FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Gold no longer to get Lounge Access? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1906095-gold-no-longer-get-lounge-access.html)

scottsam66 Apr 25, 2018 3:13 pm

Gold no longer to get Lounge Access?

Anyone hear of this? I overheard the executive lounge attendant discussing with another guest that in the near future Marriott was changing their exec lounge access, and Gold would no longer get access.
Also, he made reference to classification changes as well.
Anyone info is appreciated.

catocony Apr 25, 2018 3:33 pm

Yes and no. The current Gold will become Platinum, and the current Silver will become Gold. So, she is correct that Golds will not get access, but everyone currently at Gold level - 50 nights a year - will have access as new Platinums.

jdang Apr 25, 2018 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by catocony (Post 29683594)
Yes and no. The current Gold will become Platinum, and the current Silver will become Gold. So, she is correct that Golds will not get access, but everyone currently at Gold level - 50 nights a year - will have access as new Platinums.

Silver does not become gold.

10-24 night = Silver
25-49 night = Gold
50-74 night = Platinum (Lounge, matches to current marriott gold of 50 nights)
75+ night = Platinum Premier
100+ night + 20k spend = Ambassador

Credit card gold status was never intended to get lounge access but only got it due to Marriott being nice and matched SPG gold(25 nights) to Marriott Gold(50 nights).

If you got gold from Marriott side of things, you'll become Platinum and will still have lounge access. If you got it through Credit Card that gave SPG gold, you may or may not get Platinum from Aug 1st-January 2019.
Come January 1st 2019, no matter how you get gold, you wont get lounge access. Only the new Platinum or above will have lounge access.

TrojanHorse Apr 25, 2018 4:09 pm

How does the current lifetime gold fit into this?

aaupgrade Apr 25, 2018 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse (Post 29683751)
How does the current lifetime gold fit into this?

Since this is the Marriott forum I assume you are asking about current Marriott Lifetime Gold. Image attached, and here's a link to the source:

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...2652dffe2f.jpg

catocony Apr 25, 2018 8:06 pm

The current Marriott Silver - which is 10-49 nights - is getting split into two tiers. Silver (10-24) and Gold (25-49). Thus, if you are currently a Gold, which is the 50-74 night tier, the new name for that tier is Platinum.

From the question asked, current Golds become Plats. Excuse me for over-simplifying the Silver status, I used it as an example of what the new Gold will be later in the year - current Silver 25+ night level.

Understand?

Diplomatico Apr 25, 2018 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by scottsam66 (Post 29683517)
Anyone hear of this? I overheard the executive lounge attendant discussing with another guest that in the near future Marriott was changing their exec lounge access, and Gold would no longer get access.
Also, he made reference to classification changes as well.
Anyone info is appreciated.

22 pages of discussion here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...ne-august.html

And yes, what you heard was correct. Gold level elites will no longer receive lounge access under the new program rule set.

brentleatherman Apr 26, 2018 7:49 am

Well, wow, now that I'm a lifetime platinum premier, I wonder if my complimentary bottle of water got any bigger? ;-)

MSPeconomist Apr 26, 2018 7:53 am

Originally Posted by brentleatherman (Post 29685794)
Well, wow, now that I'm a lifetime platinum premier, I wonder if my complimentary bottle of water got any bigger? ;-)

That important and costly elite water benefit might have gone away as collateral damage from the merger. It no longer seems to be a listed benefit of elite status at any level.

kaizen7 Apr 26, 2018 8:21 am

Originally Posted by brentleatherman (Post 29685794)

most likely they give you extra bottle .....
1 for peons .... i mean members
2 for silver
3 for gold
4 for platinums
5 for plat premier
6 for plat premier with ambassador
:D

txpenny Apr 26, 2018 9:16 am

Originally Posted by kaizen7 (Post 29685886)

most likely they give you extra bottle .....
1 for peons .... i mean members
2 for silver
3 for gold
4 for platinums
5 for plat premier
6 for plat premier with ambassador
:D

Sweet! I'm going to get 6 bottles of water!

MSPeconomist Apr 26, 2018 10:40 am

Originally Posted by txpenny (Post 29686098)
Sweet! I'm going to get 6 bottles of water!

Not so good if you're staying for a month!

kaizen7 Apr 26, 2018 11:13 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 29686390)
Not so good if you're staying for a month!

6x500ml : 3000ml

not bad can still have 100ml/ day :D

mitchwebb Apr 26, 2018 12:25 pm

I have been reading threads since the announcement and realized that my MR Gold from SPG Credit card gold match would be going away the end of 2018. I just applied for a platinum challenge and was approved. As stated in the email i will have platinum until end of Jan 2020. Since i have it in writing I am not to worried. Can anyone see a problem with this? I trying to keep Lounge Access as I use my two Flight and Travel Cert.

Thanks

Jamester Apr 26, 2018 3:32 pm

Sorry if this has already been asked (but I can't find it) - what would the Gold comp'ed United Airlines Premier Gold/Plat/1K members be after this merger?

Thx in advance!