Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Cancel Marriott Chase now or wait and "upgrade" card in May?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 5, 2018, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Here's the link to see your upgrade offer:

https://www.chase.com/chasegreatrewards/catchall
Print Wikipost

Cancel Marriott Chase now or wait and "upgrade" card in May?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by jakers3200
I had the same issue, and canceled the card before getting my new certificate or paying the annual fee-- $85 for a Cat 5 hotel was not a good value, as I learned using my first certificate. I may apply for the new card in the fall.
It depends on the category of the hotel, room rates and categories are not evenly aligned (at least in the old program), category more reflects member redemption. I redeem a cat5 cert every year at a hotel with an $170 corporate discount rate and a $200 general best available online rate (higher when events are in town). That makes the cert worth a lot more for me.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 8:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Received my first email upgrade offer -- 10,000 points. They had a chart on the email comparing the two cards that showed you effectively lose the 15 nights credit in 2018, lose the trip cancellation insurance, and lose the elite qualifying night per $3,000 spend. Highlights the 6x earning vs 5x earning but certainly doesn't look remotely worth the conversion at this point.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 9:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, United Silver
I think rather than upgrade I'm just going to cancel my Visa and start using my SPG AmEx for my stays since it already earns 6x Marriott points per $. Perhaps I'll get a good offer for the new card down the road vs the 10,000 points they are offering me now. I guess I'll lose the night per $3,000 spend, but that's probably only 3-4 nights/yr at most anyway.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 10:48 am

I just received my annual free night cert & used it to book a room in December. I am either going to cancel my current Marriott Rewards card (with plans to later pick up the SPG AmEx) or upgrade to the Premier Plus card...Haven't decided which yet. Will they claw back my free night cert?

Last edited by pf815; Jun 9, 2018 at 10:48 am Reason: type
Old Jun 9, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by pf815
I just received my annual free night cert & used it to book a room in December. I am either going to cancel my current Marriott Rewards card (with plans to later pick up the SPG AmEx) or upgrade to the Premier Plus card...Haven't decided which yet. Will they claw back my free night cert?
No.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 12:33 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Originally Posted by 7Lowe
I think rather than upgrade I'm just going to cancel my Visa and start using my SPG AmEx for my stays since it already earns 6x Marriott points per $. Perhaps I'll get a good offer for the new card down the road vs the 10,000 points they are offering me now. I guess I'll lose the night per $3,000 spend, but that's probably only 3-4 nights/yr at most anyway.
You already have two good offers:

https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/mar...67RW&SPID=FSCB

https://creditcards.chase.com/marriott/cardmember
Old Jun 9, 2018, 1:00 pm

My offer was for 50,000 points. I accepted it about two weeks ago, and the all of the points have already posted, probably due to my billing cycle being on or about the 7th day of the month. Also, the points were credited in two increments of 10,000 and 40,000.

Last edited by SCEflyer; Jun 10, 2018 at 2:14 pm Reason: Typo
Old Jun 9, 2018, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Not to panic anyone but it appears that Chase is not letting their "bonus" intro offer extend indefinitely...

David
Old Jun 10, 2018, 2:58 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, United Silver
That says "The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of the Marriott Rewards Premier or Marriott Rewards Premier Plus credit card" so I still have to close my existing one first.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
That says "The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of the Marriott Rewards Premier or Marriott Rewards Premier Plus credit card" so I still have to close my existing one first.
This is exactly what I plan to do. The current card will be cancelled and then the Premier Plus applied for prior to the July 5 cutoff for the 100K points.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 8:13 am

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
What are you waiting for? You better do it quickly, before the two current offers expire.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 3:57 pm

Has anyone successfully canceled and received 100k signup bonus with new card?

Has anyone cancelled the old card, reapplied and actually received the 100k yet? I read the entire thread and, unless I missed it, I didn't see an actual success story of cancelling the existing card and re-applying to receive the 100k bonus.

A number of posts said to wait 30-60 days. I canceled my old card June 2 after having the card for about 5 years. We now know that the 100k signup bonus ends Jul 5 and I want to ensure I can actually receive the 100k signup bonus since it gets me LTP/LTPP under the new program. I now see that the that the card says "closed" in my account, but still appears in my account. I am waiting to pull my annual credit reports as well until closer to July 5. How do we KNOW when its safe to apply for the new card?
Old Jun 10, 2018, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by pdiggity1
Has anyone cancelled the old card, reapplied and actually received the 100k yet? I read the entire thread and, unless I missed it, I didn't see an actual success story of cancelling the existing card and re-applying to receive the 100k bonus.

A number of posts said to wait 30-60 days. I canceled my old card June 2 after having the card for about 5 years. We now know that the 100k signup bonus ends Jul 5 and I want to ensure I can actually receive the 100k signup bonus since it gets me LTP/LTPP under the new program. I now see that the that the card says "closed" in my account, but still appears in my account. I am waiting to pull my annual credit reports as well until closer to July 5. How do we KNOW when its safe to apply for the new card?
There have been posts stating that the balance of the closed card needs to be at zero to give you a better chance of approval on the new card. This includes making sure there is no credit balance on the account for an annual fee. Good luck!
Old Jun 10, 2018, 4:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Lifetime Gold, UA Premier Silver
50K Upgrade Offer

Just throwing this in as another data point. I have had the Marriott Rewards Premier card for nine years and last year I spent approximately $8K on it.

Since I'm already Lifetime Platinum the 1 Elite Night per $3K spend doesn't matter so I gladly took the 50K bonus.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 4:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by AndWhatsYourPoint
50K Upgrade Offer

Just throwing this in as another data point. I have had the Marriott Rewards Premier card for nine years and last year I spent approximately $8K on it.

Since I'm already Lifetime Platinum the 1 Elite Night per $3K spend doesn't matter so I gladly took the 50K bonus.
I've had it for several years and put all my Marriott spend on the card which is 20-30k a year. I was offered 10k to upgrade. Of course, it changes my anniversary date which delays the award as well. Seems like a net loss up front. Not remotely interesting ...

Originally Posted by CO-PLAT
What are you waiting for? You better do it quickly, before the two current offers expire.
If you already have the Premier Card, hard to believe the offers could get worse!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.