Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Cancel Marriott Chase now or wait and "upgrade" card in May?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 5, 2018, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Here's the link to see your upgrade offer:

https://www.chase.com/chasegreatrewards/catchall
Print Wikipost

Cancel Marriott Chase now or wait and "upgrade" card in May?

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2018, 6:41 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Got offered 20k.

For me, main advantage to keep the old card is the $85 AF for buying a free annual night cert, instead of $95 for the new one. Downside is 5X earning at their hotels vs 6X, but it's not that big of a deal. Could care less about the 1 night per $3k spend on the old card since I'm always shifting my daily spending to hit the min spend limits for other cards. Still leaning towards keeping the old one for now.

Still got some time to decide since my AF and cert for this year posts in August/Sept.
LF72 likes this.
Old May 7, 2018, 12:07 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I took the upgrade (only offered 10k points) but just got card 6 months ago . I am ltp and will only spend on site so the extra point and better cert worth more than the qualifying night .

Now that on property points same as SPG Amex I might cancel SPG esp w everyday spend devaluation . Still deciding whether to get luxury Amex or switch to CSR or Hilton Aspire . No clear answer right now as I am only loyal to SPG
Old May 7, 2018, 12:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I have two cards and got no offers to upgrade them using the link at the beginning of this thread. One card never gets used at all; the other got used at Marriotts until the SPG Amex began earning 6 pts/$.

Is there a link where I can just upgrade the cards without a bonus, just to get the better free night certificate? I might do that first, as I'm right up on the annual fee on one of the cards. Then contemplate the cancel/wait 60 days thing...
Brendan likes this.
Old May 7, 2018, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by pinniped
I have two cards and got no offers to upgrade them using the link at the beginning of this thread. One card never gets used at all; the other got used at Marriotts until the SPG Amex began earning 6 pts/$.

Is there a link where I can just upgrade the cards without a bonus, just to get the better free night certificate? I might do that first, as I'm right up on the annual fee on one of the cards. Then contemplate the cancel/wait 60 days thing...
Now, according to #3 in the terms and conditions of the upgrade offer, this is a product change that will reset your anniversary date. Free night certificates are issued on the anniversary date. So let's say, hypothetically, your anniversary date for the existing Premier card is June 1. If you upgrade to Premier Plus on May 15, then your anniversary date will be reset to May 15, 2019. So your certificate won't be generated until May, 2019. Based on the terms and conditions of the offer, it could be better to wait for the certificate to be generated for the Premier card before converting to the Premier Plus.
Brendan likes this.
Old May 7, 2018, 4:21 pm

Please note that completing this product change may result in a change to the month you receive your annual Marriott Free Night Award e-certificate. Anniversary year means the year beginning with your account open date through the first statement date after your account open date anniversary, and the 12 monthly billing cycles after that each year.
Which sounds like if my anniversary is 5/24 (no joke), if I upgrade today I wouldn't get a certificate AT ALL this year and the next would arrive 5/7/2019. That's different than what the CSR told me, which is that I would get the NEW upgrade certificate on 5/24. Is there any way to get a clear, unequivocal statement on this? I find the T&C to be ambiguous at best.
Old May 7, 2018, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by jakers3200
Which sounds like if my anniversary is 5/24 (no joke), if I upgrade today I wouldn't get a certificate AT ALL this year and the next would arrive 5/7/2019. That's different than what the CSR told me, which is that I would get the NEW upgrade certificate on 5/24. Is there any way to get a clear, unequivocal statement on this? I find the T&C to be ambiguous at best.
Well, that's the problem. CSR's don't always know what they are talking about. Try calling back and asking another way. I asked the CSR what a product change would do to my anniversary date. He put me on hold to talk to a supervisor, and said that a product change would change the anniversary date to the date of the product change. So if the product change was on May 15, then my first anniversary date would be May 15, 2019.

Not all CSRs may know that switching from the Premier to the Premier Plus is a product change.
Old May 7, 2018, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by jeanie
Well, that's the problem. CSR's don't always know what they are talking about. Try calling back and asking another way. I asked the CSR what a product change would do to my anniversary date. He put me on hold to talk to a supervisor, and said that a product change would change the anniversary date to the date of the product change. So if the product change was on May 15, then my first anniversary date would be May 15, 2019.

Not all CSRs may know that switching from the Premier to the Premier Plus is a product change.
You're right. I asked more clearly, he flat out said I wouldn't get a certificate this year. I told him I would cancel rather than pay $85 annual fee, and that was that-- no offer of a statement credit, retention or anything else. I may reapply in September since it will be 2 years since I got the original bonus. Still have the SPG card, amongst others.
Old May 7, 2018, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by jakers3200
You're right. I asked more clearly, he flat out said I wouldn't get a certificate this year. I told him I would cancel rather than pay $85 annual fee, and that was that-- no offer of a statement credit, retention or anything else. I may reapply in September since it will be 2 years since I got the original bonus. Still have the SPG card, amongst others.
I don't like this development, either. But at least we know now. Thanks for posting.
Old May 7, 2018, 7:14 pm

Seems an outstanding question is whether you have to wait 30-60 days after cancelling the premier card to then sign up for the Plus card to be eligible for the 100k pt bonus.
Old May 7, 2018, 9:33 pm

I have to wait until September since my bonus posted July or August 2016. Will see what the bonus offer is then.
Old May 7, 2018, 9:36 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
I think I'm gonna keep my Chase card as is and get a Starwood Business card..
Old May 7, 2018, 10:35 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
If I keep my old card until Dec., the ONLY significant advantage for me is the 15 night credits due me this December per my Post #82 . OTOH, I'd rather start earning 2 Marriott pp$ now on non-bonused spending. Also, I'm willing to give up one single 25K free anniv. night in Dec. 2018 to start getting my 35K freebies every May starting 2019 vs. every Dec. starting 2019. Oh well, I can keep using my Chase Sapphire Preferred since 1 Hyatt pp$ is at least as good as 2 Marriott pp$ on non-bonus categories.
Old May 7, 2018, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
I'm not sure if you're counting correctly if you think Amex doesn't count. Chase 5/24 doesn't count pulls (inquiries). Chase looks at your credit report for all bank cards that show an "opened on" date in the past 24 months. It doesn't matter if you closed them. If they appear as accounts on your credit report and have an "opened on" date in the past 24 months, they count.

Amex stopped backdated in early 2015, so by now all Amex cards that were opened in the past 24 months have a true "opened on" date.

The only cards that routinely don't count are business cards, since most banks (with the main exceptions being Discover and Cap One) don't report their business cards to EX/EQ/TU as long as the account is "in good standing".

If you want to verify where you stand with respect to 5/24, the easiest way is to go to Check Your Credit Report & FICO ® Score Experian and sign up for the free report-only account (scroll down to see the free-forever version of the signup). Experian, unlike Credit Karma, lets you sort (both open and closed cards, which are listed separately) by "opened on" date, making it very to count. Just don't believe the "1" always being day of the month, that's a bug on the Experian website (where it shows, for example, "July 1" instead of either just "July" or the correct day in July).
Does Chase's 5/24 rule mean that if you have opened (1) 5+ or (2) >5 credit cards in the past 24 months, they will deny your new account application? I think it's case (1) because I was denied a new card by Chase last month, and I just opened the free experian account as described above and counted 5 credit cards (open or closed) with opening date within last 24 months. Just want to double check.
Old May 8, 2018, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sfvoyage
Does Chase's 5/24 rule mean that if you have opened (1) 5+ or (2) >5 credit cards in the past 24 months, they will deny your new account application? I think it's case (1) because I was denied a new card by Chase last month, and I just opened the free experian account as described above and counted 5 credit cards (open or closed) with opening date within last 24 months. Just want to double check.
Yes, it's (1) 5+. There are no datapoints of anyone applying with exactly 5/24 being approved in recent times. (There were one or two loopholes in the past that have since gone away.)

I think the only remaining way to apply for a Chase card while being at 5+/24 for most people is to apply for one of the handful of Chase cards that aren't subject to 5/24 (ie, 5/24 is not evaluated when applying for those specific cards). They're mostly if not exclusively partner cards, and only a subset of partner cards. The list is in the wikipost atop the following thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...17-onward.html
Old May 9, 2018, 8:19 am

Programs: QR: Gold; Marriott: Amb; UA: 1K; Taj: Silv
Originally Posted by DELee
Do you need/want 50K points? Do you want more than that?

David
Originally Posted by phltraveler
There's no easy answer to that. Depends on your stay patterns.

You could theoretically apply separately for the new card rather than converting and get a higher bonus, but it may come with minimum spend, and that's a new inquiry/new account on your credit report.
If you don't spend a lot on the card regularly 50,000 points sounds easy. If you are clearing a lot of spend, you have to weigh the loss of the travel insurance benefit and 1 elite night per $3,000 in spend moving across the card against the slightly higher earn rate on everyday purchases, 1 extra point per dollar on marriott purchases, and the certificate being good for up to 35K point redemption rather than a 25K one on the old card.

With my current patterns (0-20% travel per month, old lifetime plat/new lifetime premier plat, not moving much if any spend on the card right now) I'd convert for 50K points. This is an individual consideration though, I don't need to chase nights anymore to re-qualify for current status or to qualify for any higher lifetime tier.
Sorry, was traveling and didn't get a chance to reply. I've been playing the Marriott game since 2015, and have been Platinum for all of them, with roughly 130 nights a year, having already qualified for Platinum for next year too (thank you rollover! RIP). I've got 400 nights and 1.1 million points in that time. So the 50k is useful if I want to push for Lifetime Platinum by the end of this year, more useful in some ways than the 15 elite credit nights that I would get in December. But there's no chance of LTPP, and given that my travel patterns over the next 5 years are going to be roughly the same, I could probably get to LTP anyways, while being Platinum Premiere with Ambassador over that timespan.

I use my Marriott card for all travel expenses. I already have 14 additional nights this year from spend.

So it becomes a points game on one hand, because more points equals more redemption opportunities. But keeping the old card allows me to hedge against the possibility that there may be a year where I don't get 75 nights, and allow me to shoot for 60 instead (or less, by getting more nights through spend), so that I can get to the 10 year requirement.

So, do I go for the immediate 50k and the increased earning, or hedge and keep the old card so that I have an insurance policy for getting to the 10 year requirement in the next 6 years?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.