Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Gold Devaluation: Any way to keep my lounge access?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold Devaluation: Any way to keep my lounge access?

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2018, 4:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Alohashirt
Calling it the end of a "boost" instead of a devaluation of Gold really doesn't matter to me. All I know is that I have lounge access now and that on August 1, I won't. To me, that's less value. I would not go as far as some suggest in calling it "false advertising" or cancelling my AMEX card. Programs and perks change over the years, as do my travel patterns. I accept that. If there's a way to keep the lounge access I enjoy by paying a few hundred $ to hold board meetings I'm holding anyway, I'm all in.

If not, I guess I'm heading to Hiltons in August.
Do you have lounge access at Hilton?

Do you think you’ll stay 15 more nights total for the rest of the year? If so, you’d really only be losing out on lounge access for the nights between 8/1 and when you reach 50, since once you reach 50 you’ll have the new Platinum status for all of 2019.

I also believe if you receive the MR emails you should be able to get an elite night credit for your birthday.
lexdevil likes this.
Old May 24, 2018, 12:43 am

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
I'm one of the many who got Marriott Gold status via the AMEX Platinum card. This means I'll be tossed from the lounges and free breakfasts in August.

I travel for work about every month and have 20 paid Marriott nights so far this year, all of which are at premium properties in expensive cities (NYC and London). Lounge access really does make a difference to me-- and it's the deciding factor that keeps me coming to Marriotts instead of Hiltons.

I have a standard Chase Marriott Signature Visa, which I believe gives me 15 nights of credit a year automatically. Combined with my paid stays, that still leaves me 15 nights short of the 50 I'd need to keep my lounge access. I'm not likely to do a "mattress run" for 10-15 nights. Nor am I in a position to spend 30K or some comparably high figure on my Signature Visa.

Can anybody think of other options I might have to reach the new Platinum and keep my lounge access? I know that I could get an AMEX Hilton Aspire card. That would give me Hilton Diamond status with lounge access. However, I do like Marriotts and would much rather stick with them if at all possible. I guess I'm in that unfortunate category of business folks who travel enough to value the comforts of loyalty perks, but not quite frequently enough to earn a level that guarantees them.
I've been been considering the same issue - if I lose lounge access at Marriotts, I plan to jump ship, go to Hilton with the aspire card and never look back.
Old May 24, 2018, 12:47 am

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
I'm one of the many who got Marriott Gold status via the AMEX Platinum card. This means I'll be tossed from the lounges and free breakfasts in August.

I travel for work about every month and have 20 paid Marriott nights so far this year, all of which are at premium properties in expensive cities (NYC and London). Lounge access really does make a difference to me-- and it's the deciding factor that keeps me coming to Marriotts instead of Hiltons.

I have a standard Chase Marriott Signature Visa, which I believe gives me 15 nights of credit a year automatically. Combined with my paid stays, that still leaves me 15 nights short of the 50 I'd need to keep my lounge access. I'm not likely to do a "mattress run" for 10-15 nights. Nor am I in a position to spend 30K or some comparably high figure on my Signature Visa.

Can anybody think of other options I might have to reach the new Platinum and keep my lounge access? I know that I could get an AMEX Hilton Aspire card. That would give me Hilton Diamond status with lounge access. However, I do like Marriotts and would much rather stick with them if at all possible. I guess I'm in that unfortunate category of business folks who travel enough to value the comforts of loyalty perks, but not quite frequently enough to earn a level that guarantees them.
I've been been considering the same issue - if I lose lounge access at Marriotts when i go to gold (which i will next year), I plan to jump ship, go to Hilton with the aspire card and never look back.
Old May 24, 2018, 1:33 am

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, Marriott
The Amex Platinum also gives you Gold at Hilton and Golds there get free continental breakfast.
Old May 24, 2018, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus, Miles and More
I've been been considering the same issue - if I lose lounge access at Marriotts when i go to gold (which i will next year), I plan to jump ship, go to Hilton with the aspire card and never look back.
My problem with all of this is that my work travel is likely to remain at about 15-25 nights a year for the next few years. That's just enough to make lounge access and other perks valuable to me, but not quite enough to qualify for the status that guarantees them. The 15 nights I'll get from a credit card help, but still leave me well short of 50. "Manufacturing" another 20 nights with meetings seems like a relatively quick way to get over the top for 2019. It's a good short-term strategy. But not so much for the long run.

I'm confident Marriott will do what the rumor phltraveler reports: Award 10 nights for the first meeting and one for every meeting after. They are clearly trying to thin the herd down to those who actually stay 50 nights. It probably makes sense from their perspective. But for a guy like me who travels one or two nights a month, Hilton is beginning to sound like a better long-term value proposition. Sad but true.
Old May 24, 2018, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
My problem with all of this is that my work travel is likely to remain at about 15-25 nights a year for the next few years. That's just enough to make lounge access and other perks valuable to me, but not quite enough to qualify for the status that guarantees them. The 15 nights I'll get from a credit card help, but still leave me well short of 50. "Manufacturing" another 20 nights with meetings seems like a relatively quick way to get over the top for 2019. It's a good short-term strategy. But not so much for the long run.

I'm confident Marriott will do what the rumor phltraveler reports: Award 10 nights for the first meeting and one for every meeting after. They are clearly trying to thin the herd down to those who actually stay 50 nights. It probably makes sense from their perspective. But for a guy like me who travels one or two nights a month, Hilton is beginning to sound like a better long-term value proposition. Sad but true.
Give them time to shake things out. I'm guessing the affiliations will get redefined to include lounge access and other benefits even if not a tier bump. There's very little the new Gold level brings to the table to justify the higher card fees. Once the accounts start to go away everyone will be at the negotiating table hammering out a new deal.
Old May 24, 2018, 4:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Note that Hilton Golds get free breakfast (which some hotels make the full buffet even though the published benefit is just continental, while IME others have a very generous cold portion of their buffet on offer, with the possibility of paying to upgrade to include the hot buffet), but not lounge access unless they're upgraded to a club level room. YMMV.

BTW, IMO lounge access at Elite50 wouldn't be unreasonable if it were 50 real nights, with no meeting credit or credit card nights included.....or Starriott could follow Hyatt and give some club level upgrade certs including lounge access to their mid-tier people. [WOH is four certs annually, but they cannot be used for free breakfast in hotels without lounges.]
Old May 24, 2018, 5:23 pm

Location: Port St Lucie, FL, UA1K since 1994 and 3mm, Delta 1mm
Programs: Marriott Titanium Life, Hilton Gold
No sympathy from me. Why then they let all elites into the lounge. You can also book a room with lounge access.
Old May 25, 2018, 5:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by PaulMCO
You can also book a room with lounge access.
not always
Old May 25, 2018, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus, Miles and More
No sympathy from me. Why then they let all elites into the lounge. You can also book a room with lounge access.
Nobody's asking for "sympathy." As the OP, I was simply asking if there's a practical way to continue getting a benefit that I have come to like over the past year. That benefit is going to be taken away. One cannot always book a room with lounge access, nor is it an extra that many corporate travel policies will pay for.

I can certainly understand the need to keep a degree of exclusivity in lounge access. Priority Pass is a shining example of a benefit that is losing its value exponentially. Since nearly every "premium" credit card has started including it, many lounges have become mob scenes. People of all ages stampede to grab handfuls of cheap pretzels. Several foreign airline lounges that Priority Pass touts as "included" now limit members to "access between 2 am and 3 am."

The Marriott lounges I used have not been overcrowded. Maybe it's becoming a problem elsewhere. Giving upgrade certs like Hyatt may be the route Marriott goes-- or some new premium credit card similar to the Aspire may come out. Until then, it makes sense to work the rules that exist now by combing actual stays, meetings and credit cards.
Old May 25, 2018, 6:51 am

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
Originally Posted by phltraveler
According to here, Ritz cardholders are only going to get new Plat (50 night a year status) after $75K is moved across the card with an $450 annual fee
These are the *current* benefits of the RC card, and the status levels referred to map to the current tiers in the Rewards program. The new benefits beginning in August have not been announced yet (and I am eagerly waiting to see what they are).
Old May 25, 2018, 7:10 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by JBord
Just to be clear for other readers, it's not a "Gold devaluation", it's a devaluation for Amex holders. Other Golds that had lounge access due to stays, credit card nights, etc. will continue to have access but will now be renamed as Platinum.

Other that the meeting suggestion, it sounds like you don't have the years at 50+ nights to achieve a lifetime status, correct?

Also be aware that some properties allow you to purchase lounge access. If breakfast is the main benefit you seek, it's likely not worth the price however.
A good friend of mine has had GOLD status for a while due to his Super Elite status with UNITED Airlines, He only stays about 10-15 nights per year at Marriott Hotels.
Will he be upgraded to Platinum or stay at Gold?
Anyone know?
Thanks.

NEWMAN

Last edited by hhoope01; Jul 9, 2018 at 12:59 pm Reason: Fixed Signature to fit FT guidelines.
Old May 25, 2018, 7:35 am
yrs

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, WN CP
Originally Posted by Newman
A good friend of mine has had GOLD status for a while due to his Super Elite status with UNITED Airlines, He only stays about 10-15 nights per year at Marriott Hotels.
Will he be upgraded to Platinum or stay at Gold?
Anyone know?
Thanks.

>>>>>>>>NEWMAN<<<<<<<<
My understanding is that after August 1, one has to qualify based on the new rules.
Unless the arrangement with United continues, this benefit may go away.
Old May 25, 2018, 9:10 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by yrs
My understanding is that after August 1, one has to qualify based on the new rules.
Unless the arrangement with United continues, this benefit may go away.
Yes, I believe at this point the UA program would technically still only match to Marriott Gold (old or new). I think by August we'll probably see some news on most of the partner programs and what they intend to do, if anything.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 10:19 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by JBord
Yes, I believe at this point the UA program would technically still only match to Marriott Gold (old or new). I think by August we'll probably see some news on most of the partner programs and what they intend to do, if anything.
Email received this morning from Marriott seems to confirm that. A small footnote says:

*Elite tier will be based on the status earned, not status granted via linking and status matching.
One assumes that "linking" covers those who, like me, get their Gold status because of being UA Plat or 1K, even though an email from Marriott earlier this year confirmed Gold status precisely because of the UA link.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.