Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott Air and Hotel Package- Redeem now or later?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Air and Hotel Package- Redeem now or later?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2018, 10:42 am

Nights and Flights

If I decide to get one of these packages,how long does it take until I have a usable hotel certificate? And how do I check that the hotel I've got my eye on is available using the cert.? I plan to use it for only 5 nights (not 7) but I've read that that's allowed...do I need to find 7 night award availability in that case,or just the 5?
Old Apr 26, 2018, 1:16 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by hsmama
If I decide to get one of these packages,how long does it take until I have a usable hotel certificate? And how do I check that the hotel I've got my eye on is available using the cert.? I plan to use it for only 5 nights (not 7) but I've read that that's allowed...do I need to find 7 night award availability in that case,or just the 5?
You'll have the cert before you get off the phone. Generally when I want to use them I just make the award booking online for a hotel in the corresponding category, then call in to have the cert applied. Rep should be able to do that for you even if the stay is for fewer days.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 1:28 pm

Programs: Alaska mvp G, AA Exec Plat, Marriott/SPG platinum, United Silver, Delta Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by funkbandit
Please note that IIRC the MR Point value for a cat 1-5 cert is 45,000 MR points. Not 150,000.
this confirmed by Marriott ? If this is the case. What is the value of a cat 6 certificate

Last edited by zerodegre; Apr 26, 2018 at 1:45 pm
Old Apr 26, 2018, 2:52 pm

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
Originally Posted by funkbandit
Please note that IIRC the MR Point value for a cat 1-5 cert is 45,000 MR points. Not 150,000.
I am taking about a 7 night Cat 1 - 5 cert that you get with the travel package (miles + nights). That would be closer to 150,000 no?
Old Apr 26, 2018, 3:07 pm

Programs: BAEC, Flying Club, HHonors, Gold Passport, IHG Rewards, Le Club Accor, Club Carlson
As a hypothetical if they do go down the route of transferring the vouchers to points equivelent, what category voucher in pre-Aug value woulf give biggest bang for buck in post-Aug?
Old Apr 26, 2018, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PrivatePilot
I am taking about a 7 night Cat 1 - 5 cert that you get with the travel package (miles + nights). That would be closer to 150,000 no?
No, it's discounted to something like 45K when acquired as part of a travel package. You can see the values if you call in to upgrade or downgrade a cert.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 4:06 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jsloan
No, it's discounted to something like 45K when acquired as part of a travel package. You can see the values if you call in to upgrade or downgrade a cert.
The discounted value of the cert is relevant as far as the value for refunding to points, but Marriott is surely not going to suddenly turn certs that you can redeem for 7 nights at a Cat5 into 45k points in August.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 7:24 pm

Programs: Alaska mvp G, AA Exec Plat, Marriott/SPG platinum, United Silver, Delta Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
The discounted value of the cert is relevant as far as the value for refunding to points, but Marriott is surely not going to suddenly turn certs that you can redeem for 7 nights at a Cat5 into 45k points in August.
I agree .. because i called in to upgrade my Cat5 to a Cat 6.. they were only going to charge me 30,000 points... so no way the cat 5 is only worth 45,000
Old Apr 26, 2018, 7:39 pm

When I rang up to redeem a travel package I asked what will happen to the hotel cert post merger. The agent advised I will still be able to redeem it beyond August, exactly what that means - is anyone's guess.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA Plat, A List Pref, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by zerodegre
I agree .. because i called in to upgrade my Cat5 to a Cat 6.. they were only going to charge me 30,000 points... so no way the cat 5 is only worth 45,000
It's been a while since I had to consider this but the certs are worth less because you already received the airline miles. Otherwise everyone would be turning their marriott points into airline miles at a 1 to 1 ratio (doing a package and then redepositing the 7 night certs). I suspect it ends up being something like the new conversion where 60k marriott points = 25k airline miles... so if you got 100k airline miles they give you the balance of the original cost minus 240K. I'm probably off by a small amount of points but redepositing is a very bad deal.
cruisr likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by davidsc111
It's been a while since I had to consider this but the certs are worth less because you already received the airline miles. Otherwise everyone would be turning their marriott points into airline miles at a 1 to 1 ratio (doing a package and then redepositing the 7 night certs). I suspect it ends up being something like the new conversion where 60k marriott points = 25k airline miles... so if you got 100k airline miles they give you the balance of the original cost minus 240K. I'm probably off by a small amount of points but redepositing is a very bad deal.
I don't think it's worth the bad blood. The fact is that the certificate allows you to redeem for a stay that would be worth 150k points. If you ended up getting only 45K back you probably won't even get two nights at a property you were considering using the cert for. I suspect they will either take the hit and refund that equivalent point value to create goodwill, allowing people to use the points that a cert redemption would have been worth under the old categories, or the cert will be converted to be worth that amount but only redeemable against a seven night stay, which fulfills the 7 night condition that Marriott has held onto so dearly.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 12:15 am

Could they not just convert the certificates category from the old tiers to the new tiers?

E.g. an existing Cat 6 certificate is now a Cat 5 certificate and an old Cat 1-5 certificate is a Category 1-4 certificate if redeemed after August 2018.

Of course, I don't know if their systems will be able to support this so it may be too difficult for them.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 2:01 am

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
The 45k Points is the value of a cat. 1-5 cert if you cancel the cert and convert it back to points. I have had a call with MR the other day. I was given the Information that any cert can be attached to reservations made prior to 1 August (just like today).

There will be a conversion table for certificates (eg. old style cat 1-5 cert will become new style cat 1-4 cert, ...). However, there is no word on how the conversion table will turn out, so there is some degree of uncertainty for the time being.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
I agree.. for the sake of goodwill I think (hope) this may be a one time opportunity to get a good conversion ratio on those "floater" certificates. Otherwise I can see a lot of pissed off people who thought they had a Cat 1-5 7 night certificate in their account suddenly disappear and only get 45K points in return.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Does the new cat 4 require the same amount of points as current a cat 5 hotel?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.