Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott Air and Hotel Package- Redeem now or later?

Marriott Air and Hotel Package- Redeem now or later?

 
Old Apr 25, 18, 8:20 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Posts: 860
Marriott Air and Hotel Package- Redeem now or later?

Hi,

Should we redeem the 7-night cert (cat 1-5) now or wait for Aug.1? My travel date is in 2019. What is the best strategy if we wish to travel to Asia (country TBD) with a two year old? Have our eyes set on Japan.

Under the new programme, will we still be able to ďtop upĒ a cat 5 cert to redeem at cat 6 or 7 hotel?

As a side question- if we wish to travel to Japan, is Alaska miles more valuable or American Airline miles? Right now there is a 25% more conversion bonus on AA, if I redeem my points for another MR Air+Hotel package, will the 120K AA miles get a 25% bonus?

Thanks!
theOtherHolmes is offline  
Old Apr 25, 18, 8:31 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 14,893
Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes View Post
As a side question- if we wish to travel to Japan, is Alaska miles more valuable or American Airline miles? Right now there is a 25% more conversion bonus on AA, if I redeem my points for another MR Air+Hotel package, will the 120K AA miles get a 25% bonus?

Thanks!
Current reports are that the 25% bonus is disallowed on travel package redemptions on American, although I don't know if that will be true in practice.

There's no single right answer for choosing Alaska vs. American; it depends upon award availability. You should do some searches in each program to see what availability looks like before choosing a program for your transfer. If you're not combining with an existing balance, consider checking other programs as well; not just Delta and United, but also Japanese airlines JAL and ANA, as they may offer additional award availability to their own program members beyond what they offer their partner airlines.

Good luck!
jsloan is offline  
Old Apr 25, 18, 8:54 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 173
Nights and Flights packages?

Question concerning this option...... I currently have a booking at Sheraton Maui(5 nites) and was considering canceling that to go for the nights/flights package with Marriott (SWA) But I'm assuming I can't do this until after August 1? As in I could get the package now, but no way to book that hotel that I like until there's a way to use the cert. on sheraton? Do you think this will even be a viable option after Aug 1?
hsmama is offline  
Old Apr 25, 18, 9:37 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Posts: 1,854
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
Current reports are that the 25% bonus is disallowed on travel package redemptions on American, although I don't know if that will be true in practice.
I redeemed Marriott rewards points for a travel package last year during another 25% American Airlines bonus period. Travel packages were officially excluded from the bonus. I hoped it might trigger a bonus anyway, but it didn't.
Horace is offline  
Old Apr 25, 18, 9:58 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Barcelona, London, on a plane
Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 9,181
Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes View Post
Hi,

Should we redeem the 7-night cert (cat 1-5) now or wait for Aug.1? My travel date is in 2019. What is the best strategy if we wish to travel to Asia (country TBD) with a two year old? Have our eyes set on Japan.

Under the new programme, will we still be able to “top up” a cat 5 cert to redeem at cat 6 or 7 hotel?

As a side question- if we wish to travel to Japan, is Alaska miles more valuable or American Airline miles? Right now there is a 25% more conversion bonus on AA, if I redeem my points for another MR Air+Hotel package, will the 120K AA miles get a 25% bonus?

Thanks!
Alaska is more valuable. Both allow JAL rewards, but Alaska lets you book online as well as have a stopover. (i.e. Tokyo before continuing to somewhere else in Japan or Asia)

No 25% bonus with AA for Travel Packages.

I suspect we will get some advance notice of the entire award chart / travel package interaction before August. Of course, you can book Marriott hotels without using points / attaching a certificate so there's zero risk to booking the hotel and waiting until we get more info about the certificates.
craigthemif is offline  
Old Apr 25, 18, 10:05 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Programs: Alaska mvp G, AA Exec Plat, Marriott/SPG platinum, United Silver, Delta Silver, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 165
I am In a similar situation is you OP. I redeemed 120,000 miles two times on Alaska airlines. I have 240,000 miles in Alaska. I have yet to redeem my seven nights certificates and category one through five.

I am planning a trip to Thailand for two weeks in October November. I am debating whether I should go ahead and redeem the travel certificates now or wait till after August 1. I am Using 240,000 miles for to business class tickets on Cathay.

​​​​​​​Do you guys advise that I go ahead and redeem it now. Or should I wait to see what the new categories are??
zerodegre is offline  
Old Apr 25, 18, 11:39 am
  #7  
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: McKinney, TX, USA
Programs: SouthWest A-List; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 11,493
You won't be able to use the Marriott TP (Travel Package) hotel cert at a Starwood hotel yet. You will most likely be able to do so once the programs have truly merged, but we can really only guess what a TP hotel cert generated today would be usable at once the merge occurs. Also note that the Marriott TP award comes with a 7-night hotel cert. There is a 5 night version but it is only orderable by MVCI (Marriott's timeshare arm) owners.
hhoope01 is offline  
Old Apr 25, 18, 11:43 am
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Posts: 860
Originally Posted by zerodegre View Post
I am In a similar situation is you OP. I redeemed 120,000 miles two times on Alaska airlines. I have 240,000 miles in Alaska. I have yet to redeem my seven nights certificates and category one through five.

I am planning a trip to Thailand for two weeks in October November. I am debating whether I should go ahead and redeem the travel certificates now or wait till after August 1. I am Using 240,000 miles for to business class tickets on Cathay.

Do you guys advise that I go ahead and redeem it now. Or should I wait to see what the new categories are??
Sorry I have no answer for you re:when to redeem (Iím OP). However I am curious as to why you chose Alaska over AA for redeeming flight on CX?

I hear that CX and JL award availability is worse on Alaska than AA. Is it true? I want to book business or first on JAL and canít decide which airline to transfer to with my 90K SPG points.
theOtherHolmes is offline  
Old Apr 25, 18, 11:55 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Programs: Alaska mvp G, AA Exec Plat, Marriott/SPG platinum, United Silver, Delta Silver, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 165
Cathay Pacific business class was only 100000 miles per ticket round trip to Bangkok. First class would be 140000 per ticket

On American Airlines it was 140,000 miles for a business class and almost 200,000 or more for a first class
zerodegre is offline  
Old Apr 25, 18, 11:55 am
  #10  
Community Director
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Anywhere warm
Posts: 30,751
Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes View Post
I hear that CX and JL award availability is worse on Alaska than AA. Is it true? I want to book business or first on JAL and can’t decide which airline to transfer to with my 90K SPG points.
I've only been tracking CX availability with AS miles recently, so don't know how AA and AS compare. Here's why I appreciate the AS redemptions: layovers. AS allows a layover and doesn't charge additional miles. For example, I had quite a challenge finding any way to get home from Australia using miles. I found CNS-HKG on day 1 and HKG-LAX on day 3. I love Hong Kong so actually see a layover as positive. A business class award is 60K and an award in F is 80K. If I had used AA miles, I would have had to redeem two awards, one for each segment.

Now, if I had needed an AA domestic segment, my preference might change. Fortunately, I can drive home once I get to LAX.
SanDiego1K is offline  
Old Apr 25, 18, 12:34 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: NY Metro
Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
Posts: 1,486
This is my rational for doing it now:

I am a SPG member so can redeem 90,000 SPG points for 270,000 Marriot rewards points. I can then get 132,000 UA miles + 7 nights at any Cat 1-5. After Aug 1, I believe that all floater certificates would be converted back to points or at the very least will be converted to a point based certificate. Either way we are talking about 150,000 Marriott points "back" into my account in one form or the other. So basically I redeemed 120,000 Marriott points (or 40,000 SPG points) for 132,000 UA miles. Cant beat that and I doubt that redemption ratio will remain, but just my 2 cents (maybe it will remain!)
PrivatePilot is offline  
Old Apr 25, 18, 3:16 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: SJC/SFO
Posts: 295
Originally Posted by PrivatePilot View Post
This is my rational for doing it now:

I am a SPG member so can redeem 90,000 SPG points for 270,000 Marriot rewards points. I can then get 132,000 UA miles + 7 nights at any Cat 1-5. After Aug 1, I believe that all floater certificates would be converted back to points or at the very least will be converted to a point based certificate. Either way we are talking about 150,000 Marriott points "back" into my account in one form or the other. So basically I redeemed 120,000 Marriott points (or 40,000 SPG points) for 132,000 UA miles. Cant beat that and I doubt that redemption ratio will remain, but just my 2 cents (maybe it will remain!)
Don't bet on direct point back. Point based cert might be hard to use after h/l season introduced.
khlay is offline  
Old Apr 25, 18, 3:37 pm
  #13  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 9,202
I'd do it now.
7 day consecutive award availability is tough already as it is..
What's stopping Marriott from changing the point levels for travel packages?
izzik is offline  
Old Apr 25, 18, 6:12 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Programs: Alaska mvp G, AA Exec Plat, Marriott/SPG platinum, United Silver, Delta Silver, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 165
interesting. Maybe i will book one certificate and save the other
zerodegre is offline  
Old Apr 26, 18, 1:23 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 285
Originally Posted by PrivatePilot View Post
This is my rational for doing it now:

I am a SPG member so can redeem 90,000 SPG points for 270,000 Marriot rewards points. I can then get 132,000 UA miles + 7 nights at any Cat 1-5. After Aug 1, I believe that all floater certificates would be converted back to points or at the very least will be converted to a point based certificate. Either way we are talking about 150,000 Marriott points "back" into my account in one form or the other. So basically I redeemed 120,000 Marriott points (or 40,000 SPG points) for 132,000 UA miles. Cant beat that and I doubt that redemption ratio will remain, but just my 2 cents (maybe it will remain!)
Please note that IIRC the MR Point value for a cat 1-5 cert is 45,000 MR points. Not 150,000.
funkbandit is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: