Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Cancel Marriott Chase now or wait and "upgrade" card in May?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 5, 2018, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Here's the link to see your upgrade offer:

https://www.chase.com/chasegreatrewards/catchall
Print Wikipost

Cancel Marriott Chase now or wait and "upgrade" card in May?

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by rkonda
Does the anniversary night eligibility gets reset if we take the upgrade offer? My annual free night gets posted in October. If I upgrade the card now, Do I get the free night (35K one) in October or does it mean I lose that night (25K one) in October and will be eligible for free night in next May?
In your case, you would not get the 15 nights credit toward lifetime status or the free night certificate in October if you upgraded right now. It is my understanding that the annual fee would be due in October, but you wouldn't get the certificate until a year after the upgrade (perhaps next May).

If you can wait and still want to upgrade your card, it might be best to upgrade after your 15 nights and certificate post in October for the old card.
Brendan and rkonda like this.
Old May 22, 2018, 11:31 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Rkonda, Jeanie is right! So you must choose between: A. Upgrading now to get no more anniv. certs in October, only a 35K every May starting in 2019 into the indefinite future;
Or B. Waiting till Oct. 2018 to get a 25K cert., then upgrading to get a 35K every Oct. starting in 2019 into the indefinite future PLUS 15 night credits toward 2018 status.
Either way you will get 15 night credits toward status every Feb. starting in 2019.
My situation is worse, because I must wait till December, given that the night credits will make me new Plat vs. new Gold without them!
rkonda likes this.
Old May 23, 2018, 12:59 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
I decided to "invite" my wife to get the new card. She has not had a Marriott Credit Card for many years. I get a 20,000 point referral bonus and she gets the 100,000 points after spending, which I can transfer to my account. When I get my renewal in September with the annual fee I will cancel my card. I am Lifetime Gold now, which will become LIfetime Platinum and am too far away on nights, about 120 nights short, to earn LIfetime Platinum and therefore Lifetime Platinum Premier before the end of the year.
Old May 23, 2018, 5:39 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by holocker
I decided to "invite" my wife to get the new card. She has not had a Marriott Credit Card for many years. I get a 20,000 point referral bonus and she gets the 100,000 points after spending, which I can transfer to my account.
Are referrals still alive? I am getting this from Chase links: "The Marriott Rewards® Premier Credit Card Refer-A-Friend promotion has concluded."
Brendan likes this.
Old May 23, 2018, 8:02 am

Programs: Gold Marriott
Premier Plus Card Upgrade Offer

I received an upgrade email offer today to upgrade to the new premier plus card. I currently have the Marriott consumer card and they are offering 10k bonus points and now 2 points on all purchases. The new card also says in 2019 I'd receive 15 elite night credit each calendar year. Currently every time I spend $3k on the card I get an elite night with no cap and now it seems they are capping it. Other than the now 6x points on Marriott purchases, 2x points on all purchases and fast path to gold ($35k in spend a year).. is there any benefit to upgrading to the new card?
Old May 23, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
The main issue is that starting in August, the certs from the old MR Visa will be valued at up to 25,000 Points, or a Category 4 standard redemption or below, whereas the new Premier Plus Visa will be valid for up to 35,000 points (Category 5 standard redemption or below). That's probably the biggest incentive for upgrading to the new card. The other pros you've already noted is the 20% extra MR points on Marriott spend (6 vs 5 pts/$) and the 2x MR points on general spend.

If you use the MR card for general spend then the 2x is a nice boost but depending on how much you move across the card, maybe insubstantial. Then again, if you don't move a lot across the card, the $3,000/1 elite night credit of the old card isn't worth it.

Dropping the travel interruption/cancellation benefit, hiking the annual fee by $10/yr are downsides.

I wouldn't take the upgrade offer unless you were not eligible to cancel the old card, wait, and get the new one. People have noted issues with free nights/anniversary nights on upgrading where the annual fee was still due at the previous time but the "clock" had reset and it would be a full year after upgrading before they got the certificate. Plus, 10K upgrade offer is nothing compared to the $100K signup offer on the new card.
Old May 23, 2018, 1:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
On the Marriott website after logging in I had a referral offer. I had gotten a referral offer in an email a few days ago and used that link. It did take a few days before the referral link came to my email.
Old May 23, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: Delta PM & 2.4M+ Miles - Bonvoy - Lifetime Titanium - DL AMEX Reserve
Originally Posted by rkonda
Does the anniversary night eligibility gets reset if we take the upgrade offer? My annual free night gets posted in October. If I upgrade the card now, Do I get the free night (35K one) in October or does it mean I lose that night (25K one) in October and will be eligible for free night in next May?
Yes, if you upgrade prior to your current anniversary date, your "upgrade date" becomes your new anniversary date. Therefore, you you would not get the certificate for the old card - you'd have to wait another 12 months to get your 35K point anniversary award.
Old May 23, 2018, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Applied on 5/14.

20K (of the 30K bonus) applied on 5/21. Still haven't seen the card or received anything that says it's on its way.

My previous annual certificate is still attached to the account and will expire in February.
Old May 23, 2018, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by swag
Read the main thread about cancel/upgrading the card.

Post 149 says:
Thank you for posting information concerning the Chase Bank procedure to transfer promised upgrade points in two parts.

It seems like a lot of extra work for Chase employees having to answer countless phone calls (and secure messages) from customers who were not notified of the two-part trasaction and who were not given the amount of upgrade points they were promised.

Athough the correct amount of promised points will eventually be transferred to a customer, the points will transfer (as noted) in two separate transactions and two separate Chase Bank statements.

I cannot think of more routine chores that are unconventionally accomplished like this two-part upgrade transaction. It is not as though it were a difficult transaction.
Old May 24, 2018, 4:58 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Originally Posted by RichMSN
Applied on 5/14.

20K (of the 30K bonus) applied on 5/21. Still haven't seen the card or received anything that says it's on its way.

My previous annual certificate is still attached to the account and will expire in February.
Was your anniversary date in Feb, then? Did you end up paying both the $85 for the old card and the $95 for the new one this year? Trying to figure out when to upgrade my wife's card whose anniversary is in June. Would really like to get the cert on it, but avoid paying the $85.
Old May 24, 2018, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Michilander
Was your anniversary date in Feb, then? Did you end up paying both the $85 for the old card and the $95 for the new one this year? Trying to figure out when to upgrade my wife's card whose anniversary is in June. Would really like to get the cert on it, but avoid paying the $85.
I paid $85 in February, but nothing yet since.
Old May 24, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Tanic
Are referrals still alive? I am getting this from Chase links: "The Marriott Rewards® Premier Credit Card Refer-A-Friend promotion has concluded."
I am guessing that you may be confusing referrals to the old Marriott Premier credit card versus referrals to the new Premier Plus card. Chase is no longer offering the old Premier card.

The the link in this post to reach the page for referrals to the Premier Plus card: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase...ur-links-here/
Brendan likes this.
Old May 24, 2018, 8:56 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by GetawaysRus
I am guessing that you may be confusing referrals to the old Marriott Premier credit card versus referrals to the new Premier Plus card. Chase is no longer offering the old Premier card.
What is Chase's plan for the business Premier card? It seems to be alive, but perhaps not for long? No referrals there either.
Old May 24, 2018, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I’m curious about the biz card too. No upgrade offer on mine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.