Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Cancel Marriott Chase now or wait and "upgrade" card in May?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 5, 2018, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Here's the link to see your upgrade offer:

https://www.chase.com/chasegreatrewards/catchall
Print Wikipost

Cancel Marriott Chase now or wait and "upgrade" card in May?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2018, 9:22 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
I agree with the analysis above, but for me, getting an extra few nights' credit is more valuable than the somewhat-enhanced free night (still below the level of nearly all hotels at which I stay) or the extra 6K (this year, probably 10-20K next year) points from Marriott spend. In the case of this year, after merging accounts I realized to my surprise that I was within reach of 100 nights, but without the extra nights' credit from spend on my old Marriott Visa I'd have to spend a couple of extra nights in Marriotts in locations where I strongly prefer other hotels. Yes, of course I could do it, but at this stage in life, I put a premium on convenience and the ability to stay where I want to stay.
Given Marriott's "enhancements," I don't expect much from having an Ambassador (so I particularly do not want to make a great effort to get there), but as a frequent traveler to Western Europe who often arrives early in the am from a too-short-to-get-much-sleep aptly named redeye, I am hoping to get some use out of Your 24.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:33 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
I just pulled the trigger on the 50K upgrade. The main reason it made sense was that I have all my credit frozen and don't want to go thru the trouble of unfreezing them to apply for more cards. As many of you have seen, the language is "As long as you continue to meet our credit criteria, your upgrade request will be approved and your new product benefits take effect in up to 4 business days." I'm supposing there's no additional credit check for this upgrade, and I use Chase bank for my business banking as well. It seems pretty seamless.

The next reason is I have several Marriott stays coming up, and want to keep them on a Marriott card, and this way I'll get 6x instead of 5x points without waiting for a new card. And third, I just last nite booked a five night award stay for next summer and need, oh about 50K more points to pay for that! Fourth, I had the $45 Marriott Visa, which gets no anniversary nights -- so for an extra $50, I'll get that 35K bonus nite. The $3K elite nite bonus was good, but I don't use the Marriott card enough to garner that many nights.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I recently upgraded on the 50,000 pt offer. I just got my new card in the mail, along with the accompanying literature their lawyers wrote.

I do NOT see anywhere that says NO foreign transaction fees are still a perk of the new card, as it was with the old card.

Does anyone know?
I upgraded to the new card about four months ago. I have used the new card in Brazil and in Austria. I did not get charged any foreign transaction fees.

Although the above does not answer your question, I think the fact that I did not get charged conversion fees confirms that the old rules of the card carryover to the new card.

The card number is the same number as the prior card.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:11 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
I upgraded to the new card about four months ago. I have used the new card in Brazil and in Austria. I did not get charged any foreign transaction fees.

Although the above does not answer your question, I think the fact that I did not get charged conversion fees confirms that the old rules of the card carryover to the new card.

I did find something in writing that confirms this, but thank you.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 6:03 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd

Well, that would be an upgrade for me from the $45 card, which I realized had transaction fees this summer in Hong Kong. I rarely use the card outside the U.S. but figured I should maximize my points and took it with me, and voila, fees!
Old Nov 5, 2018, 6:34 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum; Hilton Gold
I got my free night + 15 nights for the old Marriott card and so it's time to take that 50K bonus point offer and upgrade

Last edited by Sjondorn; Nov 5, 2018 at 8:48 pm
Old Nov 7, 2018, 11:40 am

I've looked back and i fear i know the answer, but has anyone received the 15 elite nights from the old card after upgrading? My anniversary just passed, but i upgraded in July. Assuming i'm SOL on the 15 nights this year? I thought i read it close enough that i'd still get the 15 nights for 2018, but maybe i was just excited on the points bonus!
Old Nov 7, 2018, 12:25 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mtbvert
I've looked back and i fear i know the answer, but has anyone received the 15 elite nights from the old card after upgrading? My anniversary just passed, but i upgraded in July. Assuming i'm SOL on the 15 nights this year? I thought i read it close enough that i'd still get the 15 nights for 2018, but maybe i was just excited on the points bonus!
I don't think you'll get them if you upgraded before they posted. Whole reason for me holding off the upgrade till now was to get the anniversary certificate + 15 nights. By the way, how long does it take Chase to approve / process the upgrade?
EDIT: Nevermind, it's already showing the new rewards details in online banking.

Last edited by Sjondorn; Nov 7, 2018 at 12:34 pm
Old Nov 8, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
So, what happens when my "old" card expires? Do I get a new version of the old card, or am I automatically "upgraded"? I like the night/$3k benefit of the old card and hope to hold on to it...
Old Nov 9, 2018, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GBadger
So, what happens when my "old" card expires? Do I get a new version of the old card, or am I automatically "upgraded"? I like the night/$3k benefit of the old card and hope to hold on to it...
Since the new card has higher annual fee, you have to agree to it to get it. So at some point, Chase may (or may not) give you the option o upgrading to the new card or closing your old card. But I don't think they can automatically "upgrade" you to the new card without your permission to pay the higher annual fee.

Of course, that is notally separate form the night/$3k benefit. They could take that benefit away from the old card at some point, even without upgrading you to the new card.

But if / when any of this will / won't happen, no one knows. Chase hasn't done anything like this (launching an slightly different version of a hotel card with a higher annual fee) before this year that I know of (and this year they did to at least 2 hotel programs, Marriott and IHG).
Old Nov 25, 2018, 1:02 am

I got a 50K offer but I am a bit concerned since I have an Amex Business SPG card open and I think this chart says I am not eligible to upgrade. Should I be concerned?
Old Nov 25, 2018, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by audio-nut
I got a 50K offer but I am a bit concerned since I have an Amex Business SPG card open and I think this chart says I am not eligible to upgrade. Should I be concerned?
No need to be concerned. That chart has nothing to do with upgrading. It's only for from-scratch applications.

The upgrade offer is technically targeted, so if you have it, you qualify (as long as you do the one purchase after you activate the new card but make sure that the purchase posts before Dec 31).

And since it's "just an upgrade", it also won't show up on your credit reports at all (not as an inquiry, not as a change in the account). Your

Your expiration date and your 3-digit security code will update, so make sure you update any places where you have this card stored online (such as the Marriott website[s]) once you activate the new card.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 5:07 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I just found out something interesting. Wonder if this has happened to others.

I had the old, regular M Chase Visa. I had a certificate that I got in June, 2018, which had an expiration date of June, 2019.

I upgraded to the new Premier Visa in October, 2018. I knew I would not get a certificate until October, 2019.

Today I went to change the reservation I had with the 6/18 cert. to a new reservation for next year, in June. I wasn't sure about the exact expiration date, but knew it would be close to the new reservation I wanted.

I was told that "that" certificate, the one that was to expire in June, 2019, now had an expiration date of October, 2019, one year from me upgrading my card.

So that sort of bridged the gap for foregoing a new certificate until 2019. However, I forgot to ask if the new expiration date made it a 35,000 cert rather than a 25,000 one. Didn't matter to me, since I'm using it for a lower level (but expensive) hotel.

I know this probably sounds confusing but I'm happy, even though I would be using it before the "new" expiration date. But it's nice to know if I have to change "that" reservation I can.
Brendan and dgcpaphd like this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 6:50 am
WFP

Back in July right around the card anniversary we took the PLUS card upgrade offer from the Premier Card.

On August 1 we were charged the Premier Card $85 Annual fee...this was after we took/submitted the online offer.

At some point we received the new PLUS cards, same number...don't recall exactly when but may have been late August.

On December 1 we were charged the $95 Annual fee for the PLUS card

I called and was told that there is an issue and that I "should" be receiving a refund of the $85...that was last week. I called again this week and was told that the issue still has yet to be resolved but that upper management is aware of the situation.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
I've misplaced my original offer. Never saw the 50K offer, but hoping maybe I'm eligible. But the upgrade page shows nothing. I just called, and all the agent could do was to offer to re-mail me my offer. That's 3-5 business days, which is starting to get tight if I need to receive my new card and have first spend by 12/31.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.