Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Cancel Marriott Chase now or wait and "upgrade" card in May?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 5, 2018, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Here's the link to see your upgrade offer:

https://www.chase.com/chasegreatrewards/catchall
Print Wikipost

Cancel Marriott Chase now or wait and "upgrade" card in May?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2018, 6:28 am

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jfulcher
I actually don't see it on the T&C for the current premier card I have now, but know I get it. Wonder if they are doing away with it?
It's definitely in the current terms here:

7 You will earn 1 Elite night credit for each $3,000 in Net Purchases. (“Net Purchases” are purchases of goods and services made by you or any authorized user on your account minus any returns or refunds, and do not include balance transfers, cash advances, cash-like charges such as travelers checks, foreign currency, and money orders, any checks that access your account, overdraft advances, interest, unauthorized or fraudulent charges, or fees of any kind, including an annual fee, if applicable.) We have the right to determine which purchases qualify for this offer. We reserve the right to change or end this offer at any time. There is no limit to the number of Elite nights that you can earn. Please allow 6-8 weeks for Elite nights to be credited to your Marriott Rewards account from the last day of each calendar month you qualify. To qualify for the Elite nights, your account must be open and not in default at the time of processing and fulfillment. Chase is not responsible for offer fulfillment or the provision of or failure to provide the stated benefits and services.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 6:33 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by jeanie
I know on these Marriott merger posts that 90% of the discussion seems to be about people reading things differently. So I will add my opinion here. The FAQ states this:

I read this as specifically stating that the Premier Plus card and the Premier card are different products. I read it this way because they will be offering points to upgrade the Premier to the Premier Plus. If they were the same product, then an upgrade would not be needed or encouraged by Chase.

So I guess we will just have to wait to see the Terms and Conditions on May 3. Personally, I am very interested to see the terms of the upgrade offers referred to on the main landing page on this link. As I mentioned, it sounds like Chase wants people to voluntarily upgrade to the new Premier Plus. Depending on the upgrade options, it might be better to upgrade rather than opening the new card in order to avoid a new account counting towards 5/24.
Right so I can cancel my premier and apply for the premiere plus correct?
You basically cant have both which is curious as I now have both of the IHG cards
Old Apr 25, 2018, 12:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite, SPG Platinum
So the Marriott Rewards Premier Card is the one to choose. For me at least. It will still have the ELITE NIGHT CREDIT: You will earn 1 Elite night credit for each $3,000 in Net Purchases.
Very glad they kept this option.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by rebadc
You basically cant have both which is curious as I now have both of the IHG cards
The question is whether you have to wait 2 years from the last bonus on the Premier card to open the Premier Plus. I don't know the answer to that right now. So if you got the bonus on the Premier over 2 years ago, then you should be able to close it and apply for the Premier Plus.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 11:17 pm

Programs: M/R AMBASSADOR/LT/TIT/UASILVER/AAGOLD
For those trying to qualify for SNA’s, the elite night credit for 3K spend will get you there faster.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 7:54 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jtwiz
Very interesting. I am assuming that if I keep my existing card I will continue to receive that benefit, but as you noted, there is no mention of this with the new card. 100K points for the new card may not be as important to folks who need additional nights to hit their annual status level.
Or LT status. Since points don't matter anymore for LT status, some may be willing to give up the extra points in order to get 5-10 (or whatever) extra qualifying nights, on top of the 15 automatic with the card, to get to 75 and to count toward the LT total.

Edit to add: Just saw this in the ad, missed it earlier.
PATH TO GOLD STATUS when you spend $35,000 each account year

Under the $3000 rule, and with the 15 free nights, that kind of seems like the "path to Gold". Wonder if they keep the benefit but there's a cap on it. Either number of nights you can earn, or that cc nights can only be used to get to Gold status, not higher.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 11:42 am
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
As someone who's currently valuing nights over points, I think it's more advantageous for me to keep the older card with the $3000 elite night credits that I don't see in the terms of the new card. I do wonder if the new free night award will be point based (redeem for nights up to 35,000 points) instead of category based (compared to the Cat 1-5 certs which for instance can't be used on a Cat 6 pointsaver, even though it'd only be 25,000 points).
Old Apr 27, 2018, 3:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by ryw
As someone who's currently valuing nights over points, I think it's more advantageous for me to keep the older card with the $3000 elite night credits that I don't see in the terms of the new card. I do wonder if the new free night award will be point based (redeem for nights up to 35,000 points) instead of category based (compared to the Cat 1-5 certs which for instance can't be used on a Cat 6 pointsaver, even though it'd only be 25,000 points).
This is what I found..

MARRIOTT REWARDS® PREMIER
CREDIT CARD

ANNIVERSARY FREE NIGHT STAY E-CERTIFICATE: Please allow 6 to 8 weeks from your account anniversary date for your Anniversary Free Night Stay E-Certificate to be automatically deposited into your Marriott Rewards Account. Anniversary Free Night Stay E-Certificate is valid for hotels in categories 1-5.

ELITE NIGHT CREDIT: You will earn 1 Elite night credit for each $3,000 in Net Purchases.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ryw
There is a page out there about all the Chase Marriott cards (old and new) and there it says that the older card will give you an annual certificate for nights up to 25000 points. It's only the new card (which doesn't seem to earn an elite night for each $3000 in spend) that has the 35000 point certificate, the old card will have a 25000 point certificate.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 11:31 pm

Shelved my Marriott card. Was using it for almost everything. Now that points aren't important for LT status, I'm using my SPG card for only Marriott/SPG transactions until 1 Aug.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 11:47 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Are most of you holding out for the "upgrade" offer before deciding what to do?

LAX
Old Apr 29, 2018, 12:25 am

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by LAX
Are most of you holding out for the "upgrade" offer before deciding what to do?

LAX
Yes. I am waiting. If it's a good offer, why waste a hard pull?
Old Apr 29, 2018, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LF72
Shelved my Marriott card. Was using it for almost everything. Now that points aren't important for LT status, I'm using my SPG card for only Marriott/SPG transactions until 1 Aug.
Points are still important for any LT status you can achieve by the end of this year.

Points aren't important any more for any LT status you couldn't possibly achieve by the end of this year.

Ie, points will stop being important for LT status at the end of 2018.

Meanwhile, the current Marriott card gives you nights too, at an extra elite night for every $3000 of purchases.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by rebadc
​​​​​​If you book a 4-night reward stay, will you get the 4th night free, as well 10% points back?
Old Apr 30, 2018, 12:03 pm

Anyone hear of any updates on the card? It gets released on Friday and surprised they haven't spilled the beans on the upgrade bonus yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.