Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Charged for points purchase for a reward w/o authorization

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Charged for points purchase for a reward w/o authorization

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2018, 10:02 am

Just booked the Mauna Kea with points advance, which is a Cat 9. I wasn't charged for any points.
Old May 9, 2018, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by CPRich
Where is the "unwritten rule for Category 9 redemptions"? I don't see "since this is Category 9, you must buy points". It says "you have a number of options" and explains one of them.

Anyone try to short-redeem a non-Cat 9 in the last few days?
Wickersley's email didn't offer him another, and I wasn't offered another at the time of reservation. So at least for some properties, this seems to be an unwritten rule.

Last edited by ehallison; May 9, 2018 at 11:47 am
Old May 9, 2018, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
(removed because I couldn't duplicate it when I tried again)

Last edited by ehallison; May 9, 2018 at 11:48 am
Old May 9, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Hyatt GP Diamond, HHonors Diamond,
Just tried booking the JW Marriott Essex House, and there is a red notification saying that I’m able to use points advance: “With Points Advance, you can wait to earn the points you need and redeem them before your stay.”

Maybe properties can can opt out during certain times?
Old May 10, 2018, 3:34 pm
alc

just try to book a room in mid June where I don't have the points transfer over from SPG yet. While there is a radio button that is NOT selected to purchase the required points, but the only two buttons (one on top with the time countdown and the big button at the bottom of the screen) for me to make this booking is label as "Purchase Points" So, OP, I wonder if that is what happened to you.

BTW, I do need to thank you for starting this thread, as otherwise, I would have just click the booking without reading the button label at all.
Old May 10, 2018, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alc
just try to book a room in mid June where I don't have the points transfer over from SPG yet. While there is a radio button that is NOT selected to purchase the required points, but the only two buttons (one on top with the time countdown and the big button at the bottom of the screen) for me to make this booking is label as "Purchase Points" So, OP, I wonder if that is what happened to you.
No, I have tried multiple times/dates at Le Merigot. I never see the "Purchase Points" button for something that's out greater than 2 weeks...the button says "book now". (I do see the "purchase points" button in the exact same spot for some other properties I tried)
Old May 11, 2018, 2:05 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1K
Called this morning (used the UK telephone number - got straight through)

Explained the situation, put on hold for 5 minutes.."Mr Wickersley, we'll have the transaction cancelled & the monies refunded"
jsloan and ehallison like this.
Old May 12, 2018, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Random $500 "Marriott Rewards" charge on CC

Hello all - just had this pop up on my credit card, no idea where it came from (shows as coming from UT, so assuming the central office). In the past couple days, I contacted a few hotels about hosting a meeting, and one emailed me about a $500 meeting room, so I was wondering if it charged me for it. But the rep contacted me and said they would never charge w/o a contract.

I made three points reservations for this fall as well in the past few days, I don't have any points in my MR account (I house all of them in SPG), but from what I understand, I don't need to fund those rez's with points for an e-cert until 10 days out or so.

TIA for any clarification...about to give up after a half hour on hold w/MR.
Old May 12, 2018, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Check out Charged for points purchase for a reward w/o authorization

May be a new process properties are using to generate revenue.
Old May 12, 2018, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Check out Charged for points purchase for a reward w/o authorization

May be a new process properties are using to generate revenue.
I think you nailed it - I booked a R-C points stay for September.

On the phone now dealing with it, I will dispute the charge if they don't understand the issue. Frankly ridiculous

(mods feel free to merge)
Old May 12, 2018, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Question (because I really don't know the answer). With Marriott you could make a reservation w/o points, but needed them by week before booking. Did SPG require all the points when doing an award booking? If so, is this a harbinger of what it will be like post-merger, that all points are required by time of booking? If SPG didn't, then hopefully this is just a glitch (but a concerning one). And if it is the wave of the future, absolutely one needs to get a heads up before the charge, not find out afterwards.
In being bit by this lovely bug, saw this post that was never answered...correct, w/SPG you had to book the room w/points immediately; clearly inferior to the Marriott policy (which I'm guessing many SPG loyals still don't know about, and will be pleasantly surprised to find out). OTOH Marriott didn't have the same "no blackout date" rule, so the reservation w/o points was a nice counter to that.
Old May 12, 2018, 11:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
In being bit by this lovely bug, saw this post that was never answered...correct, w/SPG you had to book the room w/points immediately; clearly inferior to the Marriott policy (which I'm guessing many SPG loyals still don't know about, and will be pleasantly surprised to find out). OTOH Marriott didn't have the same "no blackout date" rule, so the reservation w/o points was a nice counter to that.
I'm concerned that the Marriott policy is going away w/ the merger, which is why so many are suddenly getting hit w/ purchases of points when they're short when booking the award redemptions & that the SPG policy is going to be the new policy. Would suck for me, as I often booked awards in advance w/o enough points but knowing I'd have them by the week before the stay, which is when the e-cert would get attached.

Cheers.
Old May 12, 2018, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I'm concerned that the Marriott policy is going away w/ the merger, which is why so many are suddenly getting hit w/ purchases of points when they're short when booking the award redemptions & that the SPG policy is going to be the new policy. Would suck for me, as I often booked awards in advance w/o enough points but knowing I'd have them by the week before the stay, which is when the e-cert would get attached.

Cheers.
BTW I discovered the culprit - it's my reservation for the Hi-Lo in Portland (an Autograph Collection), which is only a Cat 8. I replicated all my points bookings I made the other day, and it's the ONLY one that doesn't have the "Additional points required: With Points Advance, you can wait to earn the points you need and redeem them before you stay." So, IF you book something like this w/points, and don't have the points in your account, it looks like Marriott will auto-bill you for the points needed (which in this case, they charged me the same $500 if I was buying points online).

Nowhere is the $500 charge mentioned in the booking process, nowhere does it show up in the reservation. Shady stuff. This isn't something that should vary by property randomly.
Wickersley likes this.
Old May 12, 2018, 12:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Nowhere is the $500 charge mentioned in the booking process, nowhere does it show up in the reservation. Shady stuff. This isn't something that should vary by property randomly.
Agree 100%, except I would add that it shouldn't be done w/o some notification before pushing the button for the final booking. One shouldn't find out when their CC gets dinged.

Cheers.
Old May 12, 2018, 2:56 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
BTW I discovered the culprit - it's my reservation for the Hi-Lo in Portland (an Autograph Collection), which is only a Cat 8.
Enjoy your stay there. It’s one of my favorite Marriott properties so far.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.