Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Is Marriott Member Rate an eligible rate to earn Stay / Night Credit?

Old May 23, 18, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

This may be a silly question - I am planning stays for Plat Challenge and notice at one of the properties I would stay, the Marriott Reward Member Rate (cancellable) is always the lowest among the public discount rates including AAA and Senior Rates.
However it also says Please note: Non-commissionable rate versus the AAA or Senior Rates only say about Valid ID required.

Is the Marriott Reward Member Rate is an eligible rate to earn Stay / Night? I emailed [email protected] but have not gotten any response so far.

I could not find any clear answer in the FAQs on Marriott site.

I do find these languages -
Rooms booked through third party online retailers, such as Expedia.com, Travelocity.com, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline.com, Tripadvisor.com or any other 3rd party online/mobile travel portal (regardless of how the hotel is paid) are not eligible for Points or Elite night credit. Wholesale rates, wholesale packages, Fam-Tastic® rates, travel industry rates and organized tours or package bookings are not eligible for Points or Elite night credit regardless of booking channel.

This is bothersome because the hotel lists the Member Reward Rate under "Packages".

Does anyone know the answer whether the Marriott Reward Rate is good to use for pay stays to do the Challenge, even it says Non-Commissionable, and is under "Packages"?
Old May 23, 18, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
I have always earned rewards points and stay/night credit for the Marriott Rewards Member Rate. However, I haven't done a challenge in a long time. So I don't know about that. But I believe it would.
Old May 23, 18, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
I have always earned rewards points and stay/night credit for the Marriott Rewards Member Rate. However, I haven't done a challenge in a long time. So I don't know about that. But I believe it would.
As long as it earns points and stay/night credit it should be an eligible rate. Though I read on the Insider site someone did not earn anything other than the welcome point on one stay. The staffer at Insider asked the poster to send in details privately and there was no more follow up post - so it is still unclear.

Last edited by Happy; May 23, 18 at 3:08 pm Reason: typo
Old May 23, 18, 2:48 pm

Programs: Delta PM & 2M+ Miles - Bonvoy - Lifetime Titanium - DL AMEX Reserve
I have used this rate many times and have never had an issue getting my "stay" credit.
Old May 23, 18, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
I have always earned stay credit and points on all the rates posted on the Marriott website, including the deals tab. For example, I always look under deals to see if they offer a bonus point rate that is the same price as the regular rate. If I do, I book the deal with additional bonus points. The stays and nights under those deals always count towards whatever promotion is going on as well.

Next week, I have a stay in the DC area. They offered a bonus point rate of 5000 points for $2 less than the Marriott Member rate on the first tab. I fully expect to get credit for the stay, credit towards the current promo, and my normal MR points for the room on top of the 5000 point bonus. That is the way it has always worked out for me in the past.
Old May 23, 18, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GregInMN View Post
I have used this rate many times and have never had an issue getting my "stay" credit.
Thank you for the info. This is comforting to know.

Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
I have always earned stay credit and points on all the rates posted on the Marriott website, including the deals tab. For example, I always look under deals to see if they offer a bonus point rate that is the same price as the regular rate. If I do, I book the deal with additional bonus points. The stays and nights under those deals always count towards whatever promotion is going on as well.

Next week, I have a stay in the DC area. They offered a bonus point rate of 5000 points for $2 less than the Marriott Member rate on the first tab. I fully expect to get credit for the stay, credit towards the current promo, and my normal MR points for the room on top of the 5000 point bonus. That is the way it has always worked out for me in the past.
Yes, the Marriott Member Rate is listed under the Deal Tab. I did not notice it at all when I picked AAA rate to check price. I wish Marriott site has more rate options and allow multiple options to be checked at same time, like how IHG site works.

Interesting you saw rate earning extra 5K pts was $2 less than the Marriott Member Rate. I was always under the impression the Marriott Member Rate should be the lowest, apparently it is not! The current promo offer I got is a crumby one - earn 750 pts on 3rd stay I believe. It is so bad that I dont even remember the details.
Old May 23, 18, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K 0.8MM, Marriott PLT, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Marriott Member Rate is always a qualified rate.

Simply because it is exclusive to Marriott Member (Note - virtually everyone can become a Marriott Member) does not make it non-qualified.
Old Mar 22, 19, 5:20 pm

Sorry to revive an old thread, but this was the closest to my question. I just saw this rate above and was wondering whether the "does not offer points" statement meant that I would in fact not get any points and/or stay credits for this rate (this is not an award stay, but a paid rate).
Old Mar 23, 19, 2:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by halamadrid View Post

Sorry to revive an old thread, but this was the closest to my question. I just saw this rate above and was wondering whether the "does not offer points" statement meant that I would in fact not get any points and/or stay credits for this rate (this is not an award stay, but a paid rate).
If it says "does not offer points" I would assume that you will earn no points on the room rate, but I've never seen such a rate plan, including for MR or SPG before the merger.

Check T&C very carefully to see whether earning points is a requirement for nights credit or whether it's sufficient that the reservation be made through the Starriott website.
Old Mar 23, 19, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
If it says "does not offer points" I would assume that you will earn no points on the room rate, but I've never seen such a rate plan, including for MR or SPG before the merger.

Check T&C very carefully to see whether earning points is a requirement for nights credit or whether it's sufficient that the reservation be made through the Starriott website.
Thanks. I was looking everywhere and there aren't that many details. I'm just not going to take a chance to save a few bucks on this rate.