's wise to compare rate details between AAA, AARP, Weekend, etc. rates to see which one provides the desired perks, it applies here too. Another gotcha with rate details is they can change without warning! Typically the systems use an index code to refer to the details. So when you book, let's say, a AAA rate, your booking record may use a code of X3 that is not visible to the user that points to the full text of the code. A future edit of that text will be what shows up if you go online to look at your reservation. This is why it is important to keep a copy of your confirmation (email or screen shot) until after the stay posts. Some have been caught by such changes and the online system only showed the latest revision.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 9:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by CPRich
OP, are you sure this is a corporate rate? Putting your corporate code in at marriott.com gives corporate rate, but also others. With the note in the screen shot of a special local rate, I'm not sure it could be both.
Could local mean only at this property, as opposed to a chain-wide corporate rate, so that the company negotiated it with the hotel itself?
Old Jun 8, 2018, 10:15 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Could local mean only at this property, as opposed to a chain-wide corporate rate, so that the company negotiated it with the hotel itself?
I don't think so. There is a rate code I used to check occasionally called LPR -- local promotional rate.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 11:02 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
There is language in the Rewards Terms & Conditions referring to an "eligible rate," so some rates can be excluded from earning points. ("A qualifying stay is any night stayed in the current calendar year at a participating hotel at an eligible rate including Marriott Reward Redemption stays and paid for by the member.")

Also, in such cases, a Platinum member would not receive points as an Arrival Gift -- but would still receive other benefits, including the F&B option at Autograph Collection and other brands that offer this. ("Members staying on non-eligible earning rates may choose the F&B option only, excluding The Ritz-Carlton, EDITION and Marriott Vacation Club which do not offer the F&B option.")

I don't see anything in the Rewards Terms & Conditions that allows a hotel to exclude a Gold Elite or Platinum Elite member from being eligible for other published elite benefits, regardless of rate. Perhaps I'm missing something.

That being said, the biggest problem here is that the hotel on Marriott.com apparently failed make it clear to the OP at the time of booking that there would be no Elite benefits when the rate options were displayed. The OP is Platinum Elite or Platinum Premier Elite and knows what to expect at an Autograph Collection property (and other Marriott full-service brands). When the rate options appeared, Marriott.com and the hotel had an obligation to make it abundantly clear that the rate would not earn points or provide Elite benefits. Such a material decision factor is not something that should have been hidden in fine print in the "rate details" or other non-obvious place. (How often do we carefully analyze the "rate details" link when we make a routine reservation online using rates for which we are eligible?)

Shame on THE PLAZA Seoul, Autograph Collection.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Last summer I had a AAA rate that was slightly higher because parking was included. However, when I arrived at the hotel, I discovered that parking was free for everyone that (weekend) day.
At the risk of hijacking the thread, I'm wondering if you brought it up with the staff? I would have at least mentioned it, though wouldn't have pushed it if they didn't respond with a counter offer.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 3:22 am

Programs: SPG
If I am not wrong, this is a special local rate hence it might be a rate negotiation by your corporate travel manager (fortune 50-100 tends to negotiate harder) where the points and benefits was exchanged for possibly a lower rate.

You and your colleagues could contact your Corporate travel manager to complain (such that they include this in the negotiation for the rate next year) and feedback to the hotel sales team (they want your business so they have to convince the GM to give the benefits)
Old Jun 9, 2018, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by dingjie
If I am not wrong, this is a special local rate hence it might be a rate negotiation by your corporate travel manager (fortune 50-100 tends to negotiate harder) where the points and benefits was exchanged for possibly a lower rate.

You and your colleagues could contact your Corporate travel manager to complain (such that they include this in the negotiation for the rate next year) and feedback to the hotel sales team (they want your business so they have to convince the GM to give the benefits)
It's difficult to change that as you said they negotiated hard for it. Mr.'s corporate travel policy is very strict and straightforward - you need to stay at the cheapest closest hotel you need to be, anything else will be violating corporate policy. He is working in a Scandinavian NMC, don't know if it's any fortune company. Their corporate travel agency was told to book HBO fare for all the employees and one of his went to the US and found out at the airport that he had to pay for check bags. He paid for it with his corporate card but it's not saving the company any $. I asked Mr. if he can tell Corp travel about it and he said even he did nothing is going to change.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 4:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott LT Titanium, '20 Ambassador
Although it says local rate, I used my traditional 3 letter corporate code on Marriott.com and the first word in the blurred images is the company name. Large Asian company with US subsidiaries.

I brought up the platinum arrival gift and lounge access with the manager on duty and she stated I was not entitled to either. Overall the hotel didn't impress me so I just checked out early and moved to the courtyard which is much better in my opinion.

Debating if this is worth some kind of follow up with Mariott corporate. Not sure how to do that either, any advice on if it's worthwhile?

At the least an important lesson in always reading the rate details on Marriott.com when booking.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 6:38 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by JonasCLT
Debating if this is worth some kind of follow up with Mariott corporate. Not sure how to do that either, any advice on if it's worthwhile?

At the least an important lesson in always reading the rate details on Marriott.com when booking.
Go to your corporate travel dept first. If they did negotiate something allowing the use of the local rate it is not your place to interfere. If they did not and the rate showed up they may fight the battle for you and they have a better, more important army. Or they may tell you it is okay for you to fight the battle. Given you used the corporate code I would not do anything without finding out if your corporation intended for you to lose the benefits.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 7:28 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's a good location, but IMO the Plaza is just an aging large ugly modern hotel and doesn't appear to be anything special, but I've only walked through the lobby and have never stayed there. However, my impression is that it focuses on Korean guests and is held in high regard by them. I was surprised when it affiliated with Marriott and I'm also somewhat surprised that it would have a corporate rate with a major international company.

Does the OP know whether the corporate rate predates the Marriott affiliation or is part of some larger Marriott corporate contract?
Old Jun 9, 2018, 3:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
It's a good location, but IMO the Plaza is just an aging large ugly modern hotel and doesn't appear to be anything special, but I've only walked through the lobby and have never stayed there. However, my impression is that it focuses on Korean guests and is held in high regard by them. I was surprised when it affiliated with Marriott and I'm also somewhat surprised that it would have a corporate rate with a major international company.

Does the OP know whether the corporate rate predates the Marriott affiliation or is part of some larger Marriott corporate contract?
They seem to have several corporate rates. I plugged in a few, curious to see if I could find something similar. The one Im required to use which is of a large company, has one but no mention of no lounge access.

I also plugged in IBM, which actually said upgrade to club lounge with breakfast through 6/30 (even though the dates I put in were later than that), not totally sure what that means.

The government/military option that is available on the app actually included a whole laundry list of benefits which varies depending on how long the stay was.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 6:23 pm

Interesting. I've never seen a government rate include a ticket to a tourist attraction.

On the random date I checked, the government rate was only available for club level rooms, and the normal club rate doesn't include all the extra stuff. I'm seeing the government rate as more expensive than the regular rate, and also more expensive than some club room rate, but the club room rate is the same as a suite rate without lounge access. Could it be that revenue management thinks rates should be lower than the government rate, but it doesn't want to charge less than the maximum normally allowed for the government rate (which seems to be a federal rate, perhaps only for USA???), so the property decided to add all the stuff? If I try a senior rate, it shows only the deluxe room, which might be their standard room while the AAA rate shows
deluxe rooms, club rooms, suites with and without club access, etc. In fact, I see a lot of suite types at this property, including a royal plaza suite (=presidential, I suspect) that's offered at a AAA rate of under $2500 per night.

Te room pictures look uncomfortably modern with lots of pink and white plastic and IMO not attractive. I wonder whether they look better in person.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 8:49 pm

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by GoPhils

They seem to have several corporate rates. I plugged in a few, curious to see if I could find something similar. The one Im required to use which is of a large company, has one but no mention of no lounge access.

I also plugged in IBM, which actually said upgrade to club lounge with breakfast through 6/30 (even though the dates I put in were later than that), not totally sure what that means.

The government/military option that is available on the app actually included a whole laundry list of benefits which varies depending on how long the stay was.
The hotel could be trying to drive ibm bookings by listing the perk in the rates as it will show up in the portal too.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 2:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; UA 1K; Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by imverge
I think The OP needs to contact Marriott corporate HQ for clarity about this regardless if it was listed in the T&C. I had something similar happen to me at AC Hotel Barcelona and when I contacted corporate they contacted the hotel and in the end, Marriott HQ coordinated the delivery of the elite benefit that I was entitled too.

Some hotels think they can get away with not providing benefits by adding a disclaimer without Marriott catching wind of it.
Interesting that Marriott Corporate doesn't know their own brand policies. I stayed at an AC hotel recently and didn't get breakfast and when I questioned it, I learned that AC is different than Autograph Collection, and benefits are different (including no breakfast at AC hotels vs. breakfast at Autograph Collection hotels). I cannot believe someone at Marriott actually thought it was a good idea to have two different brands that were not related with one being AC and one being Autograph Collection.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 2:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by mindrisa
Interesting that Marriott Corporate doesn't know their own brand policies. I stayed at an AC hotel recently and didn't get breakfast and when I questioned it, I learned that AC is different than Autograph Collection, and benefits are different (including no breakfast at AC hotels vs. breakfast at Autograph Collection hotels). I cannot believe someone at Marriott actually thought it was a good idea to have two different brands that were not related with one being AC and one being Autograph Collection.
I agree but ... Marriott bought AC Hotels, which was a Spanish hotel company. Basically, AC Hotels is a more trendy version of a CY mid-service property. Before buying AC Hotels and deciding to expand the brand, they already had Autograph Collection so the AC can be confusing. Autograph Collection is supposed to be a rough equivalent of Marriott/Ren brands. To complicate things, there are a couple of nice Autograph Collection hotels in Madrid! I think they used to be owned by AC hotels but they are definitely better than the CY level. Soon, on top of it, there will be Tribute Portfolio!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.