Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Do Chase free night/Marriott Promos count as "Qualifying Nights"?

Do Chase free night/Marriott Promos count as "Qualifying Nights"?

 
Old May 2, 18, 9:31 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 166
Do Chase free night/Marriott Promos count as "Qualifying Nights"?

I'm a bit confused about the rules regarding what nights count as Qualifying Nights for elite status.
- Do the annual free nights from the Chase Credit Card count?
- Does the free night from the Marriott Megabonus promotion count?

Thanks in advance. I did try to search for the answers but failed
GLAinYYZ is offline  
Old May 2, 18, 9:39 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New York
Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTP, Hertz President's Club
Posts: 957
Both count, for now at least. Per the rule changes in 2015, stays on points or certificates (certificates would include free nights from credit card + Megabonus) count as elite qualifying nights.

They could change this upon merging the Starwood + Marriott Rewards programs, but they have not made any indication that they will do so thus far.
phltraveler is offline  
Old May 2, 18, 9:46 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 166
That's great, thanks a lot!
GLAinYYZ is offline  
Old May 2, 18, 6:04 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: BDU
Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Posts: 8,779
Originally Posted by phltraveler View Post
Both count, for now at least. Per the rule changes in 2015, stays on points or certificates (certificates would include free nights from credit card + Megabonus) count as elite qualifying nights.

They could change this upon merging the Starwood + Marriott Rewards programs, but they have not made any indication that they will do so thus far.
While I have not followed the cc information closely, my understanding is the night will continue to count as they do now on the legacy cards, but the new cards will only count the initial sign-up nights and not include anniversary nights, but here's the thing... those that hold the legacy cards are about to get an onslaught of offers to convert your old boring card into the new upgraded exciting card. In doing that, you will lose your annual 15 nights. There may be legitimate reasons to switch to the new card, each person will need to consider, but my understanding is that is how they are going to try to take that benefit away from us.
CJKatl is offline  
Old May 2, 18, 6:32 pm
  #5  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: PHX/SFO
Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Posts: 46,149
Originally Posted by CJKatl View Post
the new cards will only count the initial sign-up nights and not include anniversary nights, but here's the thing... those that hold the legacy cards are about to get an onslaught of offers to convert your old boring card into the new upgraded exciting card. In doing that, you will lose your annual 15 nights.
The new Chase Marriott card will continue to offer 15 nights per calendar year. What it won't offer is 1 night per $3k in spend.
CJKatl likes this.
Kacee is offline  
Old May 2, 18, 6:34 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: DAY
Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Posts: 2,560
Originally Posted by CJKatl View Post
While I have not followed the cc information closely, my understanding is the night will continue to count as they do now on the legacy cards, but the new cards will only count the initial sign-up nights and not include anniversary nights, but here's the thing... those that hold the legacy cards are about to get an onslaught of offers to convert your old boring card into the new upgraded exciting card. In doing that, you will lose your annual 15 nights. There may be legitimate reasons to switch to the new card, each person will need to consider, but my understanding is that is how they are going to try to take that benefit away from us.
The new card includes 15 nights. There are no extra nights for spend however.
CJKatl likes this.
Cledaybuck is online now  
Old May 2, 18, 6:36 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: SJC/SFO/OAK
Programs: UA Premier Plat/Marriott Platinum
Posts: 257
Does the Marriott Credit Cardsí 15 nightly stay credits count toward Lifetime Status?
LisaH is offline  
Old May 2, 18, 6:41 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Carlsbad,CA USA
Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Posts: 1,322
If I am Lifetime Gold now which will transfer to the new Lifetime Platinum is there any reason with the new system to really care about my number of yearly or LIfetime nights any more? I am short too many nights to be able to achieve Lifetime Platinum before December 31.
holocker is offline  
Old May 2, 18, 6:50 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Programs: UA GS, Marriott/SPG Amb, Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 869
Originally Posted by LisaH View Post
Does the Marriott Credit Cardsí 15 nightly stay credits count toward Lifetime Status?
Yes

Originally Posted by holocker View Post
If I am Lifetime Gold now which will transfer to the new Lifetime Platinum is there any reason with the new system to really care about my number of yearly or LIfetime nights any more? I am short too many nights to be able to achieve Lifetime Platinum before December 31.
Yes, if you want suite night awards, Platinum Premier, and/or Ambassador status. Otherwise, no.
LisaH likes this.
getagb is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: