Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Email blast - Your Account: New Member Benefits in August

Email blast - Your Account: New Member Benefits in August

Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:45 am

Programs: AA LifePlat, Marriott PLAT Prem,UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5 Star
It seems like every 2 weeks I’m getting an e-mail either contradicting something previously or just totally muddying the waters even more.

Last edited by gaspasser; Jun 6, 2018 at 11:33 am Reason: Mispelled word
Old Jun 6, 2018, 11:08 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
I think we're forgetting we're living in a bubble here on FT ... for every one here fretting about the changes and what we're gaining or losing or whatever, there's 10,000 (or more!) MR members who either couldn't really care less, or maybe at most will make a note of it the next time they book a stay.

As an example, I live in Silicon Valley; they hand out AmEx Plat like party favors around here, and the folks I personally know who have one have very little idea of the benefits they're entitled to ... we're just more-attuned around here but I really don't think it carries over to the general population.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 12:54 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
I think we're forgetting we're living in a bubble here on FT ... for every one here fretting about the changes and what we're gaining or losing or whatever, there's 10,000 (or more!) MR members who either couldn't really care less, or maybe at most will make a note of it the next time they book a stay.

As an example, I live in Silicon Valley; they hand out AmEx Plat like party favors around here, and the folks I personally know who have one have very little idea of the benefits they're entitled to ... we're just more-attuned around here but I really don't think it carries over to the general population.
Marriott has millions of members in its loyalty program. Of course, the vast majority don't pay attention to the daily chatter nor will the vast majority ever accumulate enough points for the most aspirational of properties.

A friend's junior colleague, who is otherwise very smart, uses the credit card and stays maybe 15-20 nights a year. She doesn't know anything about the changes but is convinced she will eventually get enough points to go on that dream think. Her balance? 25,000 points.

Yes, we all had to start somewhere, but the idea that most members will ever have enough points for a week at a category-9 property or an international first-class travel package is absurd. They will be lucky if they have enough points for a long weekend at the Fairfield Inn or Courtyard in Manhattan.

Then there are the people who are rich or are C-suite executives. They may have the cards that provide benefits. They may even have status or miles. But many of them don't care or can't be bothered because they're flying international business-class or international first-class and staying in 5-star hotels, regardless of whether it's their own money or the someone else's money. They don't need the upgrades, the points and so forth.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Jun 6, 2018 at 2:03 pm
Old Jun 6, 2018, 1:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Marriott has millions of members in its loyalty program. Of course, the vast majority don't pay attention to the daily chatter nor will the vast majority ever accumulate enough points for the most aspirational of properties.

A friend's junior colleague, who is otherwise very smart, uses the credit card and stays maybe 15-20 nights a year. She doesn't know anything about the changes but is convinced she will eventually get enough points to go on that dream think. Her balance? 25,000 points.

Yes, we all had to start somewhere, but the idea that most members will ever have enough points for a week at a category-9 property or an international first-class travel package is absurd. They will be lucky if they have enough points for a year at the Fairfield Inn or Courtyard in Manhattan.

Then there are the people who are rich or are C-suite executives. They may have the cards that provide benefits. They may even have status or miles. But many of them don't care or can't be bothered because they're flying international business-class or international first-class and staying in 5-star hotels, regardless of whether it's their own money or the someone else's money. They don't need the upgrades, the points and so forth.
A year at the Courtyard or Fairfield Inn in Manhattan? Is second prize two years there?
Old Jun 6, 2018, 2:03 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
A year at the Courtyard or Fairfield Inn in Manhattan? Is second prize two years there?
Typo.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 2:24 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Typo.
Of course, but it's still funny. I'm trying to find something amusing about the MR meltdown that's been going on and on.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 5:32 pm

If you're now MR (not SPG) LTP, you're grandfathered into LTPP in the new combined program, effective in August. All of the other ways to qualify are in response to screams from SPG folks.
ok ...how do you find out your status...I did find somewhere that I've stayed 991 nights ... but it says I need 36 more nights to renew Platinum elite. I thought you didn't have to qualify each year as lifetime platinum...a level I've been at for several years (don't know how many years).

can anyone tell me how to check this online...they make it very hard yo find. I think I've earned over 8 million MR points and have just under 2 million left. According to a recent call I made the gal who answered said she hadn't talked to with so many earned points.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by pwrshift

ok ...how do you find out your status...I did find somewhere that I've stayed 991 nights ... but it says I need 36 more nights to renew Platinum elite. I thought you didn't have to qualify each year as lifetime platinum...a level I've been at for several years (don't know how many years).

can anyone tell me how to check this online...they make it very hard yo find. I think I've earned over 8 million MR points and have just under 2 million left. According to a recent call I made the gal who answered said she hadn't talked to with so many earned points.
I can't see a way to verify lifetime status (versus lifetime nights) online, but if you have over 750 Marriott only nights (which you can see online) and currently over two million Marriott points (so that you've surely earned over two million lifetime points, and you can see your current points balance online), then you're already Marriott LTP under the legacy Marriott program requirements. Hence you will automatically become LTPP in August.

Alternatively, if you have a Marriott Lifetime Platinum card (charcoal colored, and it looks a lot like the PP card except PP has an expiration date), then you'll become LTPP in August.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 6:03 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton LT Diamond, AA LT Platinum
Originally Posted by Hipplewm

You will be lifetime Plat Premier - and as far as I can tell no SNA will be given unless you stay the required number of nights each year, but other than that you get all the benefits
Why do you say that LTPP will not receive SNAs? I don’t think this is correct; in fact, I inferred that LTPP would automatically receive the SNAs. I could be wrong of course, but this is the most obvious determination.

Last edited by HookEm; Jun 6, 2018 at 6:05 pm Reason: made clearer.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by HookEm

Why do you say that LTPP will not receive SNAs? I don’t think this is correct; in fact, I inferred that LTPP would automatically receive the SNAs. I could be wrong of course, but this is the most obvious determination.

NOPE. In the new combined program, at 50 nights you can pick 5 SNAs and at 75 nights you can pick 5 (additional) SNAs. None are given just for having lifetime status. [SPG essentially did the same: SPG LTP is really PlatMinus (the 25 stay level in the legacy SPG program) with no SNAs. At 50 nights, regardless of lifetime status, SPG Plats have the opportunity to pick 10 SNAs.]
Old Jun 6, 2018, 8:39 pm

NOPE. In the new combined program, at 50 nights you can pick 5 SNAs and at 75 nights you can pick 5 (additional) SNAs. None are given just for having lifetime status. [SPG essentially did the same: SPG LTP is really PlatMinus (the 25 stay level in the legacy SPG program) with no SNAs. At 50 nights, regardless of lifetime status, SPG Plats have the opportunity to pick 10 SNAs.]
now you've confused me more than before.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by pwrshift

now you've confused me more than before.
OK, let's try again, although it would help to know what part confuses you.

There are no SNAs associated with lifetime status, not in the legacy SPG program, not in the legacy MR program, and not in the new combined program.

SNAs must be EARNED by NIGHTS each and every year, regardless of any lifetime status you may have.

In the current legacy MR program, there are no SNAs at all, regardless of the number of nights/spend you have.

In the current legacy SPG program, you earn a choice at 50 SPG (only) nights and one of the things you can pick is 10 SNAs.

In the new combined program starting in August, you each one choice at 50 combined nights and another one at 25 more (75 total) combined nights. For each of these choices, you can pick 5 SNAs (note only 5 SNAs for each separate choice) or something else, to be determined.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 9:40 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT

@MSPeconomist is correct. LTPP does not automatically get SNAs. The chart on members.Marriott makes it clear that the SNA choice is awarded each year with 50 and 75 stays and this has been confirmed numerous times by Lurkers and the company.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 11:09 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC

2 Reasons:

1. https://members.marriott.com/benefits/ If you look at that link where it talks about choosing SNA'sit goes to GREAT LENGTHS to asterisk the parts about must have 50 nights

2. During one of the Q n A either on starwood forums or the guy giving the interview they mention it as well. Basically someone from Marriott confirmed it, I just can't remember where.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is interesting even some long time FTers seem to have missed the mid-April announcements and confused by the change. I hope the properties will know all these things come August.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.