Wiki Posts
Search

Rewards category change recently?

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2018, 5:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA lifetime platinum; Hyatt diamond;
Rewards category change recently?

I just noticed that at least two Marriott hotels in Shanghai had the category increase probably in April. According to Marriott 2018 category change page, Courtyard Shanghai Central is cateogory 1 and JW Marriott Hotel Shanghai at Tomorrow Square is 5. Now it's 2 and 6 on Marriott website. Does Marriott start to change category without notice or I missed something?

JW Marriott Hotel Shanghai at Tomorrow Square
Courtyard Shanghai Central
Old May 7, 2018, 6:35 am

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
Originally Posted by angelsun
I just noticed that at least two Marriott hotels in Shanghai had the category increase probably in April. According to Marriott 2018 category change page, Courtyard Shanghai Central is cateogory 1 and JW Marriott Hotel Shanghai at Tomorrow Square is 5. Now it's 2 and 6 on Marriott website. Does Marriott start to change category without notice or I missed something?

As another data point, this happened to me last year. In the 2017 category change list, the Miami Beach EDITION was supposed to go from a Tier 3 to a Tier 4 property. In March, it did indeed change to a Tier 4. Then a month later it changed to a Tier 5, where it remains. I called MR and pitched a fit, and they allowed me to apply a Tier 4 award to the booking.
Old May 7, 2018, 6:41 am

Programs: DL FF, Marriott LT Plat., National EA
Ditto for the Detroit Ren Cen Marriott. We've been staying there each summer for years using our Cat 1-5 certs... but suddenly, when I went to make a reservation for this year, it's a Cat 6!
I guess it's their right...
Old May 7, 2018, 6:46 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat

So I was not the only person confused about this- was going to redeem my 7 night certificate there and was surprised it was cat 6. So in the end I went with JW Marriott Hangzhou. I would not want to spend a whole week in Shanghai anyway.
Old May 7, 2018, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
This has come up before and the "we reserve the right to make changes at any time" clause in the program is always pointed out.
Old May 17, 2018, 3:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Glob

Glad I was not the only one confused. I was planing on using my Cat 5 cert there too, now I can't. :-(

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.