Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

What if you got a lot of points to which you weren't entitled?

What if you got a lot of points to which you weren't entitled?

Old May 30, 2018, 1:32 am

Maybe a funny/pragmatic angle to look at it:

Think of the points as a marketing expense for Marriott. If you go and spend the points on an aspirational hotel stay, tell your friends and colleagues about what a great experience you had with Marriott some may go ahead and book with cash. That way Marriott recoups the marketing expense and everyone is happy.
Old May 30, 2018, 3:14 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
With the current customer service meltdown it looks like you have no effective way to reach Marriott even if you wanted to. Call Marriott Rewards and spend 10min on hold before hanging up if you want your conscience clear.
joshua362 and ehallison like this.
Old May 30, 2018, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by jdang
One time I bought a gift card through the Mileage X App for a restaurant. I tried to use it at the restaurant and they told me their gift card system is down and took down my gift card info. I asked them if they wanted to take down my info just in case they can't get the money but they said no and we left.

Few months down the line, i checked the balance of that gift card and the full amount was still on there. It was 80 something. Everyone told me to just spend it but I think of myself as an ethical and morale person, I messaged the restaurant chain, explaining what happened, and told them that the restaurant didn't withdraw any money from my gift card and asked them if they wanted me to bring back into the store and have them take the money. They responded back thanking me for informing them about the issue and told me to just go ahead and use it again at any of their restaurants.

Up to you what you want to do. I felt less guilty about using the gift card. I ended up using like 60 and tipped like 20 bucks to the waiter/waitress.
You situation is interesting to me from an ethical perspective.

If a local independent small merchant as a grocery store undercharges me or gives me to much change, I immediately point t at.
If a Walmart store undercharges me for an item, I keep my mouth shut.
If I receive too much change from Walmart, I don't know what to do. Will it be taken from the paycheck of the hourly cashier?
( I know the pricing error in my favor will have no negative repercussions for an employee. )

In short, Marriott and a small locally owned store are not the same in the standard to which I hold myself
Old May 30, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: UA Au Marriott Ti Hilton C
I had something along this line happen to me last year.

Mrs. 1120 and I booked and completed a stay at a Marriott property. I realized upon arrival that I must have been logged into her account when i booked the stay since it had her number on it. I explained the issue to the FD person and she changed it. Upon checkout, the invoice showed my name snd MR number.

I figured all was well when I saw the points and nights show up on my account. I realized a few days later that they also showed up on her account.

Personally, I don’t want risk my relationship with Marriott so I called them and they agreed that it was incorrect and they would deduct the points and nights from her.

12 months later, it hasn’t been corrected. I figure I did my part and now it’s on them.

YMMV
Old May 30, 2018, 4:46 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Wait. (ETA: Oh hell, you have. You only have to wait 30 days with real money, so I'd say "have at 'em"!")

I got a metric buttload of points when a week's stay denominated in SEK got USD spend credit (~7:1 at the time) and I knew it was too good to be true. 10 days later, it was
Old May 30, 2018, 4:50 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by yrs
Obviously, this has been bothering you.
Yeah, or he's the 99.9% of the population who'd be wondering "How long do I have to wait before I can spend the $$ I found so they're not clawed back?"
Old May 30, 2018, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
YMMV...United has made a couple of "mistakes" in my favor point or upgrade wise, and I have karmic-ally credited that against the massive debit that started in March 2012 post-merger.
Yes, many people frame taking things that aren't theirs as "but I deserve it".
Old May 31, 2018, 4:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
For those of you who are playing the ethics card

I hope you are not booking mistake fares or hotel rates - I'm sure your not though b/c of your ethics right

What would I do - after 15 months - I would use them. I would use them more so as a customer who doesn't stay at MR frequently nor from what I can tell, have a lot of points in your MR account [& is not likely too] - spend them you have little risk in this haunting you - after 15 mo it is reasonable for one to assume that those are your points. 15 days, you might have a problem, 15 mo, you should be good to go

MR has audit software and auditors - it is the job of those people to figure this stuff out - let them do their job [or not]
joshua362 likes this.
Old May 31, 2018, 11:22 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I tend to agree with the "its been 15 months and they have had their chance" group. But with that said, I probably would have called in a couple of weeks after the points first were deposited into my account to check on it (but I wouldn't begrudge anyone who just waited a year or 15 months instead.) I had a similar occurrence a few years back (only it was 30K, not 120K), I did call in and it turned out it was from a promo I hadn't realized I signed up for. So while I thought it was an accident, turned out I was supposed to get the points.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.