Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Years of Status to count toward Lifetime -- How to determine?

Old Apr 28, 2018, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat

So, I know in the app/website I can see how many Lifetime nights and Lifetime Points I've accrued? However, as "status" will soon be a factor with the recent merge, how do I determine how many "years of status" i have held and at what respective level? If there is a specific email sent out, I can search my inbox as well, but was curious if others have any advice on how to figure this number out. SPG displays it quite easily, but that's probably because it's a criteria.

Also, does getting it from United via RewardsPlus count? Does earning it via a status match count?
Old Apr 28, 2018, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
You can't get it on Marriott's site. You can try calling Marriott to get the years, although there's no guarantee of reliability at this point.

For most people questioning a new LT status lower than the LT Plat level, knowing the number of years won't even matter until they clarify the conversion process...meaning are they counting past years based on status level or based on number of nights stayed. Marriott and SPG had different requirements to attain the status levels. So 10 years of Marriott Gold may get you LT Gold or it may get you LT Plat.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Awesome. Thank you for the response. I thought maybe they had clarified the conversion process (and I just hadn't read it / missed it ) when reading all the blogs / posts about the new merged program.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 4:52 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Over on the Starwood forum, the SPG rep (Starwood Lurker) posted in the Wiki at the top of the merger thread that a tool will be available August 1st on both Marriott Rewards and SPG websites for members to check their lifetime elite nights and years, in order to do the calculation (or verify it) themselves.

I'm in the same boat. I'm earned SPG LT Gold (510 nights) and earned MR LT Silver (611 nights), but didn't keep a record of how many years I've been Platinum in each program myself to see if I would be LT Platinum in the combined program (I do make it on combined nights, but don't know if I also have the required combined number of years Platinum). And right now, there's no way to check both for that kind of information.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Seattlenerd
Over on the Starwood forum, the SPG rep (Starwood Lurker) posted in the Wiki at the top of the merger thread that a tool will be available August 1st on both Marriott Rewards and SPG websites for members to check their lifetime elite nights and years, in order to do the calculation (or verify it) themselves.

I'm in the same boat. I'm earned SPG LT Gold (510 nights) and earned MR LT Silver (611 nights), but didn't keep a record of how many years I've been Platinum in each program myself to see if I would be LT Platinum in the combined program (I do make it on combined nights, but don't know if I also have the required combined number of years Platinum). And right now, there's no way to check both for that kind of information.
Yes, maybe not both. But you can check SPG and if that puts you over the line then there's nothing to worry about. Check out https://www.spgpromos.com/dashboard/site/index and click the Lifetime button, then scroll down to see where you stand for LTP status, both nights and years.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 7:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Yes, maybe not both. But you can check SPG and if that puts you over the line then there's nothing to worry about. Check out https://www.spgpromos.com/dashboard/site/index and click the Lifetime button, then scroll down to see where you stand for LTP status, both nights and years.
With 510 lifetime SPG nights, if there were also ten years of earned Plat status, the person would already be SPG LTP, not just SPG LTG.

However, if he/she can find the number of SPG Plat years, it might be possible to take the total number of Marriott nights and deduce the minimum number of Plat years implied by the total number if the person knows when he/she started doing the MR program.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 7:24 pm

Unfortunately, not always (at least in my case). It shows I have 0 years and 0 points to reach SPG LT Gold on the SPG site. But no indication how close I am to SPT LT Plat. And yes, that makes no sense.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Unfortunately, not always (at least in my case). It shows I have 0 years and 0 points to reach SPG LT Gold on the SPG site. But no indication how close I am to SPT LT Plat. And yes, that makes no sense.
??? If you are now SPG LTG (like I am) it should show what you need to make LTP (as does mine).
Old Apr 28, 2018, 9:39 pm

??? If you are now SPG LTG (like I am) it should show what you need to make LTP (as does mine).
It does not. I am LT Gold (confirmed with Starwood based on earned number of years Elite and number of nights, as well as LT Gold a second time due to timeshare ownership; I've been LT Gold for quite a few years). But the confused dashboard shows this: No more nights or years to go to SPG LT Gold, but no indication of what it would take to reach LT Platinum.

I'll wait until the August tool is released to straighten this out. Obviously, the SPG LT tracking system has some glitches now.

Last edited by Seattlenerd; Apr 28, 2018 at 9:59 pm
Old Apr 29, 2018, 12:05 am

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
For the first time that I can remember, I got an email from Marriott a few weeks ago wishing me a happy anniversary for joining MR. Apparently, I joined 21 years ago. They also gave me bonus points for the anniversary. It's the bonus points that makes me think this is a new thing for me. I remember the night credit on my birthday every year, and I think I would remember free points if they had given them to me in the past.

So Marriott definitely has the data somewhere in the archives. I've been traveling for work for about 21 years, so that sounds about right to me.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It does not. I am LT Gold (confirmed with Starwood based on earned number of years Elite and number of nights, as well as LT Gold a second time due to timeshare ownership; I've been LT Gold for quite a few years). But the confused dashboard shows this: No more nights or years to go to SPG LT Gold, but no indication of what it would take to reach LT Platinum.

I'll wait until the August tool is released to straighten this out. Obviously, the SPG LT tracking system has some glitches now.

It does for me:

Now it may be because you are Platinum, where LTG will not kick in until you are below Gold. So checking with SPG would be the only way.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 9:15 am

It does for me:
Now it may be because you are Platinum, where LTG will not kick in until you are below Gold. So checking with SPG would be the only way.
I was not disputing that it shows for you, or others. Just that it does not always show correctly for everyone and my situation is an example of that.

I'll wait until August when I can also get the correct tallies for my Marriott Rewards account. Any calculation without both SPG & MR to come up with a combined LT total wouldn't be useful. At least not for me, and perhaps others.

Last edited by Seattlenerd; Apr 29, 2018 at 9:21 am
Old Apr 29, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I was not disputing that it shows for you, or others. Just that it does not always show correctly for everyone and my situation is an example of that.

I'll wait until August when I can also get the correct tallies for my Marriott Rewards account. Any calculation without both SPG & MR to come up with a combined LT total wouldn't be useful. At least not for me, and perhaps others.
Have you tried calling SPG to ask how many years of Plat you already have? I would do this well before August and, in fact, try to get some documentation. IMO you should also check that the years SPG credits you as Plat agree with the information you get from doing this by hand yourself from your master statement (which you should certainly get before August in any event).
Old Apr 29, 2018, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Have you tried calling SPG to ask how many years of Plat you already have? I would do this well before August and, in fact, try to get some documentation. IMO you should also check that the years SPG credits you as Plat agree with the information you get from doing this by hand yourself from your master statement (which you should certainly get before August in any event).
While I appreciate the suggestion, that doesn't work for me unless I can get equivalent information from Marriott Rewards. It's the combined total of years Platinum and nights I'm interested in, and MR does not have its own lifetime history information available beyond nights (nor did I obsessively track my years Platinum in each program). I'm not anxious about this, just curious, and there's little I can do with the information today, anyway. But I may call. Thanks.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 11:40 am

Yes, I understand that you're intimately interested in the total years of Plat, but (1) you need to document how many Plat years you have on the SPG side BEFORE AUGUST IMO and (2) I suggested that if you have information from one side, so that you know how many additional Plat years you need from the other side to get to ten when the combination occurs, you might be able to figure out whether you'll definitely have ten or whether you definitely won't have ten (or inconclusive).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.