Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott Air and Hotel Package- Redeem now or later?

Old Apr 25, 2018, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat

Hi,

Should we redeem the 7-night cert (cat 1-5) now or wait for Aug.1? My travel date is in 2019. What is the best strategy if we wish to travel to Asia (country TBD) with a two year old? Have our eyes set on Japan.

Under the new programme, will we still be able to “top up” a cat 5 cert to redeem at cat 6 or 7 hotel?

As a side question- if we wish to travel to Japan, is Alaska miles more valuable or American Airline miles? Right now there is a 25% more conversion bonus on AA, if I redeem my points for another MR Air+Hotel package, will the 120K AA miles get a 25% bonus?

Thanks!
Old Apr 25, 2018, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes
As a side question- if we wish to travel to Japan, is Alaska miles more valuable or American Airline miles? Right now there is a 25% more conversion bonus on AA, if I redeem my points for another MR Air+Hotel package, will the 120K AA miles get a 25% bonus?

Thanks!
Current reports are that the 25% bonus is disallowed on travel package redemptions on American, although I don't know if that will be true in practice.

There's no single right answer for choosing Alaska vs. American; it depends upon award availability. You should do some searches in each program to see what availability looks like before choosing a program for your transfer. If you're not combining with an existing balance, consider checking other programs as well; not just Delta and United, but also Japanese airlines JAL and ANA, as they may offer additional award availability to their own program members beyond what they offer their partner airlines.

Good luck!
Old Apr 25, 2018, 8:54 am

Nights and Flights packages?

Question concerning this option...... I currently have a booking at Sheraton Maui(5 nites) and was considering canceling that to go for the nights/flights package with Marriott (SWA) But I'm assuming I can't do this until after August 1? As in I could get the package now, but no way to book that hotel that I like until there's a way to use the cert. on sheraton? Do you think this will even be a viable option after Aug 1?
Old Apr 25, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by jsloan
Current reports are that the 25% bonus is disallowed on travel package redemptions on American, although I don't know if that will be true in practice.
I redeemed Marriott rewards points for a travel package last year during another 25% American Airlines bonus period. Travel packages were officially excluded from the bonus. I hoped it might trigger a bonus anyway, but it didn't.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Hi,

Should we redeem the 7-night cert (cat 1-5) now or wait for Aug.1? My travel date is in 2019. What is the best strategy if we wish to travel to Asia (country TBD) with a two year old? Have our eyes set on Japan.

Under the new programme, will we still be able to “top up” a cat 5 cert to redeem at cat 6 or 7 hotel?

Thanks!
Alaska is more valuable. Both allow JAL rewards, but Alaska lets you book online as well as have a stopover. (i.e. Tokyo before continuing to somewhere else in Japan or Asia)

No 25% bonus with AA for Travel Packages.

I suspect we will get some advance notice of the entire award chart / travel package interaction before August. Of course, you can book Marriott hotels without using points / attaching a certificate so there's zero risk to booking the hotel and waiting until we get more info about the certificates.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 10:05 am

Programs: Alaska mvp G, AA Exec Plat, Marriott/SPG platinum, United Silver, Delta Silver, Hilton Diamond
I am In a similar situation is you OP. I redeemed 120,000 miles two times on Alaska airlines. I have 240,000 miles in Alaska. I have yet to redeem my seven nights certificates and category one through five.

I am planning a trip to Thailand for two weeks in October November. I am debating whether I should go ahead and redeem the travel certificates now or wait till after August 1. I am Using 240,000 miles for to business class tickets on Cathay.

​​​​​​​Do you guys advise that I go ahead and redeem it now. Or should I wait to see what the new categories are??
Old Apr 25, 2018, 11:39 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
You won't be able to use the Marriott TP (Travel Package) hotel cert at a Starwood hotel yet. You will most likely be able to do so once the programs have truly merged, but we can really only guess what a TP hotel cert generated today would be usable at once the merge occurs. Also note that the Marriott TP award comes with a 7-night hotel cert. There is a 5 night version but it is only orderable by MVCI (Marriott's timeshare arm) owners.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Originally Posted by zerodegre
I am In a similar situation is you OP. I redeemed 120,000 miles two times on Alaska airlines. I have 240,000 miles in Alaska. I have yet to redeem my seven nights certificates and category one through five.

I am planning a trip to Thailand for two weeks in October November. I am debating whether I should go ahead and redeem the travel certificates now or wait till after August 1. I am Using 240,000 miles for to business class tickets on Cathay.

Do you guys advise that I go ahead and redeem it now. Or should I wait to see what the new categories are??
Sorry I have no answer for you re:when to redeem (I’m OP). However I am curious as to why you chose Alaska over AA for redeeming flight on CX?

I hear that CX and JL award availability is worse on Alaska than AA. Is it true? I want to book business or first on JAL and can’t decide which airline to transfer to with my 90K SPG points.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: Alaska mvp G, AA Exec Plat, Marriott/SPG platinum, United Silver, Delta Silver, Hilton Diamond
Cathay Pacific business class was only 100000 miles per ticket round trip to Bangkok. First class would be 140000 per ticket

On American Airlines it was 140,000 miles for a business class and almost 200,000 or more for a first class
Old Apr 25, 2018, 11:55 am
Community Director Emerita

I hear that CX and JL award availability is worse on Alaska than AA. Is it true? I want to book business or first on JAL and can’t decide which airline to transfer to with my 90K SPG points.
I've only been tracking CX availability with AS miles recently, so don't know how AA and AS compare. Here's why I appreciate the AS redemptions: layovers. AS allows a layover and doesn't charge additional miles. For example, I had quite a challenge finding any way to get home from Australia using miles. I found CNS-HKG on day 1 and HKG-LAX on day 3. I love Hong Kong so actually see a layover as positive. A business class award is 60K and an award in F is 80K. If I had used AA miles, I would have had to redeem two awards, one for each segment.

Now, if I had needed an AA domestic segment, my preference might change. Fortunately, I can drive home once I get to LAX.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
This is my rational for doing it now:

I am a SPG member so can redeem 90,000 SPG points for 270,000 Marriot rewards points. I can then get 132,000 UA miles + 7 nights at any Cat 1-5. After Aug 1, I believe that all floater certificates would be converted back to points or at the very least will be converted to a point based certificate. Either way we are talking about 150,000 Marriott points "back" into my account in one form or the other. So basically I redeemed 120,000 Marriott points (or 40,000 SPG points) for 132,000 UA miles. Cant beat that and I doubt that redemption ratio will remain, but just my 2 cents (maybe it will remain!)
Old Apr 25, 2018, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by PrivatePilot

I am a SPG member so can redeem 90,000 SPG points for 270,000 Marriot rewards points. I can then get 132,000 UA miles + 7 nights at any Cat 1-5. After Aug 1, I believe that all floater certificates would be converted back to points or at the very least will be converted to a point based certificate. Either way we are talking about 150,000 Marriott points "back" into my account in one form or the other. So basically I redeemed 120,000 Marriott points (or 40,000 SPG points) for 132,000 UA miles. Cant beat that and I doubt that redemption ratio will remain, but just my 2 cents (maybe it will remain!)
Don't bet on direct point back. Point based cert might be hard to use after h/l season introduced.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 3:37 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

I'd do it now.
7 day consecutive award availability is tough already as it is..
What's stopping Marriott from changing the point levels for travel packages?
Old Apr 25, 2018, 6:12 pm

interesting. Maybe i will book one certificate and save the other
Old Apr 26, 2018, 1:23 am

Originally Posted by PrivatePilot

Please note that IIRC the MR Point value for a cat 1-5 cert is 45,000 MR points. Not 150,000.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.